Problem with TOMEI LSD
10-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
Last weekend i managed to finally fit a TOMEI 2 way LSD to my car, added the proper LSD oil (Fuchs titan LS 90) and went for the break in. First the car was very noisy (quite normal) clanking and doing some grrrr, i started doing 8s and 30mins later it seemed that it was quieter but 15mins later the clanks were switched by grrrrrs and the halfshafts didnt seem to be grabbing to the LSD... so i would drop the clutch, give it a little gas and the rpms went up but the car wouldnt move and all i heard was the grrrr getting louder along with the rpms going up... finally i towed the car to the garage and dissambled the LSD. Everything seems ok with the halfshafts and i dont see anything wrong in the chrown and pinion... The LSD oil was a little dirty but nothing special really... The LSD was put in place by an old toyota mechanic which tuned it...

So.... i think i have the following options...

1- halfshafts not fitting tightly... Strange because the car is a fase 2 and the LSd is for fase 2

2- Problem inside the LSD...

3- LSD not mounted properly...

Open to opinions.. any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

João Soares

85 Red Toyota Corolla GT - project "vouàfalencia"
Find all posts by this user
10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
hmm...either the LSD is broken on the inside or the axles are wrong.. but if the halfshafts look alright after inspection I would assume the LSD has gone bad.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
Yes halfshafts look OK, they re not messed up like it would be supposed if that was the problem... The LSD is being taken apart tonight, tomorrow i ll probably know whats wrong Angry

10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
If you intend to disassemble the lsd unit I would suggest you send an e-mail to TOMEI first and explain them your problem.

I have a KAAZ 2-way lsd installed pretty soon. After i did the break in procedure the sound got worse and i started swetting - it sounded like the halfshafts were spinning inside the diff but i HAD grip which does not seem to be your case. Anyway, it turned out to be normal and now the diff is pretty quiete.

If you disassemble the diff, make close up pictures and post them. Shoot the halfshaft inner endings also.

1984 Toyota Corolla 4AGE 20v
2007 Subaru Impreza STi
10-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
Well i measured the halfshafts and surprise surprise... They re from a zenki car.... and mines a kounki and so is the LSD... Strangely the halfshafts are not damaged roughly or whatsoever, just got some kouki halfshafts and im going to try them on tomorrow, i just hope i didnt mess up the LSD Banging head Thanks for the help

10-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
joao, I guess good news then!! Big Grin Interesting how you ended up with zenki shafts then...Big Grin

now the hunt for kouki shafts begins....

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
Better swap the LSD.
10-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
Mux, the hunt was very brief, i already had borrowed some kouki halfshafts from a friend in that same day (they are extras). I fitted them today and the LSD grabs them much much better, lets see if the zenki halfashafts didnt make any considerable damage in the LSD when i put it rolling but that will only be possible next week, now i ll have to change rear wheel bearings and other parts because the kouki halfshafts are a bit rusty (and the bearings on those are goners).

Jamiemirror, so i should throw the lsd in the garbage and buy a new one? Any special reason that i might be missing? Except of course the one that the halfshafts damaged the LSD and then i would have to buy TOMEI only the inserts i believe, but let me know.

Thanks for the help

10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
joao,

kouki shafts are rare this side of europa, then again, forgot alot more hachi's were sold in portugal Big Grin

I guess jamie just refering it might be easier to buy zenki diffBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Problem with TOMEI LSD
Joao, is the LSD already damaged ????
My point is that it may be cheaper to change LSD (not thrash but sell this one and buy Zenki one) than to find Kouki halfshafts in Europe (new Rear Halfshaft - Late type large (bearing not included) £175.15 , second hand Halfshaft [Large - no bearing] £45.00 - FENSPORT, not included VAT and shipping).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tomei 16V poncams + Tomei technical trax 1.5 way LSD Lt86 22 17,407 09-16-2016 09:56 PM
Last Post: Alex170984
  4agZe problem solved - 99% IC problem Okami 41 32,931 07-12-2012 04:49 PM
Last Post: Okami
  AC problem? Idle problem? KD2229 3 4,374 08-19-2009 02:08 AM
Last Post: KD2229
  Upgrading no-LSD diff to LSD one Snejk 22 16,371 04-01-2008 04:46 PM
Last Post: Snejk
  Not understanding LSD - how LSD works surfingdrums 11 14,874 09-13-2006 11:58 AM
Last Post: Mux213