LSD progressively getting more noisy...
08-20-2011, 08:14 PM
I hope some of you can provide some advice on my LSD - I have told by the seller that it is a TRD but haven't had it verified. Sorry if this is a little long but telling the full story may highlight the issue. BTW I have done much searching on this subject before posting this.

When I bought my 86 I stuck in on a dyno; I could see the left rear wheel wobbling. It was discovered the left halfshaft was bent. I had the shaft and wheel bearing replaced. I had the Diff oil replaced - it was significantly tighter than before.

Now I had a vibration from the brakes, due to them wearing strangly with the bent shaft. I replaced the brakes but now I got a strange noise from the rear right. I had the right halfshaft measured - it was not bent but the hub face (that the disc fits too) was not true. I had the face machined. This took around 3 weeks, during which my car was outside on axle stands with a plastic bag over the open end of the axle (it is usually garaged).

After the shaft was installed I noticed a strange noise from the rear of the vehicle during tight cornering - parking, roundabouts and junctions. At first it was occasional, but over the last 2 months it has got much worse. I would describe the noise as a series of clunks - I guess it is the LSD stick-slipping. After some advice I changed the oil, as I didn't know what oil had been installed.

I've filled the diff with Millers CRX LS 75W140 NT hoping to not only make the diff quieter but also reduce some locking - I'm a grip guy, not drifter. I still get the some clunking but it sounds more hollow/metalic than before and I frequently get chatter as well. I've checked the halfshaft and prop shaft nuts/bolts, all are to the correct torque.

If I try to park in a car park everyone turns around to see where all the noise is coming from! Also I'm scared of driving the car in 1st gear with much throttle in case I end up breaking something.

Any ideas what is wrong and what to check next?
I am hoping it is something obvious, simple and cheap - I do not fancy rebuilding my LSD over the winter.

Thanks in advance for your help!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - LSD progressively getting more noisy...]
Find all posts by this user
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Buy some friction modifier and add a little to your current fluid. It could be the fluid you purchased doesn't have enough in it to start with to give it that quiet/smooth LSD action you want.

Andrew
08-23-2011, 03:53 PM
assassin10000 Wrote:Buy some friction modifier and add a little to your current fluid. It could be the fluid you purchased doesn't have enough in it to start with to give it that quiet/smooth LSD action you want.

Andrew

x2 i had the exact problem with my trd lsd so dropped the oil and refilled with redline gear oil and it is like a different car to drive now not 1 noise off it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  getting new sparkplugs, or keep away ? MC_JP 5 5,597 09-19-2014 11:35 PM
Last Post: Project D
  the many more 4AGZE questions topic ditn 39 37,229 05-31-2013 11:35 PM
Last Post: ditn
  More positive gear change phill 92 12 10,761 05-21-2012 10:51 PM
Last Post: phill 92
  Velocity stacks = more power, now which to get? 4000GT 38 46,339 02-22-2012 01:19 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Rollcage as a way to get the car more rigid? heshan 3 4,562 05-21-2011 08:46 PM
Last Post: heshan