Rear axle problem....
09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Rear axle problem....
The rear axle of my 86 seems to be deslocated to the right... I can see it just by looking at it from the back of the car.

The right wheel is about 1cm off the body, and the left wheel is about 1cm in...

If it was to the other side I guess the problem would be the panhard rod (the car is way below the standard height), but that's not the case.

The car was never involved in any acident (as far as I know! and the mechanic said that the chassis was very "healthy", so...)

Does anyone already had the same problem as me? Dumb question

86'LEVIN Track Project
Find all posts by this user
09-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Rear axle problem....
Left to right alignment is only handled by the Panhard..so that is the only place where you can find an answer. Its weird though.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Rear axle problem....
Do you have you car lowered, right?

Do you have an adjustable panhard rod? If not, you need one because when you lower the car you have to reduce the panhard rod length, othwerwise the rear axle will be moved to the right.

It's the Pitagora's Triangle Theorem applied to vehicle dynamics...

Keeping the AE86 alive!
09-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Rear axle problem....
Rasteirinho Wrote:Do you have you car lowered, right?

Do you have an adjustable panhard rod? If not, you need one because when you lower the car you have to reduce the panhard rod length, othwerwise the rear axle will be moved to the right.

It's the Pitagora's Triangle Theorem applied to vehicle dynamics...

Yes, you're right. But shouldn't the axle move to the left?

I had the same discussion with apardal and he also thinks the same...

anyway, the panhard rod was already an item in my next shoping list, but I wasn't very convinced that the panhard alone would solve my problem.

BTW, what rod do you recomend? Cusco, Megan... where can I buy it within the EU at a good price? (I had enough of that customs taxes bullsh**... Tongue )

86'LEVIN Track Project
09-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Rear axle problem....
Well, theroretically the axle should go to the left... since the panhard it's fixed to the right side of the chassis...

Are the trailling arms not bended?

Mine panhard rod is from Cusco and i have bought it in ebay...

Keeping the AE86 alive!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 17,009 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 705 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Rear axle options Dino86 13 11,535 01-08-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,546 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu
  wider rear axle,track width,suspension questions ditn 6 7,636 10-18-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: fantapants