ae86 redline?
05-10-2010, 06:30 AM
ae86 redline?
so i bought a gts hatchback not to long ago...its running a 4age with 2 webber carbs on it...the guy who owned the car before me says the car has no rev limit because it does not have an ecu...i just wana kno if theres any way to get a rev limit back on the car for sake of not blowing the engine...also the tachometer is disconected/broken
Find all posts by this user
05-10-2010, 06:58 AM
ae86 redline?
well you shouldjust be able to get the ecu. that would do it. but are you sure you have a 4A-GE? and not a 4A-C? i've never heard of a carbbed 4A-GE.

*I can drift my car with no ABS, no ABS*
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2010, 09:02 AM
ae86 redline?
To get any answers on your question you first need to find out what's running your ignition. My guess its a hacked distributor in which case things become creative. It will be impossible/impractical to add a rev limit short of either reinstalling the ECU and sensors to run the ignition or install a different kind of ignition system (MSD or similar).

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-10-2010, 01:39 PM
ae86 redline?
Get the tachometer working and observe where the red section starts.
Drive with one eye on the tacho until you learn what the engine SOUNDS
like at redline, and how it FEELS. Usually peak torque occurs well short of
redline, so once you feel the engine flatten out, you change gear Smile

It will make you a better driver, and you won't need a rev limiter.

Cheers... jondee86
05-11-2010, 05:40 AM
ae86 redline?
IM sure im runnin a 4age...it was fuel injected but he carbed it...ive seen this done plenty of times..as for the ignition setup the car has a cd ignition multi spark...not sure what that is but its a little box down by the clutch wired to the coil and aftermarket fuel pump and switch...i cant figure out how this thing works, but i just wanted a rev limit cuz im getting into drifting and am scared of blowing up my baby
05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
ae86 redline?
I'd say buy yourself a shiftlight if you think you can control any over revving, that way you get a warning for not much investment. Otherwise fit stock ECU for ignition only, or megasquirt 'n spark or some other aftermarket ignition ECU (the aftermarket route will require lots of tuning).
I dont know of any products you can buy of the shelf to install as a rev limiter. I could make such a thing but I doubt it would do the engine any good with my knowledge about what cutting sparks does Big Grin Furthermore it wouldnt be interesting since about 1 people wants such a thing.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2010, 07:13 AM
ae86 redline?
im gona start looking into things like that...thanks for the knowledge guys Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Redline Taillights question AshCampbell 3 3,563 06-02-2007 08:52 PM
Last Post: Fallguz