Upgrading no-LSD diff to LSD one
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Hello guys!

This is my first post and I have been driving an Zenki Levin for some time. I will be presenting you with the pictures when I get it looking a bit nicer Smile, but here is my main current problem:

I need a new diff, and I have found an open AE86 diff for a pretty low price but I would like to know can it be upgraded to LSD, if it can what parts would I need, and if it cannot be done, where do I get a complete LSD diff that would fit my car. Sorry for the questions straight from the first post, but AE86's don't like standing in the garages Smile.

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Depending on your application I would weld the open diff for maximum lock,,, not for daily driving though

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
02-17-2008, 02:07 AM
It is being used as a daily driver, so that would be an overkill Smile. But an extreme idea nonetheless!
02-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Definitely don't lock it. Putting an OEM LSD centre in my daily driver was one of the best things I ever did for the car.
02-17-2008, 10:52 AM
or just put in a trd 2 way:-) thats very easy:-) i have done that.
02-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Erik_dk Wrote:or just put in a trd 2 way:-) thats very easy:-) i have done that.

Where did you get it in Europe and for how much? I don't mind if it's used. Smile

I would have to buy just this, put it into an open ae86 diff and that would be it? Smile
02-17-2008, 12:17 PM
i have one for sale+axles

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Upgrading no-LSD diff to LSD one]

sr86 completed!!........漂うことのマスター!!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Whats wrong with a welded diff for everyday driving, just a bit of extra noise and wheel skipping when turning tight at very low speeds.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Can someone please end my dillema - can I fit an TRD 2 Way LSD centre in an Zenki open diff? Smile
02-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Snejk,

The problem is the axle itself, if you orignally have an open diff rear end you probably need to swap out more then just the diff, the axle is different.

Now I have to admit, I am not sure about the difference between an SR5 open diff rear end with drum brakes, which definately is a different axle then the GTS one, and a GTS open diff rear end compared to a GTS with LSD which might actually be the same and means that you can simply drop in an LSD. There aren't many open diff GTSs around here soSmile

However you mentioned that you found an open diff, so the question is, what do you currently have on your car? You do not change the diff unit itself to LSD, you probably can throw away the spare unit you have bought depending on what you got on your car.

If you have a normal GTS rear end with (broken) LSD with disc brakes, good chance you simply either buy a new LSD unit and get it installed by a profesional (simply take out and replace the LSD, the trick is getting it adjusted just right so you don't mess up the RNP gears), or buy the whole unit with RNP installed second hand but they are hard to find.

SYM (USA), Max (USA) and Speed-inc (Swiss) here on the forum can get you a brand new LSD from several brands.

Owh, you have a zenki levin, make sure you buy a zenki LSD or it won't fit, kouki is slightly different size.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  upgrading brake system AE86-SA 36 28,236 05-22-2012 02:07 PM
Last Post: GTRJazz
  What Diff Oil For a Clutch plate diff? jamieae86 10 12,971 12-16-2011 11:14 AM
Last Post: bakonick
  changing diff ratio, broken LSD??? fax0815 6 7,156 09-06-2011 08:19 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  weight diff head diff center fax0815 5 6,063 12-21-2010 03:03 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  Celica F-diff with Hilux/ Pickup Torsen diff Roye 7 10,700 04-29-2008 09:13 PM
Last Post: Roye