is this typical
05-10-2010, 10:55 AM
is this typical
So what do you estimate the drivetrain loss at? Assuming you are not all on engine dyno's Smile
Find all posts by this user
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
is this typical
jasper Wrote:i had 148.4 bhp @ the wheels and 168 @ crank :wink:

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-10-2010, 07:23 PM
is this typical
jasper Wrote:i had 148.4 bhp @ the wheels and 168 @ crank :wink:

So that is 14% drivetrain loss ? mmm......

An analogue brain in a digital World
05-11-2010, 06:51 AM
is this typical
Ok thats cool to see someone actually compared WHP on the dyno and had their motor on an engine dyno and got the difference. Its amazing how far off the factor motor is then, considering the stock crank figures are 165HP, and they all seem to make 130WHP stock, which is a 20% loss.
05-11-2010, 08:12 AM
is this typical
? I think both those numbers are chassis dyno numbers.

For what its worth..compared to the ca18det in a heavier chassis at stock boost(but slight overboost due to exhaust) it feels different. The power to weight ratios should be similar with a slight edge to the ca..in practice its half throttle in the ca vs full rpm scream in the 4A. To be honest the 20v had seen better days.

05-11-2010, 08:53 AM
is this typical
Ah, then the crank HP is just an estimate since no chassis dyno gives actual crank HP... no worries!
05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
is this typical
Except the engine is "crank-dynoed" at factory, then it's not a estimate. Smile
05-11-2010, 09:43 AM
is this typical
It is once the marketing boys have waved their little magic markers. Cool

In the end, HP is just a number on paper. Its how the engine moves the car that's important.. I once tried to start a thread on typical performance measurements..like 0-100km/h, 80-120kp/h
That would really give a nice impression on how much of a performance gain you are actually getting from everything..and you don't need expensive dynos. Its quite accurate too since most 86's are within 100kg's of each other. (less then 10% variance so no real influence on performance).
How about some people digging that thread up, doing some measurements and posting them on the forums? The 0-100 takes some skill..but 80-120kp/h is near foolproof and easy to do safely and legally on a quiet road.
I would do it myself, but the wiring loom is undergoing some work and I'm having the intercooler piping rerouted.

05-11-2010, 10:02 AM
is this typical
Uzelac Wrote:Except the engine is "crank-dynoed" at factory, then it's not a estimate. Smile

Yes the engine is crank dyno'd at the factory, and that also has a weak relationship to someone claiming an exact crank HP figure on a modified motor. Hence the estimate.
05-11-2010, 11:17 AM
is this typical
OK, lets talk WHP
After all my mods and a day of dyno tuning my Blacktop had 150rwhp
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - is this typical]

BTW, I still have this complete 20V head for sale Cool

http://monkeymagic86.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user