2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Surreptitious.....]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Surreptitious.....
from other forum
Quote:it's all starting to come together though.

For the most part... the chassis is now wired. The next part is to get the engine management wired. To do that, and make it look neat and clean(not tucked) the engine must be in so that proper routing of the engine harness, and a few pieces of the chassis harness(starter wires... oil pressure, water temp) can take place.

Thank you Jesse... and Jeff(Miura) for assisting with install

Engine - getting the last details focused on prior to install.... note the blue tape along the cam covers... trying to prevent scratching those perty camcovers during install

Off the stand........ (hopefully it won't see another engine stand for a loooong time) Note the rear water outlet... no longer rwd type.

I'm not sure... but I think all of us are camera shy. Jeff's arm holding the engine downBig Grin

I'm sorry there is no sequential photo series, but putting a 4AG in a car ISN'T that tough... but in this case, not wanting to scratch anything... 3 of us put it in... no extra hands for camera action

Nestled neatly in the AE71 engine bay.....

Did a little trim install to make this next pic a bit nicer... motivation to finish!!

Well....... now that the engine is in... some further logistics is required....

The toughest part to fit in the engine bay is the new coil packs. They need to be close enough for reasonable length wires. They also should be away from the exhaust side of the engine.

A new advantage(just realized) for running a single T/B is more room on the intake side of the engine... where it is cool, where the fuel flows... where there is almost a "production" sized space to mount a big coil pack too..... good thing this is a non A/C car or I'd still be looking

for the observant, yep... that is a 2x3 holding the coil in place

Here is the photo Mark wants to see... connectors on the side where the wires come from........

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
07-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Surreptitious.....
other forum member...
Quote: If he keeps it up(using wood as props) maybe he'll end up with wood door frames like a Morgan.

Although there is nothing wrong with wood in general(I have a piece of pine under my battery in my 86 as an absorber/acid neurtalizer) the wood is just there to aid in locating.....

The coil mount........ I began with a 16ga 8"x24"(20cm x 60cm) sheet of steel

I used my larger cut off tool to cut it to the size I need

Using a 3# hammer(small sledge), a body hammer, a few different dollies, and some WOOD! I shape the steel plate.

I then break out the Dremel to do some shaping of the back plate of the mount so that it can be mounted where I want it.

another one of those hard to see(Dan needs a new #$&%& camera) pictures, but you can see where it will get mounted too

Dan -

07-21-2009, 02:02 AM
Surreptitious.....
Also found time to fit the "new" fuel tank. It's an 86 tank in my 71

In essence... the neck was cut @ the bend, and a small piece of metal welded in to fill the cut, and straighten the filler neck about 3/8" to 1/2". Some Dremelling of the sheet metal around the neck was required

Dan -

07-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Surreptitious.....

Well.... early on in this project I knew what I was using for a cooling system, well now it is all fitted.

Mix one AE71 4AC auto radiator(dual core) and one SAAB(I believe) cooling fan shroud. MOmo and I shaped the shroud with a Dremel, note the cut out along the top for the radiator ribs... My body guy David welded on the tabs

not too tight, the pulley has more than enough room... although I may remove the studs, and put small bolts in, that way I can service the water pump w/o removing the radiator.

I will also likely have to make an upper rad panel to help direct the air, no big deal.....

Dan -

07-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Surreptitious.....
wow nice project going on there... Huh

http://www.revolverdrift.blogspot.com
07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Surreptitious.....
As with SR5 to GTS swaps... the 4AG engine has the down, or headpipe coming down on the driverside. The SR5 cars have the slave mount on the driverside. This always causes a problem when running a 4AG exhaust.

Sometimes, fabrication takes place on the phone... instead of the car.

I called Stuart Trotter over @ Techna-Fit. I asked him if it would be possible to run a SS reinforced line the whole distance from the Clutch master cylinder to the clutch slave. This would allow me to remove the hardline, remove the hardline mount, and route the clutch(and route the exhaust) where I want it. Steve agreed this would work, even if the line were a few feet long, there won't be any more pressure loss then would be in a conventional rubber line connected to a hard line.

Another issue solved - now I need to get my line ends, and length to Stuart so he can make me a line

Dan -

08-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Surreptitious.....
This past week has had no work... tough working in an unventilated garage when the temps are at, or over 100F!!! Tough working in ANY garage when it is hovering around 100F.

Well, the remainder of the cooling system needs to be as well engineered as what has been done so far. I did some basic shaping of some aluminum plywood edging (how did wood get back into this project???)
I'll be using it to mount the cooler to the frame of the car. It is 3 sided box, or square, I've cut it to shape, and in the next week or so Jesse will weld it all together for me.

With the mount moving ahead, I felt it time to route the cooler lines. Using one 90 and one 45, I can get the lines to neatly merge together as they get routed under the battery

btw... this would be SOOOOOO MUCH harder to accomplish if this engine were equipped with A/C and P/S

The AE71 has a pair of oval holes cut in the radiator support, PERFECT for cooler lines.....(far right) I'll make a grommet to fit

The feed line - top of adapter with brass fitting to the far fitting on the cooler - is finished. I purchased 2 45 and 2 90 fittings, I'll have to purchase another 90 and then I'll finish the other hose assembly

One additional photo...

she is beginning to look more like a car... and less like a project Big Grin

Dan -

08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Surreptitious.....
Quote:

The AE71 has a pair of oval holes cut in the radiator support, PERFECT for cooler lines.....(far right) I'll make a grommet to fit

and so I shall.........

I was in the garage looking for the 1/8" vacuum line to make the grommet, I had recently bought 4 feet, when I was picking through a box and I found an old frame mount sway bar bushing....

Hmm, that looks like it might fit, split it down the middle and shave some of the rubber away with a razor......

It looks like a factory installed item

Before on top...

After below

Dan -

08-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Surreptitious.....
Nice! Thumbs up!
You can't see it is not factory stock from a distance! Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop: