domi's general whine-and-whimper thread
03-11-2007, 10:47 PM
I had been lead to believe that a car either has MAP or AFM sensors and that the Blacktop had a MAP sensor... Could be wrong there. I am struggling to find a vacuum line diagram for my motor, so i can check if a vacuum leak is at hand. Only insight i have on the issue is that i have between 6 and 12 psi of vacuum on the Fuel Pressure regulator, which is perfect by the book, but i have no clue if it speaks on behalf of the whole vacuum system. The ECU is still registering error code 21, which i believe is short/open O2 sensor heater circuit. Per current research the oxygen sensor terminal going to the ECU has 4 terminals, 1 and 2 being the heater, 3 the sensor signal wire and 4 ground. Weird stuff there:
I tried identifying if everything is wired properly and the 3rd terminal checked out okay - it is the signal wire. Terminal four, which should be ground is the only one that registered resistance between it and the car's body, which i guess is okay, but the weird thing is that when ignition is on and i check for voltage [multimeter negative on battery minus] the supposed Ground terminal has 12V! Terminal 1 is dead and terminal 2, which should have 12V has about 2-3. I'm confused. I mean, even with that as it is if i just route the signal wire and leave the rest open, once the car is warmed up it should have no issues, but it's still bogging. I'm fairly fed up with this now. Problem is if i drive it over to a service shop there's a good chance they wouldn't fix jack, due to the engine not being officially serviced in the US, most they can do is get me in trouble for driving around in an illegaly swapped car. =(
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2007, 12:49 AM
You know what - forget everything i said. News just in: the ground and battery positive terminals are shorting. I'm ripping the harness apart to find the junction. That would explain why it's leaning out - the ground is pumping 12V into the circuit...
03-12-2007, 08:21 AM
BLOODY MOTHERFXXKING HELL!!!

The engine and body have 12V... Every single ground wire is instead flowing voltage into its respective circuit. It's a holy miracle the oxygen sensor is the only thing that's registering goofy, this car shouldn't even be able to light a bulb the way i see it. The whole harness is spread open and disected currently and none of this makes sense anymore. I checked all the wires going from the ground [E] terminals of the ECU - they're going to a ground, then checked the +B terminal and none of it's successive wiring is going to the chasis as far as i can tell. There are a few options left - one of the cables from the positive battery term is shorting with the engine/body. The ones i could follow do as they should, only two options were the cable that goes to the main relay fusebox and one of the cables going to the engine. There are two going to it, only one is visible with a load of effort - it goes to the connector on the starter solenoid. Does anyone have an idea where the other one goes? It's over the K-pillar of the suspension, so even if i jack the front up and go underneath - i still wouldn't see it.

My car is doomed Undecided
03-12-2007, 09:24 AM
time to get a replacement loom???Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-12-2007, 11:28 AM
With pleasure, but i only wish that was the issue - the ECU was disconnected, no keys in the ignition and i pulled every fuse one by one - there was constant continuity between the +B and the chassis. The only cables before the fusebox i can reckognise are the ones to the starter, alternator and there should be one to the coil. I fail to locate the last one, the rest seem in order, though...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 4,036 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Oil plug thread size is M18x1.5 ???? Dino86 5 8,564 06-07-2012 04:54 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  AE86 Temperature gauge sender thread? 4AGE FORD 1 3,659 03-20-2011 01:25 AM
Last Post: 4AGE FORD
  General suspension questions Jezza_hr 22 17,592 04-16-2010 06:26 PM
Last Post: Jezza_hr
  4ag/ze Water temp sender thread type/size. Rick 2 3,638 01-13-2009 04:28 AM
Last Post: Rick