New guy in the USA lots of pics :)
11-13-2005, 09:38 AM
XLarge Wrote:Welcome !

Your story sounds just like mime. I have a Trueno hatchback, too and I bought it for 400 € (nearly 400 USD) from a junkyard, too. It´s a SR5 modded with a 4A-GE. A US-soldier left it in Germany when he moved back to the states. After some years on the junkjard I rescued the hachi and now it waits to get rebuildt.

Regards, Eric

SR5 with a 4a-ge? Is that an option in Europe, or is it a swap?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2005, 01:04 PM
a swap

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Evil3lf Wrote:
XLarge Wrote:Welcome !

Your story sounds just like mime. I have a Trueno hatchback, too and I bought it for 400 € (nearly 400 USD) from a junkyard, too. It´s a SR5 modded with a 4A-GE. A US-soldier left it in Germany when he moved back to the states. After some years on the junkjard I rescued the hachi and now it waits to get rebuildt.

Regards, Eric

SR5 with a 4a-ge? Is that an option in Europe, or is it a swap?
His SR5 was imported into Germany by a US soldier and a SR5 doesn't have a 4AG, so it has to be a swap. Wink

BTW: The SR5 was never sold in Europe as a SR5 and we don't have a GTS either. European cars were sold as GT, even the rare ones with a 4AC in them.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - New guy in the USA lots of pics :)]
11-13-2005, 02:22 PM
It´s a swap, an unfinished one. The engine and the rearaxle with the discbrakes are in but the engine is not connected to the car. The dashboard was completly removed to chance the loom and was never put back in. BTW, the loom was never finshed too when I found the car on the junkyard.

Regards, Eric

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - New guy in the USA lots of pics :)][Image: AEU86 AE86 - New guy in the USA lots of pics :)][Image: AEU86 AE86 - New guy in the USA lots of pics :)][Image: AEU86 AE86 - New guy in the USA lots of pics :)]
Escaped from hell...
11-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Smallport:
About the harnesses:
FIA states 10 degrees downward angle as the highest recommended, but up to 40 degrees is allowed.
The point of the seatbelt is to keep you in the seat so you don't get thrown around in the car if in a crash.
The point of a 4+ point harness is to keep you in your seat when driving hard and if in a crash.
If you were to have a serious accident in the current configuration, depending on what happens in the crash, there is a chance that the mounting holes of the straps get moved around, tightening the straps, breaking the back of the seat (because it's not designed for this), and compressing your spine (which is a very very bad thing since that is where your spinal cord is).
You want some kind of mounting bar at approximately the same height as your shoulders, or mounted pretty far back so the slope isn't so bad.
You can look at pictures of rally cars and see how they've done it to get some ideas. Basically, it has to pull back, not down.
You DON'T want to install a cage since you don't drive with a helmet on the road and if you bump your head on the cage bars without a helmet it'll hurt like hell and possibly send you to the hospital.

Some people mount the harnesses to the seat... I don't think it's very nice to go flying out of a trashed car strapped in a seat...

banpei Wrote:the automotive subforum of ID Forums and read the ae86 topics in there. Tongue
Oh My Gawd... :roll:
Why do the admin have to accept my registration...? Annoying.

Peugeot 206 1.6 XT - 09/2003
Toyota Corolla GT Coupé - 09/1984
Yonzie - 09/1980
11-13-2005, 07:25 PM
I have the harness mounted to the rear seat belt area, I'm looking at some recaros out of a jetta today so I dont think that will be a problem Smile. Thank you guys for the complements, haha yeah I pulled the murry emblem off my dads lawnmower. Corollas arent that rare, I mean driving around you ssee them everywhere. Theres even a shop local to me that specializes in AE86s called AZN. They do sr5 to gts swaps and sell the cars for around 3-4k. They made a $20,000 dollar build up, ill try to find pictures of that tonight. Other than that people just are hogging the corollas for a very high price, my brothers friend who owned this car http://atomicinternet.homeip.net/xtra/myrone/tyler/ bought it for 6k, blew the headgasket and the diff was chattering and sold it for 8k and bought a nice 3nd gen (FD) rx7. Prices are ridiculous, we sold our sr5s really high but people wanted them and paid for them.
11-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Yonzie Wrote:
banpei Wrote:the automotive subforum of ID Forums and read the ae86 topics in there. Tongue
Oh My Gawd... :roll:
Why do the admin have to accept my registration...? Annoying.
They want to be sure you're motivated enough to wait for their approval. In this case they skim the fat from the milk. Only they keep the fat and get rid of the milk this way... (or is it the other way around? Confused ) Tongue

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - New guy in the USA lots of pics :)]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new guy here. The Azn 6 5,690 06-03-2018 06:29 PM
Last Post: Hama86
  86 coupe in Texas, USA fujiwaratofu 2 4,525 11-11-2013 07:12 PM
Last Post: zenki
  Hi, new member from WA State USA nickwj 4 5,522 01-08-2013 10:41 PM
Last Post: nickwj
  New guys from USA, south florida! AE86driftproject 2 4,172 11-08-2012 10:31 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Another new guy dropping in. NC, USA Tig 8 8,335 11-04-2012 10:19 PM
Last Post: Tig