Solex and mikuni question
05-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Carbs cheaper? Not really I think.. 20V ITBs and megasquirt will run you about the same price as a set of Weber 40s inc the fuel pressure regulator. Both need an adapter and both need to be setup properly.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
05-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Im not sure NoHachi, you can buy carbs for less than 100 eur (plenty of dellortos and webbers around here) then you just need some ingeniuety/manufacturing to make everything work together (and a FPR). But cost wise it is cheaper i think.. I've never seen 20v ITB's go for much less than 300-400 eur here in europe.. wheres in japan you can get a low mileage blacktop engine with ECU&loom for the same price.. Confused
05-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Carbs can be cheaper - depends of local availability and prices.
But they are harder to set-up compared to EFI with programmable ECU.
Thinking for cost of parts+labour - who knows, somewhere they can be more expensive solution.
But they have one "strange" advantage.
http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/carb_vs_fi.pdf
As you can see - carburators deliver more middle range torque and less peak one than ITB. Maybe the reason is venturi system - I don't know exactly Evil
PS: Don't forget also that you can use even damaged carburator bodies as throttle bodies - 4AGE have injector bosses in the head casting instead in the inlet manifold. Intake adapter + TPS modification - and you can get ITB EFI for cheap (nobody wants old clogged carburators with missing parts etc, right ?).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2007, 12:59 PM
hm.. never thought about it that way Big Grin what kind of tps modification would be needed? A difrent tps or a modded oem unit? ITB solution just becomes a whole lot cheaper that way.. Smile
05-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Guys make the point for faz.

Faz yes it can be a power increase but not a cheap one. So it might be better to use difrent ways to create power. Camshafts are mostly the best ways. Also the stock intake is good for about 150 hp so you got a long way to go.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
05-26-2007, 02:42 PM
It depends on how cheap you can source the parts and how good you are at manufacturing your own parts.. if you have a friend who can cut som flages and some tubes for cheap money and weld everything together.. drill a couple of holes, buy used carbs for cheap and a carb rebuild kit (not expensive).. with a little head polishing near the seats you can get away with 150 hp. I think we already estabilished that.. you get a very useful car to get around in, with plenty of torque..

But if you are not the do-everything yourself type and prefer bolt-on / plug and play parts.. then you have to pay, no doubt..

Going all out with hi lift cams, sprockets, raising compression serious headwork.. i dunno it doesnt make sense to me when a low mileage blacktop engine is availible for 400 eur in japan which is less than a good set of cams. If i would need 170 hp, super response, superbalanced engine with stock reliability i would undoubtedly go for serious lengths to get such an engine here. And in the US you dont need to import such an engine.. they are already there..

but that makes the hachi a whole other car. The concept of the hachi was to make a cheap reliable fun car with a great balance (power to chasiss weight/rigidity) to make it a fine toy to learn driving in. 140-150 hp is all you need with good torque-y engine. In that sense the carbs are perfect if you dont mind a litlle less than perfect fuel efficiency.. if you dont like it oldschool, you go for itb efi..
05-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Apolan Wrote:hm.. never thought about it that way Big Grin what kind of tps modification would be needed? A difrent tps or a modded oem unit? ITB solution just becomes a whole lot cheaper that way.. Smile

Carburators just have no TPS. You must attach it to the shaft - fabricate flange etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2007, 10:43 PM
i meant the oem unit from EFI 4age? Or does have to be some special ITB version.. Or are all TPS's the same and only need to be calibrated to the range?
05-27-2007, 09:15 AM
150hp with carbs and minor porting? Never gonna happen. Anything over a 10hp increase means CAMS.

Apolan Wrote:i meant the oem unit from EFI 4age? Or does have to be some special ITB version.. Or are all TPS's the same and only need to be calibrated to the range?

Depends on the ECU you are using. Most aftermarket ECU's are designed to work with any kind of potentiometer and can be calibrated. You just have to make a small extension to the throttle shaft to fit into the potentiometer of choice and a bracket to hold it in place.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-27-2007, 10:37 AM
NoHachi Wrote:150hp with carbs and minor porting? Never gonna happen. Anything over a 10hp increase means CAMS.

He already has a hi-comp ae92 engine.. i dont think 140-150 hp with stock cams is far fetched. Dumb question

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mikuni carb help just wont balance megabob 3 4,795 01-01-2013 10:32 PM
Last Post: allencr
  max brake disc thickness ae86 caliper+heel and toe question ditn 26 24,629 10-02-2012 05:00 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Urgent Levin hood question... measurements and weight Okami 8 13,162 03-15-2011 11:36 PM
Last Post: Gtsi-R
  4age Smallport o2 sensor and knock sensor question hachirokuGTV 4 10,012 02-02-2011 09:50 AM
Last Post: hachirokuGTV
  Weber ram pipe on mikuni carb megabob 2 4,142 12-05-2010 03:43 PM
Last Post: Project D