some general questions on the car i will buy
10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
@slowboy2
No im sure its a 4AGE because of how it looks and
you would need to be isanely lucky to get a 3sge trough the belgium inspection,its impossible Smile
I found a picture of how it looks
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9G...6BVP49y2SQ
4AGE look+toyota 1600 in black and twin cam black & 16 valve red+TVIS system,cant be anything else than a bigport redtop.
Im still not sure why he has done it,im hoping internal tuning Hurray!

@Bean Bandit
Yes 160 hp is my aim,if i read correctly anything above will start to get expensive.
Since the engine is young it might indeed be the right choice to stick with it like you say @ 160hp
on further reading i start with 9.4:1 compression on the bigport engine
I was indeed thinking of a 0.8 mm TRD Metal Head Gasket.
So it might be best to replace the rodbolts then?(arp are the best choice then i think?)

The more i think about it the more i go towards the 272 cams,
for me i think this will be the perfect range since im not going above 160 hp anyway.above 272 or 280 will probably be alot of stress for not that much power gain?
or not?

some cams i have found so far
HKS
Duration: 272 / Lift: 8.35mm, Intake / Exhaust
Duration: 288 / Lift: 8.30mm, Intake / Exhaust
Still doable lift?

Not sure yet on throttle bodies,not allowed in belgium
maybe if i can hide them like in the silvertop manifold Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------
Starting to research also for a rollcage/sport seats.
I tought i found a brand close by in safety devices but there cages dont look to safe.I might go to someone locally who makes them.
Whats really annoying is that only bolt in cages are allowed here in belgium.

About the seats,is it best to reuse the standard rail from seats or weld in 2 bars and put them on there?

so much questions,
but i rather have everything planned before than surprises after Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
10-01-2011, 10:43 AM
depends on your budget and use of the car really - if you plan to spend extended times near the rev limit then some updated rod bolts would be good advise... if you can do all the work involved yourself it's a cheap safety upgrade as ARP rodbolt can be had for ~50US$

if you're lucky you could achieve your goal with bolt-on's only personally I would spend some money on top for a standalone ECU and have it mapped to get the most out of your modifications and if you plan to go further in the future this is something less to worry about. For mapping there is a good place just across the boarder to the north (DP engineering if I remember right - Steve from FC-Tuning is holding mapping days every now and again and can tune just about everything).
so engine wise I'd say: cams, headgasket, revising the stock exhaust where it goes over the axle or replacing the whole thing and ECU should see you hit your goal. Obviously there are a lot of things you could do too but mostly only with diminishing returns or serious money involved.

But first and foremost and probably the most valuable advise I can give looking back at 10+ years of thinkering with cars is: drive drive drive, there's nothinig more anoying to have a car that's not running so my advise is to focus on seat time and suspension - this is by far the cheapest recipe for loads of fun! I spent dozens of laps around the Nurburgring with the only mods being spring/damper combo, some adjustable camber tops and proper tires - I miss this now more than ever being so far away from racetracks/europe.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks againSmile

My opnion is also that driving/safety/fun are top priority and engine tuning will come last. But i like to plan ahead because i want to learn more about the car and thinking ahead.

My priority list goes:
*safety
*suspension/driving
*tuning

For now i will just learn the car with regular driving on the road here until all safety measurs are installed in the car(rollcage:sport seats and harness)
Im lucky that the exhaust line and suspension is already done by the previous owner so i don't have to do that for now(Janspeed full exhaust & koni's)
That's not much for arp bolts,think i will do it anyway as a safety reason Smile
Camber plates are forbidden in belgium
Lucky for me i live in a place where there are tons of rally's and rally is really living under the people so i have tons of places where i can go.
I now 2-3 places where the owner drives rally with an ae86 where i can go.

Just bucket seats a rollcage and harness and im ready to go for a long time.
+If im lucky the previous owner did some tuning on the engine alreadySmile

3 more days and then waiting until 22/10/2011 until i can drive the car.
10-01-2011, 08:21 PM
You can put some camberplates on it. Just take them of when it's 'inspection' time. I have d2 coilovers with camberplates and this car will be my daily.

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - some general questions on t...i will buy]
10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
as the car is 25 years old aren't you allowed to do more?
I used to go to mijnatelier.be and he has building an old car that was fully modified...

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Yes , if you register it as a 'oldtimer'. Then you can do a bit more but you are restricted to some rules. You can't use it as a 'daily driver', only for shows or testdrives. People used to do this alot and don't care about the rules. But police has gotten instructions to be very strict about this nowadays.

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - some general questions on t...i will buy]
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
true,

its way to risky now to drive arround with o plates.
I have seen alot more controles for numbers plates lately.
10-07-2011, 06:41 AM
previous owner used total 10W40
im guessing this oil TOTAL Quartz 7000 10W-40
Is this good oil for the ae86?,i would be using the same if it was.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zenki Trueno Stickers and Paint code questions andyling 1 2,980 05-05-2012 12:56 PM
Last Post: andyling
  Some random AE86 questions pack 9 8,639 10-03-2011 10:30 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  Newbe Questions: dsrxems 7 6,033 02-13-2010 03:13 AM
Last Post: Gnugfur
  hi aeu86 forums. i'm a noob and i have questions. ddldave 5 5,331 09-19-2007 09:17 AM
Last Post: Mux213
  Ive got some good news, and some bad news. Knudsen 35 23,190 03-02-2007 08:55 PM
Last Post: Jan Pedersen