SR5 rebuild
11-08-2005, 01:52 AM
SR5 rebuild
So, my poor 86 is sitting in my garage right now, not running (a fuse is the only thing keeping it from running, I think). I'm hopefully going to be putting a 22r into it (side question: does anyone know if the 22r is able to fit in the 86's engine bay?). I'm currently in the process of stripping my 86 down to nothing (this car is just going to be for weekends and track events). It's a bit hard to strip a car down with 1 broken wrench, but it'll have to do, I've got the three sockets I need 10, 12, and 14mm :wink: . Anyways, I'll get some pictures up once I find my camera. There are a few of when I first got the car online, but they are very old and the car barely looks like that anymore. Should have updates with pictures in a few days. Maybe a few more plans too. Just started this project rolling.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2005, 02:46 AM
SR5 rebuild
hi there...

hmm, the 22R might be a tight fit, but if inline 6's fit, then a 22R will fit,
just depends oh how much modifications your prepared to carry out.

An engine like this will affect the nice AE86 handling...but if it's what you want, go for it.

Good luck.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - SR5 rebuild]
Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
11-08-2005, 03:46 AM
SR5 rebuild
In what way will it affect the handling, the reason for this build is just for fun and to use my 86, I don't want to convert it from carburated (although I might end up doing that). The 22r just seemed like a logical step for a carburated engine. It has a decent step-up in power from the 4ac which is what I have right now, and it has a lot of torque which is always helpful.
11-08-2005, 10:01 PM
SR5 rebuild
Well, the 22R may not be as powerful as a slightly modded 4A-G, but as Evil3lf mentioned, it might have more torque in the lower rpm range. I think it has a lower redline than te 4A-G, but who cares? Something different at least. One note on it tough - if I were you, I'd go EFI rather than carbs. From what I know, EFI is much more troublefree, especially when using the car in bad weather conditions like snow. Also, Toyota (and in general all Japanese) carbs are "quite" complicated units, and not many workshops can set them properly.

And btw: dunno why, but I can't put this "Stupid Rice" movie on my tiny server. I'll try once again Evil3lf...

EDIT: Does the 22R use an iron block? If it's much heavier than the 4A-G's, then in fact it may affect the handling. But hey, the 3S is only 20kgs heavier, it shouldn't be THAT bad...

Ahhh, VTEC. All the lag, none of the turbo. It's like waiting for bad sex.
11-08-2005, 10:23 PM
SR5 rebuild
I've done a bit of research and the 22r has a lot of cast iron in it, and the weight is somewhere between 315-350lbs.

As to the suggestion for the EFI model, the entire reason that I chose the 22r is that it's carburated, and that I don't want to have anything electronic on the car.

Also, for the concerns about weather. Like I said previously, this will be a track/weekend car only. Other then that this car will be sitting in my garage. So I won't even be driving it in the rain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scottish Trueno rebuild - Nürburgring with pics! kazi 77 165,926 11-25-2018 11:42 PM
Last Post: kazi
  Patrick's rebuild topic PatrickAE86 13 18,260 11-22-2017 05:49 PM
Last Post: The Doctor
  DidiDex 1984 Levin coupe rebuild DidiDex 1 4,961 08-13-2015 03:22 PM
Last Post: DidiDex
  Ae86 from Poland. Complete body rebuild Doktor 9 13,270 09-07-2013 11:07 PM
Last Post: Doktor
  my slowly 1983 AE86 drift rebuild/ 1979 KE35 recovery fax0815 68 103,870 11-12-2012 12:02 AM
Last Post: fax0815