had a sick idea...
02-15-2006, 08:53 AM
had a sick idea...
Hi again, have a question for you,
Ive heard of all the usual engine swaps and of the new craze the Honda S2000 swap (i really like this idea Evil but engine too dear Confused )
But, has anybody ever put a Honda Integra Type R engine into an AE86? Can it be used in a RWD application? Has anyone made a bellhousing for one? Thanks guys

My babies - http://www.aeu86.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1432
Find all posts by this user
02-15-2006, 09:20 AM
had a sick idea...
Howdy,

the new Civic Type R (K20 - also in the JDM Integra Type R) and s2000 (F20) engines are the only ones that spin the right way so they can be longitudinally (unless you build up some weird and whacky transfer box to switch the rotation of the prop). The K20 motor isn't quite as tall as the F20 too which is a bonus when fitting in a hachi - and I believe power can be more easily extracted from this motor (however I can't ever see a need for much more than the F20s standard power output)

There is a company that produces a rwd bellhousing for the K20 motor - will try and find the details for you.

I have also heard that the mounting points on the block are not especially well suited to long-mount rwd. Here is what one looks like in the back of an elise.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - had a sick idea...]

hmmm.... exhaust manifold

oh - and you may find pricewise that a K20 motor is about similar in cost to the F20 - the reason being people buy up the salvage engines to drop into elises (and westfields/caterhams now the belhousing is available)

In fact Mr Max Misawa is doing a K20 swap as we speak I think.

Regards Ian.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2006, 09:51 AM
had a sick idea...
that was fast, thanks,
Wow, thats some crazy exhaust!
Just have to wait untill the Hairdressers of the world encounter oversteer so and there'll be a few more engines about Thumbs up!

My babies - http://www.aeu86.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1432
Find all posts by this user
02-15-2006, 10:23 AM
had a sick idea...
omg.. exhaust manifold Huh

AE86 Project
02-15-2006, 10:27 AM
had a sick idea...
I've actually seen that car in the flesh - it belongs to a guy called Ian Wilson. I believe he lives in the netherlands but is originally from New Zealand - he used to travel to england to do trackdays at bedford autodrome with seloc - the lotus club.

His build up thread is right here. Its a good read.

Regards Ian.
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
had a sick idea...
2bad..

Error
You must be registered to view these boards. Register OR Login

AE86 Project
02-16-2006, 02:14 AM
had a sick idea...
As far as making the wheels spin in the correct direction without thinking too hard or spending too much money...

I've had friends who used to flip the read end upside down...

all it takes is cutting and rewelding all the 4 link mounting points, spring perch... and then you put one of those Honda engines in there, and everything is ok...

they did this for a different purpose... it was to have 5 gears in reverse, for destruction derby type races Smile

Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
02-16-2006, 11:25 AM
had a sick idea...
Does the gearbox work both ways? I somehow doubt it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
had a sick idea...
Since you need to make a custom bellhousing for the honda FWD engines, you can get any gearbox you want, so you can get one that spins the correct way... and since there are companies making bellhousings for them already, it means they work with some boxes.

Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone had any experience transplanting roof skins? Jezza_hr 27 22,163 01-13-2013 11:46 AM
Last Post: Vaptor
  Sick little Hachi cab32 19 12,972 11-13-2006 05:48 PM
Last Post: cab32
  non progressive, red springs. Anyone any idea? The Doctor 15 11,177 02-16-2006 03:37 AM
Last Post: NoHachi