LEEN Gearbox Conversion: LexusIS200 AZ6 to Toyota "A&qu
09-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Many of you know about my trials and tribulations over getting the AZ6 adapter finished. Where I failed - Joe, from LEEN Gearbox Conversions, has spent the time, and money to bring this to the community. The first run of 5 units is now finished there is 4 units presold, that leaves one unit available for sale!!!! Once these 5 units are sold, Joe's intentions are to make a 2nd run, adding a few more units in each successive production runs.

LEEN Gearbox Conversions Wrote:And now, watch and enjoy Big Grin :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/siY-DbHbiO4

Over the last two weeks we have undertaken the fitting of a complete LEEN Adaptor kit, Gear Lever Kit, Speedometer Unit and Gearbox Bracket to an AE86. We now have our first LEEN 6 Speed AE86 Conversion complete and back in the hands of its owner ! No standard Car but a 182 BHP supercharged excellently modified machine !

I would particularly like to thank Joe (Joe81) for giving us the opportunity to test the components in his car. Also want to thank Shaft Tec based in Charleville for an excellent job on the driveshaft and also thanks to Brian who worked with me throughout the installation.

It begins .... :eek:

Here is the Car in question ...

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - LEEN Gearbox Conversion: Le...t;A&qu]

Remove one T50 gearbox and add a pilot extension ...

Add a custom LEEN 6 Paddle clutch which engages the SXE10 Input Shaft (at LEEN we like the number 6 Wink)...

Bolt on the pressure plate ...

Then take one 6 Speed IS200 gearbox and add a LEEN SXE10 AE86 Adaptor Kit and a LEEN Gear Lever Kit ...

+

and you get a LEEN IS200 Gearbox ...

Install into a willing AE86 ...

And for good measure without the clutch and pressure plate installed verify the input shaft engages the pilot bearing extension ...

Check the clearance down the passengers side and no modification to the tunnel required !!!

And also on the right ...

Verify the location of the Gear Lever Unit, interesting - no modification to the tunnel required ...

From inside the car ...

And finally ...

Finally the most difficult part - giving it back Sad

Joe is testing the car as of Sunday morning and all is going well.

The speedometer is over reading, so I'm back checking ratio's and verifing the final drive. At this point if there is any aspects which need re-design I'm happy for them to be highlighted at this early stage. So not a problem !!

LEEN Gearbox Conversions is not VAT registered, so this basically means where ever you are in the world, these are the prices.

The minimum LEEN Gearbox Conversion Kit consists of the following:

SXE10 AE86 Adaptor (Aluminium 6082T6)
Sealant Plate (Aluminium 6082T6)
Pilot Bearing Extension (304 Stainless Steel)
Two Pilot Bearings
Clutch Disk (Standard or Paddle, 200mm or 212mm)

Price: €1291.36

Note: You will have to modify your own release bearing sleeve for the larger diameter input shaft of the IS200 gearbox or else buy the stainless steel replacement I manufacture. Once machined the wall thickness of the portion the release bearing slides on is reduced to 1.9mm. Because of the thin wall thickness I manufactured a stainless steel one; even with the thin 1.9mm wall it is still stronger than an original un-modified unit. Hence it will not fail in service.

LEEN Release Bearing Sleeve (304 Stainless Steel): €179.20 - HIGHLY recommended

Gear Lever Kit including modifing your gearbox to accept the parts: €248.00

Clutch Disk (Standard or Paddle, 200mm or 212mm): €156.80

Gearbox Bracket(transmission mount): €95.20

The speedometer unit is not available until I have it sorted. This company offers a solution: http://www.atrol.com/cablex.htm

I'm currently in talks with this company to supply their product, it's electronic based so it will suit any final drive ratio.

The plan is to adapt the kit to fit 6 speed gearboxes from the following:

Mazda Miata / MX-5

Mazda RX8

Nissan S15

So at present the IS200 is the only gearbox that definitely works with the adaptor. I will begin test fitting to the above gearboxes very soon.

The headache of VAT (Ireland's Value Added Tax) This may sound confusing ...

I had two options setting up the business, been VAT registered and not been VAT registered.

Basically if I am VAT registered the VAT I pay on the raw materials I can essentially claim back (making things cheaper for me to buy) but the TAX man must get his VAT somewhere so the customer is charged 21% VAT. That 21% VAT goes straight into the hand of the TAX man. This system involves making TAX returns every two months and associated accountant fees. So more operating costs and thus higher prices. If I was VAT registered people outside Europe would pay no VAT.

What I done is set up the business as a 'sole trader.' I'm not registered for VAT, and I can't claim back 21% of the value of the raw materials. I pay the full material price. So I pay the 21% VAT myself and this goes to the TAX man. Thus the price I charge is the price with the VAT allready paid by me, I can't take it off the price.

So the price is the same for anyone anywhere in the world. This is the simplist solution for me at present to manage this business.

Hope this explains things.

Thanks, Joe

LEEN Gearbox Conversions

http://www.gearboxconversion.com

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
09-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Looking good, a bit more expensive than I've hoped for... The whole kit adds up to shy over 2k€ plus the gearbox itself... oh well eventually I'll find the $$$$ for it Smile

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
You get what you pay for in this world.

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Well the difference to quaife box is not that big anymore. TRD gear set is about the same price but I have to admit I like the AZ6 gearnox idea very much.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-29-2011, 02:31 AM
I still don't see why you prefer this above a W58 or something, only because of the 6th gear?
09-29-2011, 02:43 AM
bozu Wrote:I still don't see why you prefer this above a W58 or something, only because of the 6th gear?

It all has to do with gear spacing..... Huh

For those that like to see charts :wink:

Using a 3.9 final drive

Using a 4.30 final drive

Bean Bandit Wrote:TRD gear set is about the same price but I have to admit I like the AZ6 gearnox idea very much.

but you are still left with a weaker gearbox... the TRD gears are a bit stronger, but the box is still the weak link. So for the same price, you get better gear spacing, a stronger gearbox, and better fuel economy

Dan -

09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Will be driving this setup hopefully next year.
Superb work there guys! And Joe from Gearboxconversion.com thanks for the updates everytime!

5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe
09-29-2011, 08:25 PM

This might be the most important chart.... for it shows a LOT of interesting info...

1) note that the gap in the T50 box between 2nd and 3rd... is now shortened... This alone will improve acceleration times.

1a) Another note they are all shortened a bit... actually the shift doesn't extend to the 4th/5th split, and so the gap in the 6 speed is actually a bit wider... since 4th to 5th in the T50 is not a huge gap

2) note 1st gear is nearly a perfect overlay of 1st in the T50. That means starts will be nearly identical if you run a 3.9 final instead of the 4.3

3) Why run a 3.9... note how much taller 6th gear is now... the rpm will drop significantly now... and if you do 70+ on the highway you will now be able to avoid being "in the TVIS" while on the highway... ++++ for MPG

4) Additionally, if you have the hp, and you want to go FAST... you know have the capability (gear to engine speed) of hitting 150mph Evil

Dan -

09-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Would be cool to see this graph too with a 4.1:1 ratio.

5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:
bozu Wrote:I still don't see why you prefer this above a W58 or something, only because of the 6th gear?

It all has to do with gear spacing..... Huh

Then I would like to see one of those graphs with a W58 in their as well cause I'm still not convinced.

Don't get me wrong by the way I'm not trying to talk your product down cause I respect the research and the end product looks really good.

Just trying to get a clear picture of why this would be a better choice over a W58 gearbox which is close ratio and capable of handling more then 300hp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed Industries: F20c conversion parts (mounts..) speed-inc 4 6,940 02-09-2012 11:11 PM
Last Post: roiz86
  Speed Industries: f20c conversion parts speed-inc 2 4,091 06-22-2009 02:35 PM
Last Post: benjy_b
  AZ6 Swap Available! oldeskewltoy 8 15,146 10-23-2007 06:57 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  "old school > everything else" sticker OSI 1 4,421 01-11-2006 08:31 AM
Last Post: OSI
  "I Love My POS" Stickers OSI 9 9,584 11-30-2005 08:27 PM
Last Post: OSI