Cant argue that Smile

1x AE86 84` Zenki Coupè Levin 4A-GE 20v
1x AE86 83' Zenki Coupe Levin 4A-GE 16v
1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
1x TA40 78` MK1 Zenk/Pre-Facelift Wagon 4A-GE 16v
Find all posts by this user
12-01-2014, 07:23 AM
DIY: Hopeless project.
I got the wagon up and running not long after my previous update, been doing some improvements since then and just mainly driving it.

Somehow I managed to get well below 7L>100KM fuel consumption doing a mountain pass run (with pretty steep inclines), with 4 wheels in the back+lots of tools and ae86 suspension parts laying around in the car, and I wasnt even going for economy..

Recently I added some T3 AE86 steering arms and cut off the lock stoppers which, surprisingly, gave me A LOT more lock than I expected:

Since the new steering arms are pretty thick all over, whereas OEM arms are very slim, I`m starting to think that maybe shortened OEM arms could give a lot more lock than this, but until I can be assed with that+welding in new lock stoppers, I`m happy with this, its loads more than I could hope for, and winter is coming soon..

I also have some goodies on the way for replacing the old struts, but more on that once I have the goodies.

Also steadily fixing the AE86 front suspension.
I got some Bilstein 300/70 shocks, new top hats, replaced LCA`s with new units from Rockauto, and replaced all bushings etc.

So now all I need is shaft/gland nuts for top mounts, new top mount spherical bearings, and some top hat washers.

Then I can drive it back into the "workshop" until I can afford new brake discs, shine it up a little on my spare time and gun for a new attempt of a day of test driving, followed by inspection+license plates.

1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
06-23-2015, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 06:23 AM by Rascal21.)
Recently got the car down on it`s wheels after getting the last batch of parts this winter, noticed less camber and messed up toe settings.
I cant have that, even if it meant shoddy-looking solution I cut open the boxed LCA`s and knocked the crappy ball joints out.
Then I welded where the angle grinder did the most damage, put the new ball joints in, repainted the arms and put them back in:

Then I took her for a test drive around the farm, and noticed crappy braking.
Took the front calipers off and found out why:

Had to use grinder pad to even get down to metal, but no surprise there, whoever owned this car between the last serious owner and me probably knew nothing.
Also found the bleeding nipples needs to be changed, theyve gone soft, broke one of them (drill and slam a torx in will probs solve the problem).

Uzelac sorted me out with the column hi-beam/dimmer switch I need so will get that in a couple of weeks, change rotors, bleed brakes and have the car inspected so I can get license plates.

Tomorrow evening or the day after I will get some AE82 struts, and modify strut brackets to suit my unidentifiable spindles (Which are 64x64`s but bigger inner wheel bearing inner diameter size so I donno) then take the parts off some Revolver SPL coilovers I got for 200E and add them to the AE82 struts that I get for free, which is probably what I should have done in the first place, but at least I will have gravel coilovers on the side if I need them.

1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
06-24-2015, 08:32 PM
But you need greasy brakes to have softer pedal, right? Big Grin

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - DIY: Hopeless project.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Bwaha, reminds me of the guy who uploaded a pic of his car wrapped around a tree, saying "Thx to the guys who recommended I grease my brakes!" Tongue

New bleedscrews ordered for all clappers (better safe than sorry).

Also been fruitlessly looking for 2 piece 4x114,3 wheel PCD to 6x139,7 disc PCD bells suitable to wrap around the Zenki rear axle hub to replace the shenanigan custom stuff currently in place.
Alas no valid references to a reasonable Zenki rear axle bell kit to be found.
All I can find is those front end kits vendored by cbradleymotorsport and grp4 so no separate bells available, and theres no guarantee these front bells will work on the zenki rear axle hubs, has anyone tried this?

1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
07-09-2015, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 10:30 AM by Rascal21.)
Picked up some parts yesterday.

The width might be an issue, but was going to put flares on anyway Tongue

The leaf spring spacing is around 1000mm, and the lower link spacing on the axle is also around 1000mm, so can use the leaf spring brackets up front for bottom link mounts.

But first need to get the car running (4age 16v) so I can have it inspected, been battling an issue with it for months on end, whenever I can get her started she wont stay running for more than a minute.

I checked TPS, MAP, changed a bunch load of parts etc, can only get her running for a minute max, in that time she`ll rev perfect (no misfire) then after 50 secs it will bog down to 500 rpm then back up, another 10 secs will pass then she flat out stalls.

With fuel pump on, no fuel returning, not even from the rail.
Changed igniter, coil, rotor, dizzy cap, spark plug leads, spark plugs, made sure dizzy is in correctly, timing is correct, switched between 2 other cold start injectors etc..
She`ll reek of fuel, ALL plugs and pistons and chambers all black and wet (too wet for the thing to fire if you ask me)

The people over at the ae86dc Australian forums are all scratching their heads over this Cool

I`m suspecting injectors stuck open considering no fuel returning.
But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them out since its all so tight down in there...

Any suggestions? Smile

1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
07-10-2015, 12:26 AM
If injectors are always open your engine would got hydroshocked after few seconds.
Not sure where all the fuel goes, if not returning, but it is easy to check fuel lines.
Check at FPR, remove it if needed and see if fuel flows through rail.
07-10-2015, 10:34 AM
(07-10-2015 12:26 AM)Uzelac Wrote:  If injectors are always open your engine would got hydroshocked after few seconds.
Not sure where all the fuel goes, if not returning, but it is easy to check fuel lines.
Check at FPR, remove it if needed and see if fuel flows through rail.

Thanks for the chime-in! Forgot to say I got the column switch and it works perfect!
Will remove the FPR today and see what happens Smile

1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
07-11-2015, 02:03 AM
Thumbs up!
07-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Removed FPR and turned ignition on (fuel pump goes on then, I use 12v relay for that instead of COR)
And fuel just calmly ran down the fuel rail and onto the intake manifold, it did not spray like a 6-7 bar pump is supposed to do.
So problem would be the pressure pump or fuel filter/lines?

1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V