Fuel problem diagnosis
09-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Fuel problem diagnosis
I have two ae86 gt-s with the stock 16v in them that will start with starter fluid right into the intake manifold but won't draw fuel from the tank. I purchased a fuel pump from a salvage yard (supposedly running when pulled) and installed that into one of them with no change. I can unplug the fuel line that goes to the firewall side of the fuel rail and with enough suction get fuel from the tank. I'm just curious how one goes about troubleshooting the fuel system. I didn't find anything about the fuel system in the manual online. I imagine there's a set of relays that I would need to check along with power to the fuel pump. I've searched on this an a few other forums and couldn't quite find my problem or a conclusive way to check for problems.

Is this a typical problem? Also, where would I find the relays?

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
09-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Fuel problem diagnosis
smells like circuit opening relay... it's in one of the footwells on the side.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Fuel problem diagnosis
I have a collection of three circuit opening relays...tried all three. I'm seriously doubting I have a collection of three bad ones. I found the '4age manual' and will be going through it and testing things. Any other helpful hints? I'd really like a dumbed down walk through of how this system works. Also, do you have a part number for it? I also have a 4th cor that has the last two numbers different.
09-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Fuel problem diagnosis
fuel problems have been discussed many times before, so please do a search.

Quickest way of finding out if you are getting fuel is to disconnect the cold start injector line, pull the efi fuse, and give the starter a little blip. It should spray fuel (I know...not the safest method, but time honored method). If it does get fuel, look to your injector power supply.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4agZe problem solved - 99% IC problem Okami 41 33,247 07-12-2012 04:49 PM
Last Post: Okami
  4age idle/fuel problem Alex 7 9,162 06-24-2011 09:07 PM
Last Post: Alex
  Fuel problem ? einneb 12 9,714 09-13-2010 12:57 PM
Last Post: einneb
  AC problem? Idle problem? KD2229 3 4,407 08-19-2009 02:08 AM
Last Post: KD2229
  Factory Electrical wiring diagrams & engine diagnosis ma parrot 34 68,832 05-03-2008 06:40 PM
Last Post: banpei