TRD Springs need short stroke shocks?
03-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I was about to assemble my trd springs (6/4.7kg) and I realised that these springs are way shorter than OEM (10-12 cm - 4,5 inches).

I have bilstein shocks all around (gas shocks).

Do I need short strokes, or is there someway to get around this problem?

Need to know ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards
Find all posts by this user
03-24-2007, 07:10 PM
you can ride it its just pretty bumpy been driving like that for 1.5 years

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
03-24-2007, 07:18 PM
For me it looks like if you go over a bump, all the springs will get out of place.

What setup do you have?

Best regards
03-24-2007, 07:50 PM
yesterday i've looked at my shocks / springs that arrived (not yet installed)

They are normal stroke trd shocks, with trd japan springs (only 3 kg). I was assured that they work well together with normal stroke shocks. No idea if that is of help for you.

Will be installed next week some time, then I might be able to tell you more...
03-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Fallguz,

The important bit in your remark is that you have 3kg springs. Its not the lenght of the springs per see thats the problem, its that with such high spring rates such as 6kg they are much shorter when not under load. That means that when your car gets lifted off the ground, the springs do not fill the room that is created.

Robokill, don't forget you live in Holland, where we pay loads of tax so roads can get new tarmac every month causing many many traffic jams. So:
A) the roads are smooth
B) you can't drive fast on roads that aren't smooth because of road works
The situation in which your car jumps and causes the springs to come loose in a way that causes dangers, doesn't happen.

Apardal, yes with 6kg front 4.7kg rear you need short strokes if you do not want the springs to come loose. Just like Robo I've driven with long stroke front springs, also 6kg for many many months without problems, aslong as your wheels do not loose touch with the ground, there is no danger and even if they do come loose, springs don't go wrong that quickly.
At the rear I still have long strokes and I have 4.5kg springs and they also come loose. But again, I never have problems with it allthough I do expect taking a larger jump could get me into serious problems. Again though, I don't do jumps with my carSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-25-2007, 01:30 PM
What about cutting my bilsteins? Is it doable?

Best regards
03-25-2007, 01:48 PM
If the TRD springs are McPherson, chances are you may just need short stroke shocks. Main reason being that with a lower spring you will not utilise the travel of the shocks which may lead to them not performing up to par. If i'm not wrong there should be a diagram explaining matching strokes on C4AG, look that up.
03-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Domi,

There are two problems, length, in that the spring comes loose when the shock is fully extended, not something you encounter during driving (unless you like offroading) but an MOT failure atleast.

And there is the problem with travel which is also two part. First there is the issue that some shocks have an optimal range in which they work and due to the lowering of your car you end up below this optimal range, not all shocks have this problem, I believe koni oil shocks for instance work fine over the entire range. Second there is the issue that you encounter the bumpstops more quickly limiting the effectiveness of your suspension.

However if you would calculate your springs to bring your car at normal ride height even if they are more stiff, or if you have adjustable coilover sleeves and bring your car to (near) normal ride height, you only have the length problem when the car comes off the ground.

Apardal, I wouldn't shorten the bilsteins, just cost you a bundle and ruins the shocks imho. Do you have any problems driving? I find it hard to believe you actually are having problems while driving with this setup, unless you tent to do off roading?

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Mux, I haven't even tried it, but I can't drive with some peace of mind knowing what I have supporting my car. I just can't.

I have some options:

1. Spend a lot of money (1200-1300€) in a Greddy suspension (and some springs also, considering they come with 8kg / 6kg coils) and sell everything I have (T3 Camber plates, Bilstein shocks, TRD springs - maybe good to sell for around 600-700€).

2. Cut my bilsteins!

3. Buy short stroke shocks (don't know which ones, nor how much it will cost) Maybe even buying koni's and cutting them, I could trade the bilsteins with a friend of mine that has koni's.

4. TRASH EVERYTHING (I'm getting angry Angry )

Best regards
03-26-2007, 09:50 AM
If you have a quality Bilstein shock revalving guy in the neighbourhood, then its certainly worth the trouble. Alu bodied Bilsteins will accept Öhlins shafts etc. You could have the bodies and shafts shortend to your needs and then the valving set correctly. IF this person knows what he's doing, you would probably end up with a shock of far better quality then the original ones...problem is that people like that are rare..look around in the rally scene.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TRD Short Shifter Rattle Noise, It's Normal? Mattolo 19 17,163 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Last Post: banpei
  HKS valve springs totta Crolla 3 1,671 05-25-2022 10:24 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  TRD ECU need help ps13michi 5 2,805 02-18-2022 10:42 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  rear bilstein B6 shocks 2 types what to choose? Ryo 5 2,638 07-25-2021 04:41 AM
Last Post: Bean
  KONI Sports shocks for the AE86... jondee86 11 19,328 09-08-2017 03:38 AM
Last Post: jondee86