My GT coupe
03-02-2013, 07:05 PM
My GT coupe
Super om te lezen!

http://bruutt.blogspot.nl/
Projects: Lancer evo 4 rs, ae86 drifter, carina ta60 4a-ge & ae82gt twin cam..
Find all posts by this user
03-03-2013, 02:40 PM
My GT coupe
a small update from 2006 to 2013..

I sold the car in 2006 to my brother due to circumstances.I was moving and did not have place for the hachi anymore at my next home.I was ok with it because it would stay in the family.

the aw11 that i had also failed the mot on rust and i did not have time to repair this.the aw11 was sold and i bought a troublefree boring corsa b as a daily driver, still drive it.

now it's 2013, my brother made little progress in the meantime because he has other priorities.

I said to him, you now have 2 levins and neither one drives.we have to make a plan to make this work.I found an old garage for rent in the neighbourhood including tools so I bought back the red levin from my brother.

The idea is that one of the 2 cars is always ready for a drive, since the silver one is completely stripped the red one is chosen to be road-legal.

So step 1 is MOT for the red one, we replaced a lot of things before we took it to the mot.replaced all brake hoses,steering knuckles, steering rack rubbers,replaced the front rubbers with the prothane set,disassembled all the brake parts and cleaned them.replaced braking fluid ans repaired A LOT of rust.replaced the front fenders with xtr FRP ones,sealed of the leaky sunroof.

The car was checked for MOT friday, I have to weld the exhaust some more (its leaking) and the beams where the rear bumper bracket slides into is rotten to far (i knew this one was on the edge)all other things are ok.

step 2 is to make the car technical reliable.
big maintenance has to be carried out, oil,coolant, and belts are at least 12 years old an in a fixed position.

the clutch slips when you floor it at 5000 rpm

there is an lsd inside but it is not working, when you spin the rear wheel the other one spins the opposite way.have to check out what the problem is here, so i probably swap the rear axle with the one from the silver levin and then repair this one

the gas tank in this car does not have a swirl tank, its from a sr5 i think, i lost my original tank.i had to mod this one to make the fuel pump fit.in long corners the engine stalls because the fuelpump pumps air, the filler hose assembly was salvaged from a suzuki alto and modified, works good.

step 3 would be the extra's. lowering springs,camber plates, a cage, there's still a BT lying around here somewhere...

so the end goal is a reliable, strong car. i do not care about the looks very much, functionality and fun are most important.the silver one will become neat, in the meantime we have to play with this one.

will post more pictures later

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Real men race downhill
03-03-2013, 09:10 PM
My GT coupe
Good to hear from you after all these years! Also great to hear there is progress! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - My GT coupe]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2013, 05:39 PM
My GT coupe
Stage 1 finished.

The car passed the MOT!! Hurray!

finished up the welding work yesterday, wanted to start the car but the starter motor did not turn.tapped it lightly with a hammer.fixed for now.will check the starter motor when the clutch is disassembled

then one injector started leaking, so i changed the rubber o-ring.can't really blame the car since it stood still for 10 years.

ordered a clutch, and stuff for big engine maintenance (belts,oil,filters).after that, the rear axle has to be swapped with the one that has a working LSD, nice opportunity to swap the old rubbers with the prothane ones Cool

Real men race downhill
03-08-2013, 07:20 PM
My GT coupe
Congratulations! Great job, and a good inspiraton for me to get going again.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-16-2013, 08:23 PM
My GT coupe
repaired the clutch today, the old one doesn't look very worn out, but the springs in de diaphragm aren't parralel anymore, the bearing was worn out.within the first few cm pressed on the clutch pedal you could release the clutch so i assumed the plate was worn out.the pedal feel is now much better.

changing the clutch is a breeze.

the distribution belt that i received had a defect, the fibers were visible and 2 fibers were broken so i had to exchange it for a new one they had to order.

ordered a new relais for the starter motor.

when everything is back up and running i am gonna check my spare rear axle and repair it, and then exchange it with the one that is under the car now.

Real men race downhill
10-14-2013, 06:08 PM
My GT coupe
Little update,

Tha gearbox cracked down, in second gear the car made a LOT of noise so i assembled the other gearbox which looked still pretty good.swapped it and when i drained the oil, a tooth was on the drain plug, crap...

so we are on the road again, drove it hard for half an hour, no problems at all, only problem is that the sole of my shoe started melting, there are no carpets in the car Tongue

started on the spare rear axle. the wheel bearings were shot so bought 2 sets and replaced them.Measeaured the diff according to the repair manual, backlash and teeth still looked very good after 200.000 km.put some blue lead on the teeth to see the contact pattern beforehand.

disassembled the LSD and put in the T3 shim kit, wonder how that will turn out.replaced all the bearings and assembled the diff according to the workshop manual (small investment in tools needed)made a contact pattern again, since the ring and pinion are the same (they looked good) i kept the pinion depth shim the same to start with.

this is how it looks now, i might need some readjustment but have to check the internet for some more examples of how it should look.what do you guys think?

I also have a solid spacer lying here.

Real men race downhill
06-03-2014, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 07:25 PM by wouter86.)
My GT coupe
Swapped out the rear axle without any problems, broke in the new diff plates accordingly.It drives better then the old one, little more bite and less noise due to the new wheel bearings.

New brake discs are mounted with m1144 brake pads in the front and rear, nice upgrade.

bought a set of adjustable strut braces (front and rear) and since the rear one doesn't have a big effect but was only 20 euros extra, i cut it up to make the front strut brace a tri-bar.

rear shocks and springs are replaced with trd blue ones, it was needed because the old shocks reacted differently on input.

The front coilovers were still at someone that whas going to make camber plates for them, dropped them off 6 years ago but he still had them lying around unfinished haha.But now they are complete, i only need the small rollerbearings that are on top whhich should arive this week.

Also ordered new front wheel bearings, T3 shock tower plates and front fender braces to stiffen the front up a little to match the stiffer spring/shock combo.

In july the some parts are going to get repainted(fenders, sideskirts and rear wheel arches.

in the meantime, keep on rolling Cool

Real men race downhill
06-22-2014, 12:23 PM
My GT coupe
front fender braces are now mounted, ordered them from ultra racing.Fitted fairly easily, had to bend away some small parts of the chassis to make it fit.Mounting the bolts is a bit tricky since my hand couldn't fit inside the fender, but i pulled it off by clamping the nut on a welding wire and fiddle a bit.

Front struts are mounted in combination with the camber plates.The wheels that i have now are not a good fit, the tire rubs against the strut just a little bit.I also can't lower the car too much because the spring seat ring will touch the top of the tire.

These struts probably need a really different offset wheel.The khamsin one are +18 and fitted nice with the standard struts.I tried the BBS rims which are +5 offset, it looks a lot better but still not ok.

I checked online and people who use these struts run on et -20 Huh

So right now i shimmed out the wheel with rings just to check how much it should be spaced out to fit and a 20mm wheel adapter should do the trick.but since there is now not enough thread left to screw the bolts on i jacked up the suspension to check.I need to remove the plastic inner fender but looks like this is the way to go.

Real men race downhill
06-22-2014, 01:01 PM
My GT coupe
Wow nice build, very fun to read!

Pffff, 2005/06: A time where AE86's were still found for 500-1000 euro's :O
If there was a proper working AE86 for sale for 1500 right now I would sell my room and live in the car XD

Quote:β€œThe One With The Stronger Heart, Always Wins The Battle!!!”
Let's Go Out of Here..... Together.....
β€œ1988 Toyota MR2 AW11, My Go-Kart AE86!”