Oil cooler fitting with power steering
05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
We've been having a look at fitting this oil cooler. I bought the kit from Driftworks.

I've got power steering and aircon, so there isn't much room. Looks like we'll have to drill a hole through the front panel. There is room to mount it in front of the aircon rad okay.

But, where the oil filter is, it is pretty close to the power steering bracket. The sandwich plate (a Mocal one) is not overly large, but just wondered if anyone else had encountered any problems with regard to this.

We're thinking it's better to to run the hoses by the distributor and through the front panel. We might have enough hose length to run underneath the air con pump, but think it's a bit risky.

Would appreciate any ideas or pointers on this.

1985 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
2013 GT86 Miltek Exhaust, Injen Induction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Whilst you say it's risky to run the lines underneath the aircon, I would consider it to be your better option if you still have the bit of plastic that shields your engine bay from grit (the technical term seems to have left my brain) as it's likely to be a tight squeeze between the dizzy and power steering. You also run the risk of it rubbing against the belt if it's not secured high enough for the other option, the lines would also have to go over the top of the radiator or make an odd detour further down.

If this fails completely, you could always look at an oil filter relocation kit and mount it close to the battery for extra length Tongue
Find all posts by this user
05-19-2011, 12:12 AM
The undertray is there, Jez. Thing is, I have aircon as well so it'd be right on it.

Hmm, filter relocation kits can be expensive from what I saw (I could be wrong).

I did sort of suggest going underneath, Mark wasn't that keen. I will have another good look at going underneath.

05-19-2011, 02:41 AM
or just get rid of aircon
05-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Lauren Wrote:The undertray
That's the one!

I know you don't like the idea of removing the aircon, so I would consider going under it to be your best option with what you have. I have water pipes that go under my alternator on the other side and that has yet to cause me any issues.
05-19-2011, 09:18 AM
JGeorge Wrote:or just get rid of aircon

I'm not getting rid of the aircon. It works, I use it.

Jez, will try and have a look tonight if the weather plays ball. Did have a look at relocation kits, but blimey they ain't cheap!

05-19-2011, 02:03 PM
fair enough. i just use the window and my right foot.
05-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Can you route the hoses through the factory holes in the front core support next to the radiator? That's where toyota routed the stock oil lines IIRC. It should be next to the frame rail on the left side of the car.

Andrew
05-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for that Andrew will have a look see if it's do-able.

05-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I've had a look, Andrew, it's where the air con pipes go, though I may be able to make the hole bigger to enable the oil cooler lines to go through there as well. Think it would be a neater way of doing it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fitting Air Con (No PS) to LHD AE86 pack 7 3,199 01-07-2024 11:36 AM
Last Post: CCB
  Mocal oil cooler & sandwitch plate ordered Gtsi-R 48 51,254 11-18-2022 02:19 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Fitting Fibreglass Kouki Lip? chrisae86 3 1,626 02-25-2022 08:14 PM
Last Post: chrisae86
  Power steering clunk Jezza_hr 12 13,674 09-24-2021 01:42 PM
Last Post: pack
  Oil cooler totta Crolla 0 1,358 07-25-2021 03:25 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla