Nissan 200sx
07-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Nissan 200sx
I`m gonna sell my mr2 aw11 because i want to broaden my experience with cars.This time i`m gonna go for a turbocharged FR machine and i think a 200sx s13 is quite capable to satisfy my needs.

It has a 1.8 16 turbo engine which should make it quite fast.I think the weight of 1190 kilo`s is acceptable.

Has anyone here driven a S13 before?Is it fast?is it reliable for everyday use?does it have model specific problems (engine,turbo brakes)?How is road handling?How is the fuel economy?Is it easy to tune?

If anyone has info or a link to a nice S13 webpage i could prepare myself when i go look for one.

Thanks Smile

Real men race downhill
Find all posts by this user
07-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Nissan 200sx
Hey Wouter,

Zax has two so he should be able to give some info. Also go to http://www.sxoc.nl/ for the dutch owners club (and forum).

These days it is hard to find one that is in good condition. The engines are very high quality and are very strong but just like hachi's the rust bug has set into many of these cars. Around the rear spoiler area, wheel arches, underside, etc. they tend to be real crispy. Expect to pay 3-4k for a good one.

Only known engine problems are on early models where the oil lines to the turbo where to restrictive causing more wear on the turbo or even oil starvations with a broken turbo as a result with regular enthousiastic driving. Easy to fix if you know what you are doing.

You do need to keep in mind that on hi mileage cars, the turbo will have to be replaced at some point as these do not last for ever. I have heard people run over 300.000 km with an engine only having changed the turbo once or twice and no other hi-cost maintenance on the engine so the block it self is solid.

I've driven a couple, they are really cool cars. Easy to drive, easy to handle, and although I wasn't allowed to try from the owners, easy to driftSmile

When you are looking around for cars, may I suggest trying out a RX7 FC Turbo (build in 86-91, second model (S5) with the round tail lights is the best buy). Around the same price as an S13, and a little more maintenance unhappy engine wise (you need to know what you are doing if you dont want to end up rebuilding the engine every 100k), but so much more fun especially after you change the rear passive steering bushing to make the tail way more predictable.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
07-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Nissan 200sx
Hi,

I have had an S13, and know a little about the CA18DET engine thats in it. The car is ok, there are lots of after market parts to make it go and handle better. As Mux says there is not a lot to go wrong, change the oil every 4000 miles, fit a turbo timer to cool the turbo down after driving it and thats about it.

The turbo oil feed is a weak point, change it for a braided one, also the big ends tend to be weak, but this is totally down to neglect, if you put good oil in it and drive it properly (ie warm it up before thrashing it) you will be fine.

Some are fitted with a VLSD which is ok, but will die very quickly if you drift it hard,

Get one and drop an SR20DET in it Smile

http://www.sxoc.com is another place to look

still no 86
07-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Nissan 200sx
the rx-7 has also been on my mind but is has some downsides the s13 hasn`t.
-There aren`t many rx-7 turbo`s around.and if they are they cost quite a lot of money.
-I think the fuel consumption is pretty high
-I also think the rotary engine is very maintanance sensitive.The engine doesn`t last long if you overheat it or use the wrong kind of oil
-1300 kg is not good for the roadtax in the Netherlands

on the other side.
-Rotary engines are cool
-The rx-7 is exclusive and looks cool

Real men race downhill
07-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Nissan 200sx
Wouter,

I think you hit all the nails on the head there. Good summery of downsides of the RX7....

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
07-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Nissan 200sx
Go to http://www.sxoc.co.uk
Search:
1. big ends, they tend to die to offten
2. "breather pipe" problem with crank case ventilation
3. "oil fed" pipe as described by Mux
4. rear subframe bushings, car feels "woobly" because of this
5. replace turbo with T28
6. they tend to rust above the muffler (like most of the cars)
7. VLSD is peace of shit. If you want to drift you MUST replace it with proper mech diff.
8. you can read most of the CA18DET vs SR20DET shit, but in the end they are the same imho. I prefer revvy nature of CA18DET over toqrue SR20DET

You can check my topic on tuning my s13 here
http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=160061

Since I own ae86 and s13, and have driven most of the rwd cars I can tell you that nothing beats mid tuned AE86. My AE86 with PU bushings, coilovers and good tires is best thing i've driven.
If you can, get the ae86 and tune it. You need a lot of money to bring the S13 to the AE86 levels.

Best regards
ZaX

edit: fuel consuption? hehe, when i drift 4a-ge drinks around 30l/100km on track, ca18det? god knows.

oh, one more thing. If you buy the turbo car, then " Welcome to the turbo money hole!"

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Nissan 200sx
Thanks zax and mux for the links and info.

I`m not gonna modify this car because is has to be kept reliable and i`m probably driving this car for a year or maybe 2.And money you invest in these kind of cars most of the time don`t raise the value of a car.

Well maybe a little more boost,a dumpvalve a saab intercooler and that`s it.But most of all it has to be reliable.For fiddling and fooling around i still have an ae86 in the garage and a second car means i can finish the 86 without stress.

I think if I don`t have to work oncoming saturday I`m gonna look for a dealer nearby which has one for sale so i can make a test drive and see if i like it.

Nice S13 project by the way Zax!

Real men race downhill
09-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Nissan 200sx
The problem between choosing these models is over.My brother bought a fc turbo II last week so i`m gonna get a 200sx after my aw11 has mot and is sold.

We bought the rx-7 previous week.It is a s4 model with a s5 engine (200 hp).Man this car is COOL!The inside is supersporty,nice seats,everything red and a big tacho (rpm-meter) in the middle.Did you knew the price of this car was new 33.000 euro`s Huh ?

Too bad the visco fan is broken,ordered another one allready but we were too late because when we stood in front of a stoplight the temp meter was at 1/2 and engine coolant was cooking.Man that sucked.So when we were home we took of the fan and jammed the clutch so we could drive.And ofcourse we filled the car up with coolant.

There was no white smoke coming out of the exhaust so i assume there is no engine damage.

I also drove in the car and it drives really well.You can enter corners so easy,I felt very confident in this car.I think the max corner speed is very high too.

The engine sounds a bit unusual but very nice indeed.I don`t think the boost is very high in this car is it?Below 3500 rpm there is not much action but that is where the turbo is starting to spin.From 4000 rpm and on,it goes man!All the way to the BEEEEEEP!

huh...whats that man!?!Instead of a shift light this car has a shift BEEP.Sounds very old school.But i like it.

I hope i can borrow it someday and test it some more.The fan should be in next monday.

Real men race downhill
09-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Nissan 200sx
I am trying to find that model to buy it here in Croatia, it is really hard to fid it, there only couple of them here and i cant import old cars.
After buying rx-8 i fell in love with rotary engine.

I hope i find one in a year or so, i will make major rebuild and use it as a daily drive Smile Smile

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Nissan 200sx]RX-8[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Nissan 200sx] -- AE86 --
09-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Nissan 200sx
Nice car!
My cousin had one. It's pretty fast and drives good.
It's not really economic. I thought it drove 1l/8km when lucky.
Big ends is one of the biggest problems. 150.000 km and it will make crappy noises Tongue

Already know http://www.sxoc.nl? It's a dutch 200sx forum.

forgot something..

about the bodywork. When it has the original wing on the back there could be a lot of rust underneath the wing! So take a good look at it.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Nissan 200sx]
5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nissan ca18i mr monster 1 3,432 02-28-2006 05:38 AM
Last Post: mr monster
  Why zax should sell his nissan:) nmwisima 19 16,921 09-05-2005 10:08 AM
Last Post: Blueneon