Which setup for drifting...?
02-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi… I’m quite new in this drifting world… I’ve owned my AE86 (A Zenki AE86 Levin i guess) for 2 months now and the summer is about to set in…

But I need some help for getting the car fit for the season 2007… The car is stock and needs some body work done and a paintjob… so that’s the first money spend… but I need to improve the car so that I can use it for drifting… the car should could be used for normal driving as well (U know driving to competitions, car shows, summer driving ect.)

I want some styling I thought of buying the ”Version Selected Toyota Corolla AE86 Levin Ver I Full Body kit” from http://www.driftfactory.com and the ”Origin Front Over Fender 20mm Toyota Corolla Levin AE86 84-87 ” and the same for the back fender for that wide look… and for holding the rims inside the fenders… The car does have the original spoiler on the back so I’ll just keep it…
Does anyone know if I can buy it cheaper somewhere else..?

I’ve thought of some different solutions for the engine…
An 4A-GZE block with my own top, a custom exhaust manifold with a Nissan turbo with a small compressor wheel for HP at low RPM. It all mounted with a MegaSquirt full programmed engine control. It should all be good for over 220 HP on the tires…
But is there a better NA solution to my HP problem…?

And witch suspension should I install…? Does you have and good solutions…?
My best guess is to make the back of the car as stiff as possible (Without breaking all the bolts) to loose some of the traction…

What rims and tires should I use…?

Should I change the front suspension to a kind so that I could adjust the camber quite agressive..?

And what should I do with the diff…? The car is std. mounted with LSD… but is it strong enough…?

Hope to get some good answers…! And I does not hope that I ask too many questions…

Thanx in advance…

/bm, Aarhus C, Denmark

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
02-24-2006, 10:24 PM
GSMUnlockDK Wrote:a custom exhaust manifold with a Nissan turbo with a small compressor wheel for HP at low RPM.

Aheemmm... A Nissan turbo with a small compressor wheel..? Dumb question

You can easily drift the stock AE86, try that first and get to know the car. After that you can upgrade the engine, and avoid to smash it in the guardrail. Smile

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
BTW, Welcome Boris - Nice to have another Dane on the board Thumbs up!

02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Knudsen Wrote:Aheemmm... A Nissan turbo with a small compressor wheel..? Dumb question
Is this not the way to get press at low rpm...

Knudsen Wrote:You can easily drift the stock AE86, try that first and get to know the car. After that you can upgrade the engine, and avoid to smash it in the guardrail. Smile

Well I'we dithed it 4 times... All thats broken is the frontbumper... but I am in desperat need in some drift friends...

You know I got to learn... It is getting kind-a boring just taking rounds at the roundabout....

Knudsen pleace add me on MSN @ [email protected]

/bm
02-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Quote:It is getting kind-a boring just taking rounds at the roundabout....
sigh i know that feeling

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Which setup for drifting...?]
02-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Wow, there, hold on...

You drifted "4" times? How are drifts counted? Big Grin Big Grin

Seriously now: You smasmed your bumper allready?

Boy, you got to be carefull. Take it easy at the beggining and all will come with time. You do not need to rush things noone judges you if you 're good drifter or something.

Find a SAFE PLACE to practice, so yopu avoid harm your car, yourself and others :wink:

And of course wellcome. Ask whatever you like and I hope we can help Smile

p.s: 200SX is a turbo car and has a turbo manifold. Nothing to do with the 4age engine in your AE86. And yes, a small turbo is the way to get torque at low rpm, but your car has to be aturbo one. AE86 is not.

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Which setup for drifting...?] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-25-2006, 12:43 AM
The AE86 can be turboed with a 4AGTE engine, nmwisima :wink:

Boris, i was a bit confused at the moment, it read your "compressor wheel" as a beltdrive for a supercharger... My bad!

Added you to my messenger...

02-25-2006, 02:07 AM
Knudsen Wrote:The AE86 can be turboed with a 4AGTE engine, nmwisima :wink:

No offence, but do you think that our friend here needs a turbo setup right now?
I mean, he's drifted 4 times allready but turboing your AE86 is a totally different story dont you think?

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Which setup for drifting...?] http://www.jdmbits.com
02-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Well, i know that Boris can handle a turboed Celica. Offcourse a Hachi is a different car to handle, but it was only meant as a suggestion Smile

02-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Welcome Boris!

Its important that you get to know your car - handeling an RWD car is quite hard (took me some time anyway). I'd start out with some nice suspension parts: Springs, shocks and bushings. Oh and a rebuild diff Smile I don't see any need for camber plates at first...

Safe place to drive - well I know Stenvedel is trying to arrange a meet with track time!

Regarding the 4AGTE: Don't rush it! I thought I wanted one at first, but I'm not sure its the right way to go...

nmwisima, this isn't calub4ag...

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Which setup for drifting...?]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front setup gtapex 2 7,541 12-11-2016 06:27 AM
Last Post: fantapants
  Drift setup, choices on a budget ggrahl 13 22,317 05-28-2013 05:32 PM
Last Post: Rascal21
  Drifting with stock power on the dry AshCampbell 47 54,771 05-23-2012 02:22 PM
Last Post: phill 92
  Best setup for drifting... Okami 68 84,176 01-19-2012 11:20 PM
Last Post: Okami
  Drifting Lelystad New Vid check bottom Okami 9 15,886 03-14-2011 10:47 PM
Last Post: Okami