rear axle/ diff problems
01-06-2006, 06:22 PM
rear axle/ diff problems
Not AE86, but i think there are enough experienced guys overhere who can help me with my problem Smile

After some (unwanted) 'drifting' action a few days ago, my rear axle makes a terrible noise Sad.

While 'cruising' it rattles (tried to capture it on a movie, but irl it's far more worse then this Sad). It's a metal to metalish sound.

When going full throttle, the rattling immediatly stops and my diff starts to whine (very loud). Sounds like a supercharged engine from the inside Smile

I never heard any strange sounds from my axle untill that 'drift'action. And it suddenly came, being very loud.

I went to a garage to check some things.

- No abnormal play on driveshaft
- diff oil looked good, some minor bits of metal, but that's normal
- gearbox oil the same.

But the strange part was, when i ran it on axlestands, to try to find out where the sound comes from, the rattle was not coming from the diff, but it looked like coming from the driveshaft itself Dumb question
Nearly impossible imho, because there are no moving parts other then the axle itself. Could be the gearbox, but i can't understand that (if the gearbox is broken) how it's possible to kill both the diff and the gearbox in the same time Big Grin.

When i slightly pulled the e-brake, one wheel stopped and the pinion gears began rotating, i heard another sound. So i guess the diff is gone, but i can't explain the other strange rattle i'm having in my driveshaft Dumb question

I was offered another KE20 axle, but i'm afraid it only solves one problem.

Anyone has some ideas for me?

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2006, 03:24 PM
rear axle/ diff problems
Check all bolts for torque. You could have sheared one off, that could make a similar sound.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
03-08-2006, 09:07 PM
rear axle/ diff problems
When i tested my 'new' Rolla yesterday for the first time against Calavera's one. The diff began to make noise.
Not the 'normal' whistle like the one from Calavera but more loud, like doktor said, an supercharger.

It's only when you rev it full trhottle and the gear oil is warm.
I can try to change the oil, but i'm not sure if this will work for long.

Where does the noise come from, don't think the planet-wheels but more the outer diff bearings or the pignon/crown bearings or so?
03-09-2006, 12:04 AM
rear axle/ diff problems
my diff had severe damage on ring & pignon gears

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - rear axle/ diff problems]

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
03-09-2006, 02:10 PM
rear axle/ diff problems
Auch....

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't order a new ring and pinion when the new bearings come in and we rebuild my rear axle...Smile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-09-2006, 03:01 PM
rear axle/ diff problems
I'd like that too. The bad news is that it is frikkin expensive. Still need to get NoHachi on the job of tracking down a cheaper set. I can live with the prices of the richmond 4.1 gears, but I want the stock 4.3 ratio, which is a lot more expensive.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2006, 10:55 PM
rear axle/ diff problems
my R&P gears costed 673 euro without BTW.
So i decided not to fix the broken diff Smile

-Shinji Minowa
03-10-2006, 08:38 AM
rear axle/ diff problems
Stock toyota prices are around 600-ish euro's for a 4.3 up to 800 for the hiace 4.5. TRD and techno pro spirit go for around 400 to 500 dollars.
I have a sneaking suspicion that toyota sells the stock ring and pinion kits cheaper in japan.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-11-2006, 09:00 PM
rear axle/ diff problems
Picked from the dutch-diffbearing-groupbuy-topic.

TE71corolla Wrote:okee ik ben eruit met die final gear rommel
ik heb zelf liggen:
4.300(komt in de buurt voor mij)
4.100(standaard rommel Tongue )
3.909(kun je in top erg hard gaan als je genoeg power hebt Tongue )

maar ik wil naar 4.556!!! 41 tanden kroonwiel en 9 tanden pignonwiel
WIE OHW WIE!?????? Hurray!

@Ivan. indeed in Japan the gearings are much cheaper, founded some SC gearings 3.7-3.9 and for NA 4.55 and 4.77. I think it are TRD ones.
Now i have an good contact for importing stuff from japan Wink
The prices are reliable, for about original here you can get 2 from Japan.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - rear axle/ diff problems]

I'm only searching for an nearly standard gearing, but what is standard? The 4.1 or the 4.3? I'm thinking about the 3.9 one, and make some more power then Wink

And whats the precise difference between the prefacelift and the facelift diff? Is it possible to swap the gearings between those 2?
03-11-2006, 09:26 PM
rear axle/ diff problems
The kouki (late model) has bigger axle shafts, but only the LSD is different. The ring and pinion are identical. 4.3 is the stock ratio for GT's. 4.1 is stock on SR5 models, but 4.1 and lower gearing can be found cheaper in the US.

So what prices are we talking about for 4.3 ratio ring and pinion kits?

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 16,989 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 704 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Big wheel problems gh0st 16 6,741 11-15-2021 10:51 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,157 08-31-2021 06:20 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla