ring&pinion set info
10-15-2008, 01:40 AM
ring&pinion set info
bought a ring&pinion set (4,7:1) from Spence Weir , but I d'like to get infos .
the pinion gear is marked on side with : 176=0 . I guess it's about pinion
depth , but I don't know the unit or value?
And I also would like to know how you measure that on housing?
I of course don't have the Toyota special tools.
If any body have information, or pics to see how I can clear that pinion depth tuning .
Just a little precison, the kit comes with a solid spacer and shims to adjust the bearing preload .
Thanks for helping a poor rallymen , sad with his long 4,3:1 ratio.
Wave
Phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars
Find all posts by this user
10-16-2008, 02:22 PM
ring&pinion set info
You'll have to assemble the gearset and adjust pinion depth according to tooth contact. I'm sure the numbers stamped along the length of the pinion shaft is a manufacturing date.
10-17-2008, 12:02 AM
ring&pinion set info
Hi,
you can install the r&p using the manual...

Greets raki

http://www.sg-rallyesport.de
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
ring&pinion set info
I think Phil is right, ring&pinion kits often come stamped with the pinion depth setting for which it was manufactured. I have an explanation of how this works on a richmond-gear instruction video somewhere, but I dont have a way of converting that old VHS to avi at home.

It might be easier to just adjust pinion depth by looking at the contact pattern like the manual describes. Just install the pinion without a cruch collar and watch out you dont overtighten the bearings, then look at the contact pattern and adjust pinion depth spacers accordingly.

From what I've gathered, 9 times out of 10 the old pinion spacers set the pinion depth exactly where you want it, so just slap it together and look at the pattern.

This installation manual from Yukon gear is very helpfull with pictures and stuff.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2008, 11:33 PM
ring&pinion set info
Ivan , that's just what it was done before on my former R&P , using the old depth pinion shim and that's What I'll do .
Using the manual , that's a good start , but I had to do special tools by myself . I ground the bearing bore (an old bearing of course) to make it slip easily .I don't know if you've ever tried to remove the inner bearing ,not really a pleasure party !
I also made a tool to figure the ring center , where you measure the pinion depth .
Hope I can fix that soon , but it's rally time this week-end , and it's painful to drive with 15" rims and stock R&P .
And It's now very difficult to find competitive 13" tyres .
Phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ring gear bolts DJexor 3 4,924 12-26-2016 10:56 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  DIY: a quick outline on why & how to set pinion angle. assassin10000 9 17,064 12-21-2016 10:28 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 4,037 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Checking ring gear diff izanagi 3 4,617 07-09-2014 07:38 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Ring & pinion ratio. izanagi 27 24,909 07-05-2014 07:35 PM
Last Post: assassin10000