Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
01-27-2022, 08:10 PM
Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
I know mine is modified by previous owner a bit, but still puzzle is not complete.

Gtsi-R

"Trust me, I was an engineer"
"straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"
Find all posts by this user
01-27-2022, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2022 10:23 PM by banpei.)
Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
The mystery is very intriguing!
I went through my Dutch magazine scans and found for both reviews of early types no brows:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Gtsi-R red'n black coupé]
Both reviews are from the first initial batch delivered to NL. I even think the blue one might even have been a press car.

But then I searched on Goo-net and the third zenki Levin I checked had the brows on the bonnet! Hurray!
And then I found another one:
Both cars are 1983 pre-August facelift (they have square door mirrors). And I also found them on lower grade JDM cars like the three door SR

However if you look better to the not-so-shabby first one, the brows aren't even noticable:
If you then take into account that these lights have a raised enclosure behind the glass part:
So I don't think these brows are for cosmetic purposes, but rather to close the gap between the headlights and the bonnet. I could be wrong here, but it could then direct the airflow towards the center (radiator) instead of going into the enginebay.

So my guess is all zenki AE86s have these brows on the bonnet, but this doesn't explain why they are missing on so many of them... Perhaps some countries were cheapskates?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-28-2022, 04:49 PM
Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
I think you hit the nail on the head there Art, you dont see these things from outside, they are very likely just there for aerodynamic purposes. Namely restricting high pressure air
from entering the engine bay through any way other than through the radiator. A rather important thing if you want to optimize cooling performance.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-02-2022, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 09:33 PM by Gtsi-R.)
Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
interesting outcome Smile

other question, what would be the best way to find a tank door opener and cable / release handle?
My tank door is gone on the hinge, and I've got a new one from FLO'S, but it is for a version without lock,
I don't want to use the lock anymore, and i dont need to have all new parts against crazy prices.. Huh

i recently read a post, that there is an mod with a pin from a different car, but can't find that post anymore Sad club4age or so )

some work done, on small parts, I am spraying the black stuff that needs to be resprayed, eyebrows brackets, window trim etc etc

even found my yellowtop battery laying in the boot, not used for 8 years:
still holding 11.46V Huh charged it, and lets see if it can still be used!

so also received a box full of goodies from FLOS:
new Clutch, tank door, filter, sidelights and some other small stuff..

but a bit annoying: did not looked closely enough before ordering;

I did not knew there were two versions Confused are those still to be found for LHD?

other question:

these taillights seem to be original Coupe lights but sprayed Red and with the use of double lights?
where can I even get me a decent set of tail lights?

and what boot spoiler is on the car?

Gtsi-R

02-02-2022, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 09:43 PM by Ivan141.)
Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
Have my doubts about the heater control sticker availability.
[edit]I see loads for sale on ebay.. they are just mirrored the other way round. Price is high though. The orange on your original is probably just faded white[/edit]

About the fuel door popper: Almost all toyota's of the same age that came with them have nearly identical parts.
That fuel door opener on the picture is exactly the same part, even on early 90's models.
For the levers you could try pillaging a Starlet EP72, those look very similar and are likely to fit (dont buy them new, I'm not 100% sure).
These are not the strongest parts though, so watch out for weakened metal. 3 of my friends that I share a garage with drive EP72's and I'm
told the levers break sometimes.

I myself have the complete assembly (levers + cable + popper) from a 90's Carina-E. The levers are plastic instead of metal
and look a bit out of place, but they will bolt in. Will require some creative work to make them seat against the chassis
more tightly since the shape of the hole is not the same and the lever therefore sits a bit loose. But in principle everything fits
and the cable looks long enough to make it to the boot lock as well (added bonus of this mod).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
Good to hear those parts are very identical for most of that age. A Carina-e is also hard to find these days Sad iGuess) but it means I need to go and search some car scrap yards. Smile

Gtsi-R

02-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
It's a Carina II to be correct, but I doubt there's much, if any at all difference between carina II and e assembly's as they are quite similar indeed. On the starlet its the cable that breaks on one end, mostly on the lever side,as the rear boot popper sometimes bexomes stiff and puts too much strain on the cable.

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
02-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Gtsi-R red'n black coupé
Thanks for the clarification Thomas! Remembered it wrong Smile

About the rear spoiler: looks like nobybooth or trd, not easy to find.

And with regards to the taillights: havent seen anyone selling new coupe taillights yet (so probably no replica's in production).
If you want double bulbs per side you would need to change the fitting to one identical to the regular tail/brake light and modify the wiring.
IIRC the middle one is only a fog light normally. if you change to a double filament bulb you could keep the foglight functionality and add a regular taillight.
I once modified these to work as a double brake light but this got me in trouble with my APK guy since taillights need to be one continuous surface
according to some law of ours.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corolla GT Coupe - Royalty Black pack 266 249,668 01-12-2024 12:07 PM
Last Post: pack
  Red over Black UK Ae86 RobH69 5 17,035 02-03-2011 02:01 PM
Last Post: Bean
  my 1984 red over black corolla gt davegtcoupe 3 10,072 10-12-2010 08:14 PM
Last Post: davegtcoupe
  RaceMinded satin black Toyota Corolla AE86 Levin Coupe RaceMinded 22 29,243 09-02-2010 07:25 PM
Last Post: Apolan
  Red panda coupe...rebuilded vladx_kc 98 85,356 07-24-2008 07:08 PM
Last Post: robokill