I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant
01-02-2020, 02:32 AM
RE: I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant
(01-01-2020 01:10 AM)Project D Wrote:  
(12-31-2019 06:57 PM)oldeskewltoy Wrote:  The vice is only holding the lifter bore housing so we could insert the bar stock into the lifter bores so we could measure "lifter bank angle".

You mean lobe separation, right ?
Centerlines can be measured without knowing the lobe separation (a dial indicator on the lifter and a degree wheel, like any other engine really), however lobe separation is critical to design a proper camshaft for the engine.

The engine is no longer assembled - there is no way of doing it that way without re-assembly

So we need to know the lifter bank angle so we know where the cam maker placed the lobe centers - in relation to where the lifters are placed.

Let me try to explain it another way.... The 5V-EU was their limo engine. It's peak power was @ 4400 rpm(via reported specifications), additionally it is fair to assume... that the engine was designed for a very smooth idle. To achieve this it is likely that Toyota built the 5V-EU cam to have their centerlines rather high to favor smooth idle and low rpm peak power. We believe as high as 116, or 118, possibly even higher. If I want to build an engine that makes its peak power another 1200-1500 rpm later in the powerband, and introduce a bit of lope, I would change cam timing and move it lower, to about 108, maybe 110 for lobe centers. Until we know where in relation to TDC the cam goes through its motion we can't hope to change the powerband.

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant - oldeskewltoy - 01-02-2020 02:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bought a Ae86 and super scared cause of rust can any one hel adamsaiyad 19 19,568 12-02-2009 02:29 AM
Last Post: [Walaki]D`Lair
  Bought a Hachi today XLarge 27 31,328 09-08-2005 10:06 AM
Last Post: PetzK