What brand of street shocks do you have?
02-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Well i don't know about the tokico blues: I've read a few things that they are more like OEM units? I'd really prefer a street setup that is firm and can be used on the track from time to time.

i don't care if its "JDM-tite" or such crap Wink I just like the quality of japanese parts.

KONI Yellow are fucking expensive around here Sad

For my 200sx, i pay 1000 CHF for 4. That's around 620 EUR. MAybe they're cheaper for AE86 but i doubt it.

From trd japan, adjustable shocks plus a set of springs would be 530 CHF, which is around 327 EUR. Thats without shippng and customs. Including shipping and customs it would be around ~430 EUR..

the adjustable shocks alone are only around 37'000 yen which is about 240 eur. The non-adjustable shocks would be around 114 EUR but i Don't think they would suit what we are looking for in terms of sportiness. (please note these prices are without shipping and customs from japan)
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
hmm, that seems quite reasonably priced, given that springs are included as well.. What sort of springrates do they have? Im looking for 4kg/mm front, 3 for rear.

Now im really interested, what are theese shocks? They are not the HTS that mux has or are they? Cmon experts, share the knowlidge!
02-06-2007, 02:46 PM
yes i would also love to know if the mentioned trd parts are Bolt-on applications.

I dont want a short stroke solution because it would be too low for me, and too much work involved.

please note the prices i posted may differ for customs and shipping to you. It's just about what i'm used to, i always order at the same shop and they fake the invoice so the cost of customs drops to a really small price. Also they ship using EMS or BaxGlobal very cheap. (and the parts usually arrive 4 days after they were sent off in japan Hurray! )

edit:

about the springrates - i'm pretty sure they should be very moderate.

On the site above there is the following written in the comments field of the springs:

Front K=27.4N/mm

Rear K=26.5N/mm

What could that mean? spring rates in a different format?
02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Quote:Front K=27.4N/mm

Rear K=26.5N/mm

~2.74kg/mm, 2.65kg/mm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks. That sounds good to me. With the higher adjustability on the front shocks it should be possible to run a smooth, but stable street / occasional track setup with this. Smile

IF the adjustable shocks are long stroke that is.
02-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Yellow Koni
eibach Springs.

Kp62 - 135hp
Ae86 - 135hp
C32 Laurel - 440hp
C32 Laurel - 125hp

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - What brand of street shocks do you have?]
02-06-2007, 05:22 PM
well i dont know, i would like to go short stroke, or at least "shorter" stroke. like 3cms or max 4 cms.. and since shocks cost the same i'll go for ae92 shortstrokes just to be safe. cutting tha strut casing 3cms isnt alot of work.. Also the spring rates are a bit softer than what i was thinking. 4front, 3 rear perhaps just a bit more, rather than less..

So lets focus on the springs now? I see people running apex, eibach, swift.. which company could suply those rates for ae86.. what are the differences? after all it is just a steel coil..
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Exactly. I have seen people making cocky remarks about spring quality, but never a single document to back those claims up. Might be interesting to try and find out whether something like that is available.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Fallquz-
Tokico Blues are supposed to be slightly stiffer than stock shocks. The vague thing, is that may mean stiffer than the base Corolla, or stiffer than the SR5, or stiffer than the GTS, no one at Tokico really will respond to that. They just will say stiffer than the original shocks, and when there are several original models, stiffer than the midrange is typical.
So like KYB GR2s, they should be close to a stock GTS, stiffer than an SR5, and no one can get a more precise answer out of them.

AFAIK there are no "long" stroke shocks, which would mean LONGER than original. There's only original, and shortened (aka "Short stroke"). Short is fine for on-track racing but really bad for road rally and other street use, where you need the original rebound length to absorb the variations on the road. A shortened suspension will either bottom out faster, or not absorb the lesser changes at all (it will ride harsher).

More important is that the shocks and springs be matched, either normal or short.

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
02-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Red Wrote:Short is fine for on-track racing but really bad for road rally and other street use, where you need the original rebound length to absorb the variations on the road. A shortened suspension will either bottom out faster, or not absorb the lesser changes at all (it will ride harsher).

i don't think this is correct. What about ae92 then that uses "shortstrokes" stock? Rebound lenght? whaat?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best thing I have done to my car yet! phill 92 7 7,056 07-16-2012 02:19 PM
Last Post: gt4st205
  How much did you paid for you TOYOTA AE86??? kennedy8383 11 11,118 09-07-2011 09:16 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  say what ! ... a must have to your collection! ae86driftmaster 7 7,715 09-21-2010 06:49 PM
Last Post: ae86driftmaster
  DO you KNOW this BRAND? sergiocharged 3 3,734 11-08-2009 06:55 AM
Last Post: sergiocharged
  street legeal tenshi240 4 4,659 06-23-2008 10:43 PM
Last Post: Bubble_Drift