Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
09-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Total bullsit that the car is to far gone to be saved..
Stabiliser? Just remove it al together for the MOT, then start thinking about drilling etc later.
Exhaust: well you saw that one coming for about two years now..they only last a decade or so.
Brakes: throw in the new booster. Should be about an afternoons worth of work, you know I'll help where needed.
Parking brakes: adjust or replace..cant be to hard.
Tires: take your pick..

All in al I see an afternoons worth of work and nothing new..cheer up!

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
09-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Nohachi,

haha, indeedSmile

Ivan, Hachi is totally right, dont get all down and out because the APK guy was an asshole. People that dont know this car and its history just see it as a 20 year old booring Toyota worth 100 euro or less. Such a person knows damn well replacing the exhaust will cost way more then that, so he thinks its not worth his time. If he would realize what the car is worth emotionally to you he would have talked very differently about it. He was just being a prick.

So fix her up, I really don't think its such a big thing. Only the exhaust is tricky, time for that janspeed exhaustSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
09-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, I think I can get the problems sorted out too...but just look at the prices:

Exhaust: 600 for shitty replica, more for a stainless system.
Or I need to find someone capable of welding something together with the
pipes I bought last year.

Parking brake cables: over 100 euro's for new ones..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2005, 03:30 PM
BTW mux, the guy knew damn well how I feel about the car. But still he didnt think of an ae86 as anything special enough to put that much effort in. That's what makes it worse than usual..he want even an asshole or anything...quite friendly..just very demotivating. I guess I should be glad that I didnt have to pay them to discourage me.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Ivan,
just buy cheap stainless muffler (45EU here, $30 at Ebay.com) and use steel (non-stainless) exhaust tubing.
The master brake cylinder rebuild kit is ~25EU new at Toyota dealer (~7.5EU non-original), you will need also brake fluid to flush the system.
About parking brake cables - the price here is similar (only original ones are available). If this is your last problem - I have used parking brake cables - one set (must check condition). I don't plan to use them due to brakes change (and hydraulic e-brake).
09-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions jamie,

I already have a stainless muffler and some pipes (2 meters and 2 bends)
but I cant weld, and dont know anyone who could do such work for me.

I already rebuilt the brake master cilinder once,...it was leaking back then (bubbles in the reservoir). Nowadays I dont see any bubbles coming up so I'm puzzled...I just cant get a good feeling from the brake pedal. Luckily I have 2 profesionally rebuilt brake masters as spares, so I'll try to swap one in. BTW...rebuild kit cost me 109 euro's at the local toyota dealer 2 years ago...what a ripoff..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Damn, thats quit tough. I think they probably did the same as my "friendly" neighbours. Just walk around the car and see what's wrong. If they find more than two or three points they stop and charge you the costs without suspending the previous MOT.

It's a bit hard hearing the car isn't worth it: I had the same situation last year with the mitsu, I had to replace 2/3rd of the exhaust and the people said it wasn't worth it.

My Mitsu failed on one major point: CO value was too high and the other points (e.g. brakepads not going too smooth, windshield wipers too old, citylights lightbulb not burning strong etc.) were simply pure bullshitting. I still have to start working on the brakes and make sure it will pass next time. I probably have to change the oil and oilfilter for the CO and thats it, I hope. Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]
09-15-2005, 03:59 PM
can't gun-gum get your exhaust through APK? Tongue
It lasts only 2 weeks orso, but APK is only 1 hour, and it's not leaking at that moment Wink

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
09-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Don't believe that the guy had even the faintest idea of the cars worth. Else it would be the same for all cars older then 10 years: exhaust gone (after 12 years) bye bye car...bullshit.

You knew you needed a new exhaust ages ago..where did it leak? If its between the exhaust and header then its just a matter of making new gaskets and bringing the right tools to get @ them bolts..If I remember correctly the piping didn't really have large rustholes etc.

You could always drive to some low-wages country and have them make you an exhaust...You would have at least one fuel paying passenger ;-) Just have to make some extra stops on the way.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Well I'm starting to regain my composure a bit again thanks to you guys..
Getting ready to throw bucketloads of money and work into my car and like it again. A man's gotta have his hobbies.

Anyone up for a weekend of tinkering (Mux/Robo)?
If I can get it up on a bridge I think it might be an idea to take off the entire exhaust and start filling them holes with gungum/welds and replace some bolts and gaskets. Also replace the brake master cilinder for a new one and install the new brakediscs/pads.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 12,091 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815