Steering U-joint welded - options? Rear axle ?
12-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post. Been watching these boards for prolly 6 months now. Finally got an 86 sr5 with the 3tc motor swap, dual Weber down drafts, about 3 months ago.

My problem is I sprung a leak at my exhaust manifold gasket, between the headers and block. So i figured i should start with changing the gasket, making sure the metal isn't bent there, etc... But my headers were welded on around my steering column, making it impossible to slide them out enough to get the gasket in or out. So I got my column completely disconnected except where it connects to the u-joint. Instead of having the 2 bolts attaching it, its been welded... I don't know yet whether its a manual or ps rack yet. I know I don't have ps and I havent had fluid running out yet, so we'll see. But wtf am I supposed to do about that without a torch? I'm low on money so If i could drill a few holes through the welded part, then hammer it a little, would that work? If possible I'd like to salvage the U joint. Sand it clean, then get some screws for it. Is their any way to get that thing out of there without me spending extra money to get someone to torch it out?
Thanks Banging head

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Steering U-joint welded - o...ear axle ?]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I got a guy coming to fix this ^^^^ thats gonna cut my u joint off for like 10 bucks. Prolly will have to replace it, we'll see... While waiting I was checking the rear end and decided to check the LSD that was said to come with the car... Doesn't have lsd apparently, but I have the rear disk breaks. From what I've searched, its hard to actually tell what you got unless you can tell by looking, very suddle differences. I tried searching the disc brake pad number on the side and didn't have any luck. Do you guys know? If I know what kind of rear end i got, i'll start searching for an lsd that will fit it

[URL=http://img841.imageshack.us/i/rearaxle.jpg/][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Steering U-joint welded - o...ear axle ?]

Find all posts by this user
12-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Hey,
just cut the welding with an angle grinder and that should be it.

Your rear axle looks pretty standart to me. Just a normal AE86 rear disc axle.

Whats stamped on the tag on your firewall behind "trans/axle"?

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
12-20-2011, 02:33 AM
its AE86, the SR5. Its had a swap of some sort, maybe from the gts. Someone I guess took the lsd out :3
12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
ggrahl Wrote:... I guess took the lsd out

What makes you think so? Wheels turn opposite? Looking through the filler?
It may be just worn out.

So what!
12-21-2011, 03:42 AM
I turned the right wheel forward and the left wheel turned backwards... If its worn out would it still turn reverse like that?
12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
the non lsd dif must turn like that when is on the air .turn the left forward the right must turn backwards .if you dont have noise the diff is ok .when is noisy you got a problem.
as for the axle the sr5 have only drums and non lsd .
so your axle is from sr5 non lsd and someone put the discs on .
if you check the bolds that hold the diff in the axle are 8 and in the lsd axle are 10 . also the bearings are biger in the lsd axle .
if you need lsd on your car try to find complete axle not just the lsd .

1976 TA28 CELICA
1978 PUBLICA PICKUP
1980 4WD PICKUP
1983 AE86 LEVIN
2007 AYGO
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
the lsd http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_1984_TO..._4101.html
and the non lsd http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_1984_TO..._4101.html

1976 TA28 CELICA
1978 PUBLICA PICKUP
1980 4WD PICKUP
1983 AE86 LEVIN
2007 AYGO
12-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Wow. Thanks man, super helpful. Is the axle as strong as the others with LSD in em? cuz I was debating just welding my diff. I've already looked into the pros and cons, especially if you suggest replacing the axle anyway.
12-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Instead of starting a new topic, I'll attach it here, its related. I ordred hand brake cables, cuz the ones I had wern't even attached and where rusted, but I ordered them for the SR5. If I have gts disk with a SR5 axle. I would still need to order new GTS cables correct? And the cable that attaches to the handbrake and runs down to split off is universal?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 16,932 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 682 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
Thumbs Up ITB filter options mister86 1 2,986 12-06-2020 10:44 AM
Last Post: Bean
  AE86 starter options max_ae86 12 27,683 07-28-2019 08:17 PM
Last Post: harkes
  AE86 rear suspension options 2018 Alex 9 9,429 01-24-2018 02:25 PM