What electric fan fits into ae86's radiator?
09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Hello:

I,m thinking in change the viscous fan for a electric fan, ae86's radiator have hookings for one electric fan.... know the model?

Regards

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - What electric fan fits into... radiator?]
Find all posts by this user
09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Ive found a viscous fan is alot better than any electric fan, and we run viscous on 90% of our drift cars
09-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Joe Ae86 Irl Wrote:Ive found a viscous fan is alot better than any electric fan, and we run viscous on 90% of our drift cars

Is viscous the stock one?

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Joe Ae86 Irl Wrote:Ive found a viscous fan is alot better than any electric fan, and we run viscous on 90% of our drift cars

hello

Can you explain some motive to me?.... i think change to have less weight in the timing belt.... Confused

Regards

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - What electric fan fits into... radiator?]
09-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Joe,

Indeed, interesting statement, this has been a subject of much debate within the rx7club where many do an electric fan upgrade. Here's my 20 cents.

The main reason people go from viscous clutch to electric fan is that a viscous clutch is driven by the engine. This has two disadvantages:
- when the car is idling the low RPM means the airflow is lower, but at idling (when the car is standing still or in heavy traffic) is when you need the cooling the most, when you're driving the driving wind is much more effective at cooling your engine then the fan, but this is the time when its doing its best work.
- when the car is at high RPM the extra load on the engine of the belts and pullies just creates a tiny bit of drag and loss of hp (- 0.00005 hp, lol). Again, at high RPM your driving and really not needing the fan at all.

However if we examine the two main rules above more carefully we see that if we look at a drift car we suddenly see a fundimental flaw in the reasoning which I'm guessing is your reason for sticking with a clutch fan.
In a drift car you're mostly going sideways, that means that even at speed there is usualy not much driving wind going past the radiator, however your engine is working very hard (usually you're redlining your engine) at heating up the engine and thus that radiator. At high RPM your clutch fan would be working at maximum capacity, way better then any electric fan could ever reach (remember, electric fans are calculated at cooling radiators at near idling speeds, not an engine being redlined constantly without driving wind cooling the radiator!). Also an electric motor having to run CONSTANTLY at max RPM will wear quickly (especially if its not meant to) and eventually fail, you don't want a fan motor to fail on a drift car. Clutch fans don't just fail.

I would even go as far as suggesting to lock up the clutch mechanism in the clutch fan allthough I'm not sure the increase in RPM will not destroy the fan itself (at high RPM the clutch mechanism will cause the clutch to slip and the RPM of the fan itself to drop).

I think this is a fundimental difference in track cars v.s. drift cars where track cars can use driving wind for cooling and can benefit from using electric fans that only switch on when they are really needed (in the pit lanes or on very hot days) versus drift cars where you constantly need a fan running at high capacity because you lack enough driving wind to cool your engine.

But thats just my thoughts.. I could have gotten it completely wrong Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Radiator & grill support panel (Levin) FanIsHere 5 1,528 11-14-2022 10:07 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Alu thick core radiator fitment Gtsi-R 5 2,152 01-26-2022 01:28 PM
Last Post: Gtsi-R
  Can you seperate trueno kouki bumper lights into zenki bumper lights? gh0st 17 6,155 12-19-2021 11:58 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  AE86 F20C swap - Radiator issue mad.matt 3 5,434 02-07-2018 05:14 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Radiator oem or upgrade on racecar? Jimmi The Kid 5 5,212 06-23-2017 05:21 PM
Last Post: pack