Cp joels old school drifter (56k warning)
09-16-2005, 11:42 PM
cp joel

I have been watching your renovation coming along and its looking great.

If I can give you some advice though (hope you wont be offended) I notice you are using galvanised sheet for the repairs. Although this would seem to most people as the best thing to use its probably the worst.

have you noticed that when you are welding you are getting a lot of splatter and white powder from the welds and its very difficult to weld

The reason for this is the galvanised metal is not meant to be welded, the zinc in the galvanised coating on the steel does not like to be heated to the temperatures required when welding.

Other reasons for not using galvanised steel

1. Welding galv gives off highly toxic gasses ( be very careful not to breath any of this in)

2. The welds may look good but they are very weak as the white powder mixes in the "weld pool" as you are welding and causes failure in the future when stressed

3. The welder finds it difficult producing good penetration and finish quality

If you change to normal mild steel sheet coated with weldable primer coating on it you will get strong welds, easier and looking like a pro did it.

Have a look at the drift skool project and you will see the steel we use and the standard of weld

Like I say I dont want to annoy you in any way but I thought you would like a tip as we do this sort of thing every day in our workshop and you could get the same results simply by changing the steel you are using

Respect to you Respect!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Cp joels old school drifter (56k warning)]
Find all posts by this user
09-17-2005, 06:11 AM
richieu Wrote:cp joel

I have been watching your renovation coming along and its looking great.

If I can give you some advice though (hope you wont be offended) I notice you are using galvanised sheet for the repairs. Although this would seem to most people as the best thing to use its probably the worst.

have you noticed that when you are welding you are getting a lot of splatter and white powder from the welds and its very difficult to weld

The reason for this is the galvanised metal is not meant to be welded, the zinc in the galvanised coating on the steel does not like to be heated to the temperatures required when welding.

Other reasons for not using galvanised steel

1. Welding galv gives off highly toxic gasses ( be very careful not to breath any of this in)

2. The welds may look good but they are very weak as the white powder mixes in the "weld pool" as you are welding and causes failure in the future when stressed

3. The welder finds it difficult producing good penetration and finish quality

If you change to normal mild steel sheet coated with weldable primer coating on it you will get strong welds, easier and looking like a pro did it.

Have a look at the drift skool project and you will see the steel we use and the standard of weld

Like I say I dont want to annoy you in any way but I thought you would like a tip as we do this sort of thing every day in our workshop and you could get the same results simply by changing the steel you are using

Respect to you Respect!

Awesome tip!!! Great of us people that are going to be restoring our panel work.

Maybe you, richieu could start a "tips" post. Informing use on what are the best ways to repair rust or panel work, dents etc etc. Engine work and stuff like that.....I think it would help many of us.

Any way cpjoel great work mate...I have so much respect for you!!!

I once read that you shouldnt believe everything you read.
09-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Richieu, can't you clean the bits where you need to weld it? Like sand the galvanised coating off where the weld needs to be?

I'm a total blank when it comes to these things but I could imagine that having galvanised steal will help against the risk of rusting from the inside since the inside surface will be hard to reach..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
09-17-2005, 09:39 AM
I agree with richieu, the welding with that metal is of poor quality (sorry, but better be safe than sorry). It seems like alot of heat has been used to try get penetration, and i can see quite a few holes blown through, also there are no consistent seams.
09-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Guys

I'd be happy to advise on repairs just ask

Mux
No, Even if you grind off the galv where you are going to weld there is still deposits in the steel as when the mild steel sheet is galvanised it is dipped into a tank full of molten zinc, this alters the chemical composition of the steel.

Steel is galvanised to produce a sacrificial coating that will corrode before the steel itself thats all. If you use mild steel sheet coated with a weldable primer coating and get a tin of primer to go over the weld as soon as you have finished the weld no rust will appear. You then can cover the floor underneath with a stone chip coating (not bitumen) and paint over that with a colour to match the car id need be.

If yo do this no rust will appear for many years providinf yo touch up any stone chips every couple of months.

If you have any questions just ask, I will help in any way I can Thumbs up!

09-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi Guys! Well kris more pics of the car is use less, i haven't got any thing done. if you mean on the orderd stuff, just let me know and i will take some more pics.

About the welding, of course i'm not offended! i like your concern! what can i say, welding is not my thing...but lets learn, great tips! give me more.

Mvh *Daniel
09-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Rather than Hi jack your very interesting restoration project I will start a new thread in Projects so if you have any technical questions just ask there Thumbs up!

Richieu

09-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Awesome richieu Smile you da man!!

I once read that you shouldnt believe everything you read.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  @dodo@ Levin Coupe, renovation and tuning (56k think twice) @dodo@ 165 148,654 03-28-2018 12:35 PM
Last Post: ZaX
  Lycan-Strife's Daily/Drifter 4agZe AE86 Levin Coupe Okami 21 24,560 01-23-2012 09:46 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Ive been busy.. F20C AE86 (56k badness!) PazzaAE86 46 86,641 06-25-2011 04:49 PM
Last Post: kennedy8383
  Old Fashioned Apolan 233 177,588 11-02-2010 07:02 PM
Last Post: nmwisima
  Project: My new trackday toy (56k beware!) Morten 88 75,568 02-25-2010 01:44 PM
Last Post: Morten