Porting an oil pump
12-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Porting an oil pump
The "A" oil pump, this one is Toyota's.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Porting an oil pump]

I've ported a new oil pump for a friends build. The above photo shows the 3 main areas to be ported - each is slightly different.

A - The oil pump inlet hole... drilled/machined from the bottom up, the inside edge is left sharp, without any radius, and close to 2 walls allowing an eddy, or low pressure point

I've put a minimal radius on the entire opening, and I worked to blend the opening minimizing pressure drop in the corner.

B - Is the outlet from the pump gears to the oil galleys. This is the area of highest pressure. If you look at the exploded view you can see the overall shape of the chamber narrows as it leads to the drilled passage.

The floor, and both walls were given ample blending to minimize agitation and cavitation, the remaining area got an ample radius.

C - the oil pump outlet has gotten some work on the inside radius, also the "dirty" residual has been cleaned away.

*IDEALLY*... if you have the time and capability... the end plug @ "C" is removed, a round piece of stock with a 45 degree angle is fitted (attached to the plug, or the machined walls of the passage) and this piece of round stock is fitted to create the outer radius of the turn @ "C".

I used a structured tungsten ball - be extraordinarily careful around the machined surfaces that the pump gears fit... DO NOT NICK ANY!

clean it thoroughly when porting is finished. Finally, apply assembly lube to all the moving parts - this last step protects the pump for the first dry start up.... and should be done to all new pumps regardless of if they get ported or not

Hurray!

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v BT - which oil pump? Mylesmck 4 2,022 06-21-2022 04:51 PM
Last Post: pack
  Fuel pump issue DJexor 11 3,761 04-29-2022 05:45 AM
Last Post: Bean
  fuel line hose from the pump Wikizz 4 5,430 10-16-2017 07:11 PM
Last Post: jdm86gtz
  4age smallport oil pump in bigport engine? ditn 2 7,620 12-06-2014 08:10 PM
Last Post: ditn