ITBs on 4age 16v - suggestions??
10-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Guys,

for those of you out there that are familiar with ITBs on the 16v engine perhaps u could shed some lite on this situation.

I have a set of AE101 ITBs on my Fatport 4age 16v using stock ECU. I have fitted a Apexi SAFC and an adjustable fuel pressure regumulator to try and sort out fuelling issues upon tuning. from talking with Ben from Angelworks and Paz (on Driftworks and i think hes here somewhere too Wave ) i heard the car runs very rich and can flood the cylinders very easily.

i had the car started up and to be frank it runs crap. so bad in fact i wudnt even say it runs!!!! i can get it to start and it sounds like its on 3 cylinders and spits back through the itbs when conks out.....like a timing issue?? is it a timing issue?? with the plenum gone should the inlet and exhaust cams be advanced/retarded to compensate the direct air inlet?? all injectors and lug leads are 100% so its a head scrather? the mix is obviously a million miles out so i need to adjust something anyway....just not sure where to start!

i know i wont get it 100% but i just need it to be able to start and run at least so i can start it up at the tuners rolling road.

any help at all will be great.

Thanks,
Ian. :wink:

At last Itsuki is gone.....:o)

Who the hell is Itekani??

lol...Wataru! ????
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Banging head Not handy!

You could go for the lowest possible fuel setting creating a minimum of fire possibility! If you check your ignirion set on 10 degree before tops.

With a minimum fuel mix you will have at least that the engine is able to occupy the cylinders with fuel but not flood them Thumbs up!

If you crank it it should start within 3 turns!

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
10-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Hmmmm yes.....are you saying mechanically by the FPR or electronically by the Apexi??

I cud turn the fuel cycle down to min so as u say will supply gas but not flood the chambers.... :wink:

its all jiggery pokery i guess and the air/fuel mix is miles out. since im not using the cold start injector and then i guess the ecu is over compensating somehow....if i cud even get it up to standard temp to see what its like then???

still wondering over the Cam timing now though tbh as i think they need to be adjusted....will start with the fuel cycle firstly.... Thumbs up!

Thanks.

lol...Wataru! ????
10-23-2005, 12:19 PM
bump to follow the post Wink

Michael IPHIGENIE
http://www.zenky-racing.com
zenkyracing [AT] gmail.com (msn / email)

Member of Pandaz Ridaz Crew
10-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks!! Wave

i have a few other things to check: got some info from another dude on another site so looks like i cud be a busy body!!

"The first step is to get a smooth idle.

you need to get a book and make sure the 20V TPS has the same resistance as the stock TPS if you don't the ECU is not getting the right info

also need to make sure that the TPS is going in the same direction as the stock TPS from high resistance to low resistance or from low resistance to high

the MAP sensor is a Manifold Absolute pressure sensor so you can take from that its hooked to the manifold past the throttle plates.
If all four runners are together that would be best since you would have less pressure fluctuations.

next you want to use the test connector to disable the ECU from changing the timing. just one less thing to worry about at this starting point

so now with the Throttle plates closed you might expect the thing to run rich since no air is being bypassed with an air control valve or Aux air valve

the way to get around that is to have the throttle plates cracked open just a little but don't do the throttle plate thing right away
do the other stuff first and see where your at

you will also need to synch the TB's just like a set of sidedrafts
you would want to set them up to read the highest reading with one of those carb synch tools

I would save the Cam tuning for later (what cams are you using)?

just a few things to start you off

Oh and you would want to lower your fuel pressure you can always raise it back up later.

Davegt27"

GREAT!! Time to get cracking with a number of different things!! where to begin since i downloaded teh APEXI SAFC instruction manual and by the looks of the 50 pages u may need a PhD in electronics even to understand the instructions!!!

i luv cars.... Undecided

lol...Wataru! ????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cusco Powerball Headers on a NA 4AGE 16V? JDMitch 11 19,096 05-01-2021 10:09 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  4AGE 16V engine overheat when at high speed chenfon 32 18,492 12-31-2020 06:39 AM
Last Post: chenfon
  4age 16v running roughly - diagnostics shows unknown code Ryo 8 6,069 11-09-2020 10:51 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP mister86 12 9,697 02-10-2020 06:39 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  4age 16v oem ecu rev limiter research ditn 18 26,158 06-22-2015 08:02 AM
Last Post: ditn