Head gasket installation
02-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Head gasket installation
Hi guys, it`s been a while but i`m back after a busy period.Now I am very busy again,with my MR2 mark I Sad .

A month ago the head gasket popped so I started disassembling the belt,manifolds and cilinder head.The head is now shimmed and all parts looked pretty ok for 200.000 kilometers.Last week i was gathering stuff to put everything back together (gaskets,tools).

Today I tried to put everything back together but something went wrong.Preparations were all done,oiling the bolts,cleaning the surface and so on.I put the head gasket on the block,put the cilinder head on the gasket,put in the bolts (long ones on exhaust side,short ones on intake side)and set them all on 29 Nm in the right order.Next step said i should turn all bolts 90 degrees clockwise.OK done.Now it said i had to turn them another 90 degrees.

Thats when the s... hit the fan.My tool snapped.after some (long) moments of swearing i thought i should post the question of how other people handled this problem.

I used a 10mm 1/4 inch socket (the only thing that fitted in the head),on top of that was a socket that turned the 1/4 into a 3/8,and on that was a socket which turned the 3/8 into a 1/2 inch socket so i could use a torque wrench with a 1/2 inch connection.

I read about sst´s somewhere,should i buy one of those or are there other ways of mounting my cilinder head back?I disassembled everything again, Is it recommended to throw the new head gasket i used away and buy a new one?

I hope i can drive it soon again because the car i drive in now has a horrible handling,is slow and looks crappy.really missing my mr2,and my ae86 even more Tongue

Real men race downhill
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil leak (maybe a cylinder head gasket?) max_ae86 15 15,813 11-30-2013 03:59 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  4AGE Heat Shielding Intake Gasket asyrigos 11 22,733 04-01-2013 10:58 AM
Last Post: asyrigos
  techno toy tuning rear strut tower braces....installation ?. J_who_ez 14 17,217 09-18-2010 04:33 PM
Last Post: PatrickAE86
  Doing a 7AGE build, gasket question Snejk 9 13,450 07-15-2010 12:42 PM
Last Post: PetzK
  Head Gasket Replacement - Block Surface Question ?? juantonwan 4 5,211 06-11-2009 02:24 PM
Last Post: ZDoman