brake light always on
08-13-2013, 06:28 AM
brake light always on
My brake light is still on after I parked, switched off, and removed the key. Sometime it goes out if I slam on the brake pedal, but now this don't work anymore. It looks like some kind of pedal sensor is causng the problem??

What/where should I look for to fix it?
Find all posts by this user
08-13-2013, 07:09 AM
brake light always on
this usually means the brake fluid is low check that first, if not check the connector that goes to the ebrake itself under the center console piece
08-16-2013, 09:14 AM
brake light always on
I'd checked the brake fluid, and it is at a high level.

How dose that ebrake connector look like?

Respect!

daveskatesallday Wrote:this usually means the brake fluid is low check that first, if not check the connector that goes to the ebrake itself under the center console piece
08-16-2013, 11:55 PM
brake light always on
kawo Wrote:I'd checked the brake fluid, and it is at a high level.

How dose that ebrake connector look like?

Respect!

daveskatesallday Wrote:this usually means the brake fluid is low check that first, if not check the connector that goes to the ebrake itself under the center console piece

I don't have a picture but if you remove the center plastic piece that covers the ebrake, remove it, then pull up the carpet a bit and you should see it, it's a small square/rectangle type connector you can't miss it, it connects to the ebrake check it to see if any dirt is in there or if it's disconnected, it doesn't happen often but it can happen
08-17-2013, 11:49 AM
brake light always on
Are you referring to the Brake indicator on the dash cluster or the Brake lights on the rear of the vehicle?

If you mean the rear brake lights then you need to check the brake light switch, it is located at the top of the brake pedal near the pivot point, and it is adjustable.
08-17-2013, 12:58 PM
brake light always on
Rob_GTZ Wrote:Are you referring to the Brake indicator on the dash cluster or the Brake lights on the rear of the vehicle?

Thanks. Excellent question & reply since OP's first says 'removed the key', something dave.. should never have attempted to answer.
08-17-2013, 07:42 PM
brake light always on
allencr Wrote:
Rob_GTZ Wrote:Are you referring to the Brake indicator on the dash cluster or the Brake lights on the rear of the vehicle?

Thanks. Excellent question & reply since OP's first says 'removed the key', something dave.. should never have attempted to answer.

completely overlooked that *facepalm*
08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
brake light always on
Thank Rob and Dave,

Yes, my problem is the red brake tail lights are ON all the time at the rear.

I will find sometime to play with the brake pedal to see if I can fix it.

I now just disconnect the tail light when I am parked.

In case the brake light switch cannot be adjusted and need to be replaced, is the replacement part easy to find? Is it AE86 exclusive parts?
08-22-2013, 08:12 PM
brake light always on
kawo Wrote:Thank Rob and Dave,

Yes, my problem is the red brake tail lights are ON all the time at the rear.

I will find sometime to play with the brake pedal to see if I can fix it.

I now just disconnect the tail light when I am parked.

In case the brake light switch cannot be adjusted and need to be replaced, is the replacement part easy to find? Is it AE86 exclusive parts?

haha yea i feel dumb my apologize for the confusion the funny thing is I had this same issue about 4 weeks ago although mine came from wires being cut under the wheel well. What it could be is when you let go of the brake pedal it isn't hitting the switch button to turn the brake lights off. Sometimes (rarely) the brake switch can get out of adjustment so if it isn't touching the brake pedal when it isn't being pressed there's a way to adjust it you have to get under there and unscrew it and mess with it to get it right. Another thing you can do it completely remove the switch to make sure dirt or nothing built up in there and take the connector off and blow it just to be sure. If all else fails you can find another brake switch for like $10-15 depending where you live but you can find some on ebay, rockauto. com and many places it isn't too hard of a part to find
08-24-2013, 07:25 AM
brake light always on
Yeah, I had located the switch. Although I had disconnected the rear lamp to make it not lit when the car is parked. It seems the brake light circuit is still working and my battery is drained after 5 days parked.

The switch is firmly attached to the pedal when the pedal is not pressed.

Now, I just disconnect the plug to the sensor, and the brake like is OFF.

I don't know how to adjust the switch/sensor, maybe I have to buy a new one?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWR light issue and no brake fluid after winter storage magpie 10 1,550 05-25-2023 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Brake master cylinder for FC3S brake conversion Hachi Go 8 13,437 03-03-2011 12:06 AM
Last Post: filh
  left turn signal always flashes. bulbs are good Mitchen 1 2,956 07-27-2010 12:33 AM
Last Post: Mitchen
  How to bleed brake system after master brake replacement Ivan141 12 18,078 09-18-2005 11:21 PM
Last Post: Ivan141