Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe
10-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Be sure to get the airbox, it has a valve you need, unless your going for a sports filter.
In that case I would like to have that valve. Tongue

Are you going to use the loom in the car to?
Find all posts by this user
10-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Aram Wrote:Be sure to get the airbox, it has a valve you need, unless your going for a sports filter.
In that case I would like to have that valve. Tongue

Are you going to use the loom in the car to?

As far as I know he used the A'PEXi induction kit - can you give a little bit more insight on that valve? So I can ask him (he might have a spare one or two).
Regarding the loom, he lightened the loom of all unnecessary stuff and labels it for me. I will see how much of it I'm going to use once I have it. I'll obviously going to use the engine loom and what ever else is needed to run the Altezza cluster. I'll also be getting the fuel sender to make full use of the cluster.

PS: you might want to reply in my thread over here to minimize the offtopic in your build Wink

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2011, 11:40 PM
There is one guy who has the first ae86 with beams in Holland, and I noticed when he started the engine it shook pretty violently.
Not sure why that is but he has an open air filter, my guess is that valve has something to do with it.
The loom has a connector for it also.

So I'm not taking any chance, I'm not going for an open air filter but I'll make an airbox with panel filter and that valve. Smile

I don't mind off topic, I'm used to it. Wink
10-17-2011, 11:51 PM
is it this one 22204? if yes I think this is the AFM sensor and they are a bit picky about the airstream going through it, read here (scroll all the way down)
http://tinyurl.com/68djyr5

also here's a picture of it mounted to the A'PEXi induction kit
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe]

MULTIEDIT:
think I just found what you are on about - if it is this then we are still at a 50/50 if it's helpful or not.
Your friend probably had the same issue as Bill...(read above)
http://s4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzac...t11958.htm
and here the link to the EPC if I'm right: http://tinyurl.com/43ds6qv

I have to find a proper picture/diagram of what's involved in the stock airbox as it's hard to tell from what I know so far what this valve/actuator combo really do.

AE86 ex-daily
10-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the link, I'll look into it. Smile
10-18-2011, 12:41 AM
here are some better pics of the actual Airbox
http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzac...t10031.htm
unfortunately the part where that actuator would be changing what ever is not visible either Sad
but the two different intakes can be seen, one drawing air in from the wheel arch side (longish pipe with resonator box) and the other being the flat ram tube thing channeling air over the top of the box and through the filter...

EDIT: had a better look and it could indeed be an actuator to stop air coming throu the flat ram tube shaped thing, as if I see it right the air of that tube passes underneath that actuator (over the visible metal plate) - though I doubt this would change any behavior of how the engine runs, considering the other intake is still there and open.

EDIT: tons of more material to read about pod filters here
http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzac...topic=4874
haven't come to a conclusion on that site despite mocking up something yourself similar to the kit you want to buy to see if it works (if I mock it up and it works I'll have no need to buy anything but meh... there logic is not straight forward all the time)

AE86 ex-daily
10-18-2011, 12:07 PM
hope the above info helps - as it seems now I'm back to 4AGE due to misunderstanding/bad add phrasing Crying

AE86 ex-daily
10-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the links!
I will read intro them asap. :-)

But what do you mean, you are not getting a Beams now?????
10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Aram Wrote:Thanks for the links!
I will read intro them asap. :-)

But what do you mean, you are not getting a Beams now?????

After sorting everything out with finding buyers for my built 4A-GE heads all over the world and arranging transportation etc... I ask for the final price for the swap as I wanted the fuels sensor and cluster etc too. And only then we figured out we were talking too very different prices. The phrasing of the add was very unlucky picked to say the least. He wanted almost twice the price I expected which turned a good deal into a less than average deal. I'm sure the quality and condition of his swap is spot on which isn't the case on loads of other sites so this would have been a positive thing - but when I can come up, within a minute of googling, with halfcuts incl. the hole rear end (diff, axle, etc) shipped to my door for less than he asked for parts alone I had to drop out.
Don't get me wrong I'm still interested in doing these swap but I've spend a lot of research into building a nice 4A-GE 16V which will put out anywhere between 160-200hp once I'm done. This is by no means cheap and will actually cost me more once finished than the Beams swap - but I refuse to pay more than necessary and the cost for the 4A-GE build are expensive but fair/justified. The only reason I considered this particular offer half way through my 4A-GE build was because it seemed a bargain, which it wasn't. I'm repeating myself now already.
To cut it short now the deal fell through and I will revise my original 4A-GE plan a bit (will drop the all out hardcore build and use what I have already) and will go from there. Mind you in a bit more than a year I will be living in another country again, where I'm not sure if the AE86 will be legal in the first place. So I have to consider this as well.
It simply was a deal to good to be true, especially considering my bad luck I usually have when it comes down pursuing my tuning plans - some deals/parts always fall short off my expectations and as it turns out this was no exception. Hopefully I will end up in a country once where I can go and buy my stuff face to face and don't have to go through the headache of around the world shipping/quality control.
If I wouldn't enjoy the engineering side of cars so much I'd simply buy myself an M3 and be done with it but character refuses to do so. Bring on the next challenge - I'm sure it's going to be hell and more ups and downs as the Swiss alps Smile

Alright, rant over for now... hope you're luckier than me and don't run into too much trouble with your swap.

AE86 ex-daily
10-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Bandit, sad to hear that you are withdrawing from this swap.

I am doing the Beams swap in half way. A sort of one man team makes the progress very slow.
Over a thoudsand time I had think of get rid of my 86. But end up spending uncountertable $ in it.

By reading Aram's thread always encourage myself to move on. Although I swear that I would not do this swap again.

Fortunately, looking for parts in HK are not that difficult, hope you enjoy your tune and good luck for your 4A tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 148 153,998 04-23-2024 10:06 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  Krullibulls Ae86 BEAMS is the only way krullibull 86 82,670 05-07-2019 09:35 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Trueno Hatch and Levin Coupe - Repair, replace, pray xD TomRich 13 13,347 10-07-2018 09:45 PM
Last Post: banpei
  @dodo@ Levin Coupe, renovation and tuning (56k think twice) @dodo@ 165 150,463 03-28-2018 12:35 PM
Last Post: ZaX
  AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, Beams, AP Brakes & Brides Conrad 462 580,330 06-27-2017 12:21 PM
Last Post: DJexor