about ShortShifts in general
09-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Dorito,
what about the clutch ???
Do you really use full racing metal one ???
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2005, 11:18 AM
No problem here either Jammie!!! :wink:
Let us know when u r ready! Thumbs up!

AE86 FANATIC!!!
Find all posts by this user
09-15-2005, 11:41 AM
I have the TRD shift fitted, i like the feel it gives, you can actually feel it slotting into gear rather than the standard very smooth shift. I like that positive feedback.

Currently its very rattly, but i think i know why, so that should be sorted, but its certainly nosier than standard. But then in the stripped out interior, nothing is very quite anyway.

nmwisima

these are pretty easy to make i think, i can source used ones fron japan but they aren't going to be cheap enough for you, the T3 ones looks pretty good value, and i also remember seeing a Danish seller on eBay with them, so you might consider this if you don't want home made.

They all work on the same principle, so there is nothing much to choose between them, TRD use a higher cup rather than a spacer, but thats the only difference.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - about ShortShifts in general]
09-15-2005, 11:51 AM
jamiemirror Wrote:Dorito,
what about the clutch ???
Do you really use full racing metal one ???

Yes. Do you think the problem could be related? Maybe too mych stress going through to the box due to harder clutch bite?

Also the flywheel is the JUN lightweight unit, so it has less inertia -> even more jolt during engagement...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Dorito, it can be related but 4000km is too little :-(
IMHO this is ceramic plated clutch, not metal one.
When you rebuild the gears again - take extra care to synchros replacement - maybe the previous rebuild was not 100% correct ?
I cannot imagine how the short shifter can affect synchros - maybe you drastically changed your driving style after that conversion ?
09-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Driving style? what driving style. Man, I've done 4000kms in 8 months. I don't think I damaged anything (I don't use 4th gear a lot either..).

My thoughts are also that the mechanic f@cked up. AAAAAARRRGH

Well, if you want something done right, do it yourself. And since I can't (no knowledge, no space, no tools) I'll just have to bear with it... Angry
09-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Driving style change:
more often gear change, faster gear change, gear change with hi-revving engine, fast clutch depress & wheel spin - just examples.

Don't be angry man - if you can't do it yourself - give it to the professional. If you don't trust him - visit him often to oversee his work (in progress).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 4,036 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  General suspension questions Jezza_hr 22 17,597 04-16-2010 06:26 PM
Last Post: Jezza_hr
  domi's general whine-and-whimper thread domi 15 11,902 03-12-2007 11:28 AM
Last Post: domi
  Hatch... General Q's... Whatever JTA 8 6,669 03-02-2005 10:20 PM
Last Post: Widar