Please translate this :)
11-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Früher oder später wird es jeden Coupé-Fahrer treffen: das Getriebe hakelt, der fünfte Gang rauscht, u.s.w. . Tja, das ist eine Krankheit bei den AE86. Diese Getriebe erfordern sauberes Schalten um sie einigermaßen in Schuß zu halten. Leider wurden viele Coupés von Möchtegern-Schumis dermaßen runtergeritten, daß das Zahnwerk sehr gelitten hat. Um den Schaden etwas zu verringern tauscht man das Getriebeöl (nach einer gründlichen Spülung) gegen ATF (Öl für Automaticgetriebe) aus. Das Schalten geht , besonders im Winter, wieder leichter von der Hand und auch die merkwürdigen Gesänge aus dem Getriebetunnel werden leiser. Absolut nutzlos sind dubiose Zusätze, die man für teures Geld erwerben kann.

Altavista babelfish translation is...
Sooner or later it will meet each Coupé driver: the transmission hooking ELT, which rushes fifth course, etc.. Tja, that is an illness with the AE86. These transmissions require clean switching around it to some extent in shot to hold. Unfortunately many Coupés of Moechtegern Schumis were so down-ridden that the tooth work suffered very much. Around the damage something to reduce one exchanges the transmission oil (after a thorough flushing) against ATF (oil for automatic transmissions). Switching goes, particularly in the winter, again more easily from the hand and also the strange singing from the transmission tunnel becomes quieter. Dubious additives, which one can acquire for expensive money, are absolutely useless.

So if i'm correct we should use automatic transmision fluid in gearboxes?

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2004, 11:45 AM
You are right Smile

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Please translate this :)]
11-18-2004, 11:55 AM
If I swap in ATF oil, does that mean I no longer have to shift gears?!?! LOLSmile

Wonder if this is indeed better for our hachis, sounds strange.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
11-18-2004, 12:50 PM
you are right zax! the guy who has writen this says that. ... mainly to get an older singing gearbox quiet.

i had an singing gearbox too ... but i prefere to change the 2 bearings of the input shaft and the exit-bearing (the last in front of drive shaft). this should work fine. it is also handy to open the box because you can get out all the wear from synchros and gears easy (and there is a lot of!). i do not think its a good solution to flush the box with oil ... this will do nothing exept of wasting oil.
i was also lucky to break the 5th gear by pulling it off so i have to by a new one. should be a good precaution (the article says 5th gear is an usual problem)

this 3 bearings and the 5th gear cost about 350 eur ... and i will have a good sleep.

if you just change the oil you will hear it again when the oil is hot i guess.
11-18-2004, 01:20 PM
mux213 Wrote:If I swap in ATF oil, does that mean I no longer have to shift gears?!?! LOLSmile

ATF is wonderful stuff.

Sometimes they use it in the engine too!
Let the old oil out, ATF in to it, let it run @ idle for a while, let ATF out and new good oil in.

Perfectly clean then!

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
The Doctor Wrote:
mux213 Wrote:If I swap in ATF oil, does that mean I no longer have to shift gears?!?! LOLSmile

ATF is wonderful stuff.

Sometimes they use it in the engine too!
Let the old oil out, ATF in to it, let it run @ idle for a while, let ATF out and new good oil in.

Perfectly clean then!

So you say that i should use ATF oil only for flushing, and not as a replacement for standard gearbox oil?

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I have been running ATF in my gearbox for half a year now. Its just oil, nothing special. The viscosity still falls within the specifications from the manufacturer, just more towards the bottom end of the spectrum where it is diffifult to find ordinary gear box oil.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-18-2004, 01:47 PM
ZaX Wrote:So you say that i should use ATF oil only for flushing, and not as a replacement for standard gearbox oil?

i don't know about the gearbox (but as NoHachi says, it'll be no problem, i think).

I just meant the engine oil

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
11-18-2004, 02:15 PM
hohachi, what is the viscosity of the ATF ??

i think there may be a differenze in the additives. similar to engine oil for wet clutches on motobikes .. something for the break stuff in the auto-box. but i am not shure if there is any advantage in the lubrication or viscosity....

i would say its bether to change the worn out things than fixing it with another oil.

i know about the "trick" to fill some gearbox oil into the engine. but there you get the advantage of having a higher 80W-90 viscosity than normal 15W-40 so its clear why an old engine runs smoth with it.
11-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah, I just remembered, there was something about not putting GL-5 oil into hachi gearboxes because it has sulphur additives which are harmfull to the copper synchro's..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!