steering wheel/boss/quick release questions
08-03-2008, 09:39 AM
So i like to get me a new steering wheel for the Corolla.
I like the OMP velocita, but if i want to fit that i need a steering wheel boss.

I also like to have a quick release thingy.
If i put the two of them together the steering wheel will get like 12cm or more closer to me, are the steering wheel bosses available in different heights?
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2008, 10:50 AM
usually you only have regular and extra long steering bosses. If you dont get a deep dish steering wheel then a long boss is pretty much necessary (unless you have really long arms).

You could look around for a shorter type of quick-release hub. The ball bearing type ones are always very big, but there are other types of mechanisms. I believe the doctor has a nice example in his ke20.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2008, 11:27 AM
i had a quick release mechanism in my car which was only 2cm thick.

it worked like a kind of bajonet (??sp??) type thingie.
But after 3 years it broke, so now i have a normal type of quick release hub and i like the steeringwheel position better.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - steering wheel/boss/quick r... questions]

on this pic you see my old one. You placed the steering wheel in the hub and then turn the outer ring to lock the wheel Smile

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
08-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I know NRG has some low-profile steering hubs/quickrelease stuff http://www.getnrg.com

SYM from passracing sells them too (but I haven't heard anything from him through PM, and his mailbox seemed to be full (got a bounced mail the other week)).

Hybrid007 has a quickrelease from driftworks, pm'd him about it last week.

To wrap this up: I want to get myself a quick release kit as well, but I have no idea about the steeringwheel position and all the other stuff.

(zelfde schuitje?)
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I got a Works Bell quick release, a short boss and a deep dish Momo.
Works great.

Only minus is that I have to reach out a little to put the indicator on. But for driving it is much better.
Thumbs up!

Please guys look for quality stuff when it comes to the quick release hubs. You do not want to go straight with full lock on the steering. Blush

Speed Industries
Hurdnerwaeldlistr. 73
8808 Pfaeffikon
Switzerland
e-mail: [email protected]
phone: +4155 420 15 69
page: http://www.speed-industries.ch
MSN: [email protected]

We have all the parts your Hachi needs
08-04-2008, 04:38 PM
How is quality stuff distinguishable? (Besides the obvious 10 USD knock-offs on ebay Tongue)

I myself am not too versed in what stuff is good and what stuff is bad. So far I've read some cautious reports about NRG stuff, whilst other reports are just raving about NRG.

And going straight whilst having full lock doesn't sound like a good thing ™ indeed Big Grin
08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
if you have a normal type of QR (with the ring you pull to release the wheel): the more balls there are: the better they are

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
08-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Yeah many people use cheap units, I would spend the extra money and be safe and make sure my steering wheel doesn't come off.

Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car
1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

http://www.TheTunerSource.com
08-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Mr. Speed inc. : Do you sell the short bosses or you just happen to have one on your car?
08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
http://www.worksbell.co.jp/en/products/rapfix/index.htm

Recently I came across QSP racewear. They sell hubs, quick releases and steeringwheels for quite affordable prices.

http://www.qspracewear.com/

Anyone familiar with their hubs and quick releases?

on a side note: The design of their quick release looks alot like all the other stuff you can find in the 100 euro range on the internet. I'm starting to think "NRG" and "QSP" just uses some standard design like all the other brands in the same range and just rebrand the design.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v Silvertop - New Haltech ECU & Couple of questions 20valver 8 299 04-25-2024 12:39 PM
Last Post: 20valver
  steering wheel - leather painting kit Gtsi-R 4 1,648 02-14-2022 03:00 PM
Last Post: decryphe
  Brake Bias Questions mad.matt 10 9,791 01-03-2019 04:54 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  4age hitting gas too quick means engine stalls - what is the issue? Ryo 20 25,974 06-27-2018 11:15 PM
Last Post: Ryo
  Quaife quick rack totta Crolla 19 19,200 03-03-2018 03:32 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam