Car export from Finland
04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Car export from Finland
A question for the finnish guys amongst you.

I found a job in Helsinki and will move there in a couple of months. I don't think my E8 corolla (1.3 FWD) is worth the costs of importing it to Finland, let alone buy new winter tires and add an engine heating installation (necessary?).

What I do need to do is take some other stuff with me from the Netherlands, not really much since I'll be selling all my furniture here. I'm going to have a look at the price of having it shipped in half a container.

However, there could be another option. If I sell my car here 99% sure it will be shipped to Africa. What I could do if it's cheaper then shipping is drive to Finland by car, take my stuff along and sell the car in Finland.

If I would sell my car to a Finnish car export agency (which ships to Russia?) it would not be a problem that my car is on dutch plates since they'll have as little value to them as Finnish plates...

So the question is: Is there a lively trade in exporting old cars in Finland as well or is there a good chance I'll be stuck with the car there ?
Find all posts by this user
04-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Car export from Finland
Welcome to Finland! Wave

There aren't that many companies doing car exports because the state does not refund the tax from old cars and therefore it isn't really profitable to buy old cars in Finland and ship them over to, for example, Africa. Of course, in your case this wouldn't be a problem as you haven't paid the finnish car tax but finding a company to export the car may be difficult. If you can get a good price for the car in Netherlands, I'd suggest selling it there. Selling the car to some hobbyist for spare parts would probably work best here - I posted your question to the international area of Toyota Club of Finland's forum, maybe someone there would be interested in your car;

http://www.fintoys.net/forum/?board=Inte...1177498991
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Car export from Finland
Thanks!
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finland trollis 153 148,454 08-18-2014 07:47 AM
Last Post: Komba
  People of Finland Eircamae86 4 7,331 03-15-2008 03:48 AM
Last Post: Eircamae86