Anyone got Max Orido's Magical Fuse?
10-27-2023, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2023 10:07 AM by banpei.)
I recently came across a blog post where someone bought a box of Max Orido's magical fuses. These fuses cost about 120 euros and I was like why would you buy extremely expensive fuses? So I started to search for this product to find out why.

So I came across a couple of posts on an 86 forum and Reddit that all spoke positively about this. And then I found this video with Keiichi Tsuchiya and Max Orido:

It claims DK's car got an increase of 7hp by replacing the fuses with these "magical" ones and an additional 1hp by replacing the battery.

The "inventor" of the Magical Fuse claims it will remove any electrical resistance (because of old fuses) and electrical interference. By removing that, the ECU will perform better and you will have more spark. Now I'm not an electrical engineer, but I seriously wonder if there is much truth in this. From what I understand is that you use capacitors to remove electrical interference, which I don't see in these fuses.

I'm very sceptical about this product. What I miss in this video is why they didn't replace the fuses with an ordinary set of new fuses to make a proper comparison. Maybe DK's fuses were old and worn down, but replacing them with an ordinary set of fuses (cost 5 euros) would already bumped the engine output with 6hp. So what's the real gain then?

This product sounds very fishy and is probably just snake oil. I mean, Orido is a businessman and this is an excellent way to sell. So I was wondering does anybody have experience with these fuses? Should we buy such a box and conduct a proper comparison?

In case you are wondering, you can buy them here: https://130ryokohama.shop-pro.jp/?pid=160925380
RHDJapan sells them for the 86, but not the AE86. But we could probably ask them nicely to ship a box of them. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Anyone got Max Orido's Magical Fuse?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-27-2023, 11:17 AM
This is snake oil, they're really just regular fuses. The only things you could do is gold-plate the contacts to ensure they don't oxidize, but that's about it.

A melting fuse like they're used in cars by definition has a defined resistance, which is designed to be exactly the resistance needed to melt it when the current goes above the rated current of the fuse. That means the "no resistance" claim is pure BS.
Melting fuses are by definition a wire in an enclosure, automotive ones in a basic plastic enclosure that's color-coded for convenience.

Interference can be countered by using any combination of shielded wires, capacitors (stabilizing voltage) or inductors (filtering high frequency noise), wherever applicable and needed.

I highly doubt you'll lose 7hp because of old fuses (i.e. having oxidized contacts). There's no fuses between sensors and ECU, so measurement values should never be wrong because of fuses, meaning the ECU isn't affected. And if it was 7hp lost from worse charging of the battery (i.e. higher draw on the alternator), that would be >5kW of loss somewhere, which would have been melting not only a fuse but would be a serious fire hazard.
Find all posts by this user
10-27-2023, 01:31 PM
Thank you for those additional insights! Thumbs up!
It's appalling to read/watch so many "positive" reviews of this product. I'm seriously thinking about having one of these magical fuse boxes shipped to garage4age. Big Grin

10-27-2023, 02:22 PM
It's hard enough to gain 7HP through tuning a naturally aspirated engine, I don't see how changing fuses will make a big difference.
The whole thing reminds me of a guy on Club4AG who claimed he'd gained an additional 5MPH top speed by installing a strut brace.
10-30-2023, 01:18 PM
(10-27-2023 02:22 PM)Power_uP Wrote:  It's hard enough to gain 7HP through tuning a naturally aspirated engine, I don't see how changing fuses will make a big difference.
The whole thing reminds me of a guy on Club4AG who claimed he'd gained an additional 5MPH top speed by installing a strut brace.

Hahaha I loved that one back in the days!

But yeah, i feel like this is just snake oil... A good set of new fuses will ensure the car is running with 0 issues.

For me it's a no go, specially because of their price... Smile
10-30-2023, 10:37 PM
I wrote a lengthy blog post dissecting every aspect of this video and it will be up in a few days. Wink

02-07-2024, 10:50 PM
(10-30-2023 10:37 PM)banpei Wrote:  I wrote a lengthy blog post dissecting every aspect of this video and it will be up in a few days. Wink

hi mate! did you post it?
02-08-2024, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2024 11:09 AM by banpei.)
Yes, I did:
https://www.banpei.net/2023/11/04/max-or...roduct-wtf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  got seat belts. but they rolled up MC_JP 8 9,221 05-06-2014 04:04 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Max lift on Vitz valve lifters harkes 9 10,182 01-02-2014 10:27 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Footwell fuse box...anyone have the layout of the fuses ? Ian.G 6 12,379 01-17-2013 09:47 PM
Last Post: So7urno
  max brake disc thickness ae86 caliper+heel and toe question ditn 26 24,590 10-02-2012 05:00 PM
Last Post: ditn
  track questions:max oil/water temp,egt and other ditn 7 7,428 07-06-2012 12:40 PM
Last Post: ditn