axle swap time how capable is a std crownwheel and pinion
09-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Think I saw this over here (here being Europe)???? Volvo axle w/Dana 30

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - axle swap time how capable ...and pinion]

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
09-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Gear became problem for me with 230bhp NA. Went through 3 sets of gears in 2 years. After last one said enough. So I guess thicker shafts will definitely hold, however can't thing the same of gear..
09-20-2013, 05:14 PM
here in belgium like above volvo for high powered ae86 is much done in the rally.

id like to keep my original ae86 axle,wonder if it will work with ae101 4AGZE engine -.-
09-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Depends on your driving..it could last for a long long time. But if you plan on any drifting, best start saving up for that Pajero axle.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-20-2013, 06:47 PM
no drifting just circuit and rallyish,maybe a little bit of drifting.
What would most likely break the shafts?
I think you can buy thicker for those.
09-21-2013, 12:50 PM
halfshafts and final gear was always a problem on the ae86 when it comes to anything else other than normal road use. i remember that from the first year since im into these cars. you can read about this every forum/community. and there inst any real solution for that except switching to something else, swapping in a more heavy duty rear axle. ford axles, atlas axles, volvo axles, supra axles. dont get me wrong, people still race with the oem stuff and they work but its just a matter of time when they wear off or break and they will break when they under heavy load, exactly when you are on the track. i have been digging the web for solution for months to find out that the cheapest and most reasonable solution to all the halfshaft breaking, lsd operation and final gear wear problem is the pajero axle and its different variants.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2013, 08:06 PM
as with everything.... it is a compromise....

I chose to "baby" the standard unit, strengthen it where I can without adding mass(for example - solid pinion spacer). IF you don't drift it it holds up far better....

What goes hand in hand with axle, and entire driveline strength ... is MASS! Lower the cars mass and all the driveline parts survive a whole lot better....

and as a final brainfart in this post... you are breaking axles and diffs and NOT breaking T50s?

Overall T50 failure usually occurs before the final drive

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
09-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Problem is that you'll have a hard time lowering the cars mass by anything significant in practice.. I know people will fall over me saying this, but please show me the the scale readouts proving it.

A low power tuned 4ag streetcar (<200hp) will shave some kg's/lbs but those are hardly the ones munching axles.

For track/drift you add 40-60kgs of cage, for torque you add 50kgs worth of intercoolers, turbo's, compressors or blocks. Weight balance will probably be better with a bigger rear axle if you go for big torque.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-23-2013, 01:52 AM
^^ What everybody wrote.

Last time I heard about a 6,7" T-axle have a just about complete failure was when a bloke slammed a 1UZ in an SR5, took a TA40 diff and used an AE86 LSD on that, and drifted the pants of it, according to the rumor (someone knew who did it) it lasted well into the second drift-season.

If you`re absolutely sure your diff wont do the job then Weir makes thicker halfshafts (They have to modify your LSD unit though), and some other firm makes custom pinions and crown-wheels claimed to be more robust, the Weir stuff costs around 800-1000E`s I think, and the custom pinion/crown combo around 300-400, maybe more.

Or you can get a different rear axle, install LSD in that+shimming+bearing change+custom drive shaft+swap over all the mounts.

If I had the money I`d prefer reinforcing the OEM diff, more of a bolt-on job, but I`m pretty sure N/A 4AGE/2T engines will have a hard time destroying the diff, personally I`d put the blame of blown diffs on low oil levels or cheap crap oil or wrong oil viscosity.

1x AE86 84` Zenki Coupè Levin 4A-GE 20v
1x AE86 83' Zenki Coupe Levin 4A-GE 16v
1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
1x TA40 78` MK1 Zenk/Pre-Facelift Wagon 4A-GE 16v
09-25-2013, 01:31 PM
just found a source for 3 pajero LSD!
the guy who sells them is an ass and only sell them for worthy price if i buy all of them together.
so let me know if any of you need one or want me to build an axle for you!
lsd with final gear and casing, price is €135 for each
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 16,943 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 689 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Rear axle options Dino86 13 11,477 01-08-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: ditn
  DIY: a quick outline on why & how to set pinion angle. assassin10000 9 17,041 12-21-2016 10:28 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,540 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu