Noob to the forum SR5 4AC coolant leak Need help
11-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Well, I recently traded my 1986 CRX DX for a 1986 Corolla SR5... the ae86 has more problems (this being one of them) but I am absolutly in love with this car... the handling... is unspeakable. The only thing I can even begin to compare it to is the miata and the rx-7. But not only does it handling leave me smiling after a nice apex... but the styling is beautiful (I have a hachi with the initial d paint job) <3 pop up lights.. <3 white. Ok enough about why I <3 my ae86 lol......

Problem with the car: Leaking coolant from the front of the engine.
The old waterpump had bondo over the "weap hole" (It's there for when the pump goes bad I beleive)... then bondo on the bottom of the pump itself. I changed the pump out two weeks ago... and the day after i changed it.. it had a few minor leaks around the pump..tightened the bolts no prob. I went to change thermostat also but it didnt have one and the parts people gave me the wrong one.... (Figures). That night the car began to overheat, I found a by-pass hose from where the heater core would be messed up which i easily fixed... got back to my friends house (2 miles away) find more water leaking.... the bottom of the pump, I notice a bolt missing (Could have been from my carelessness..... I am never installing another thing with a seal without proper lube on the bolt and a torque wrench...) I noticed the water wasnt leaking from the bottom yet from the top. The whole housing that the pump is mounted to which goes onto the block was leaking some and I think theres a bolt broken or two which I didnt know about. Anyone in the Houston, Texas area willing to help me out lol. Or a shop manual pic of the waterpump removal/install w/ torque specs would be a great help.
Find all posts by this user
11-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Take off the entire waterpump assembly... Clean all mating surfaces (including the one on the engine.. Put some fresh seals in it, use new gaskets and maybe even some RTV sealant if you have your doubts.
Any 90's corolla 4afe thermostat will fit if I'm not mistaken..
Use new bolts if your not sure and a small bit of locktite if your worried about bolts shaking loose.
Just do the job more thoroughly, it's the only way to be sure that everything is mounted correctly.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Oh yes and before you ask I'll post pictures of my new love.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Noob to the forum SR5 4AC c... Need help]

<3 this pic lol. (below)

11-19-2005, 01:05 PM
You did a sleepy eyes conversion? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Welcome! Wave
Lovely trueno!

11-19-2005, 07:52 PM
No I did not do a sleepy eye conversion... thats pic from the previous owner, he manually put the lights like that.

I removed the front peice of the engine that some people on here call the second part of the waterpump I think.. Its directly behind the waterpump w/ the metal tube that feeds the heater core. I looked around and I could not find any broken bolts.. my guess now is I was tooo panic-ie that night and thought the bolts were broken in there when actually it wasnt in the correct place for the bolt to go threw (Hopefully thats the problem) and it just needs new gaskets.

ahh I've gotta go pay off this 1988 honda civic sedan I bought last week (450 left) that I got for a daily beater. It would be nice if I found a altinator this week... I'm tired of charging the battery at night and carrying extras.... all this civic has to do now is get me by till I can get my ae86 up and running to drive around fix some problems. Then I will altnernate the ae86 while changing t-belt/pump on the civic so I can then drive it while I build my new ae86 engine.

Edit: I want windsheild wipers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help identifying this! takumi_mt 4 301 04-05-2024 09:17 AM
Last Post: takumi_mt
  TRD ECU need help ps13michi 5 2,806 02-18-2022 10:42 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  Need some help DJexor 4 4,862 03-13-2018 05:37 PM
Last Post: pack
  JDM trueno not starting. need help! kazi 8 7,856 03-12-2017 05:05 PM
Last Post: kazi