NL: Robert
12-16-2020, 11:24 AM
As i'm not that familiar yet with al the good places to have my car serviced I was advised by Vernon (Driftpinda) to contact one of his close friends who has had a few 86's in the past and now has a KE70 3 door station with a blacktop in it. Very nice guy and he showed me the way to the guy who helpen him over the last years: Seba in Lelystad.
However, he outsourced the overhaul itself to MRF in Emmeloord.
Took them quite a few weeks to sort everything out and get the right parts. Just did not post until last week or so.

As for the 5000km <4krpm, I think they (Seba and MRF) are quite oldfashioned on this matter. They would not give me any warranty if I did not live up to their requirements. I was absolutely forbidden to hoon about or to go drifting.
Find all posts by this user
12-16-2020, 06:59 PM
If it has new piston rings, some cylinder pressure can help seat them.
That does not mean hooning or drifting, but it does involve giving it some controlled welly.
I would advise you to inform yourself as much as you can on this subject and make your own decision on how to proceed.
There is a bunch of info in this youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ruk6GLJgbA&t=1281s
But I have to admit I zoned out while watching and cant give you a TLDW summary.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-16-2020, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2020 11:24 PM by r.ave.)
Yes, pistonrings were replaced as well to my knowledge. Thanks for the tip, i’ll look at it and will discuss it with the mad mechanics.

And I receieved some centercaps in the mail for the watanabe's....the finishing touch!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - NL: Robert]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-20-2020, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2020 12:43 AM by bozu.)
5000km is way over the top. If your piston rings do not seat properly within the first couple of hundred km’s they never will.

Are you running mineral oil or synthetic?

AE86 Levin
12-20-2020, 09:45 PM
I think it's half synth.

I called the overhaul company. As I expected and mentioned earlier, the garage who took the engine out is a but old fashioned when it comes to this.
They explained to me that being easy with the engine for the first 1500km would be fine.
No hooning or drifting, but just some controlled welly (as mentioned by Ivan141) is fine.
12-20-2020, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2020 10:30 PM by Ivan141.)
There is a point in using the roughness of the fresh cylinder hone pattern to seat the rings, but you should not be getting close to the rev limiter I imagine.
Nothing wrong with being careful with a new build but if you completely granny-drive it, the rings wont seat as well as they should and it will end up less powerful / use more oil.
Also remember to do your first oil change quite early.. like 500km IIRC. If anything ends up in the oil, you want it out as soon as possible.
But that's enough regurgitated internet wisdom from me..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
12-20-2020, 11:40 PM
(12-20-2020 09:45 PM)r.ave Wrote:  I think it's half synth.

From what I know mineral oil is preferred during run in. Full synthetic is to slippery. You actually want some friction to let the rings bed in correctly. Don’t know about half synth.

For info, on my engine I used 10w40 Miller run in oil.

AE86 Levin
12-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm fine and the engine is done properly. They were just being extra cautious.
Talked about doing an oil change quite soon already, so everything will be ok.

Another issue popped op the other day breaking in the engine, have a small rattle when the clutch is free and the gearbox is in neutral. When pressing the clutch the sound is gone. The sound is only there with a warm engine and gearbox. Already have it checked (from the outside) with a stethoscope. Even though it sounds like the rattle is gone when pressing the clutch, it remains in the gearbox. Oil is still clear and fresh (was done 2k ago)...
05-21-2021, 10:57 PM
Today I was happy to see Robert's AE86 IRL:
A very good looking 3 door! Hurray!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
05-24-2021, 06:42 PM
Thank you very much for the compliment and thanks again for the parts!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robert in Japan EP Importers 1 4,426 06-22-2022 11:15 AM
Last Post: EP Importers