My hachi is using oil! Smokin!!!!!!!
10-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone, my corolla is using a fair bit of oil when I rally her and smells when the windows are rolled down! Possibly smellng rich but not sure!
Anyone any idea what the main reason the 4age smokes when getting old? Piston rings, pistons, valve stem oil seals etc? Ideally I would like to do the minimum to stop or reduce the oil consumption at the moment as funds are quite tight!
Cheers Kipsy

If I aint sideways, I aint trying hard enough!!!!!!!
Find all posts by this user
10-17-2006, 03:03 PM
kipsy,

you still have a stock 4ag?

why not go scrapyard hunting for a newer block? it must have seen alot of abuse to be smoking so much and its probably cheaper solution just to swap a block from a scrapper in there.. then you can take you time and take this one appart,fix it up, and then sell the scrapper block or sell this block Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-17-2006, 04:38 PM
sometimes the minimum is overhauling the engine but then thats what it was with my 86....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
And sometimes it's just a gasket... have a good look at it and decide for yourself.. you can run the engine to the ground and buy another one if it does.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-17-2006, 11:28 PM
mine did the same and most of it was leaking out of the distributor oil seal straight onto the exhaust manifold Huh maybe worth a check

An analogue brain in a digital World
10-18-2006, 04:06 AM
rotational spare is seems that my car is doing the same thing. she burns alot of oil but it seems to smoke form under the hood as well. is this a hard fix?
10-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Easy fix !! The distributor will need to come out to replace the 'O' ring on its shaft, that's about it, but don't forget to mark the distributor position before removing it.... good luck

An analogue brain in a digital World
10-19-2006, 04:18 PM
yup, same here...and i get some really nasty smelling fumes in the inside of the car...damn... Huh

adam
10-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Kipsy, get oil thickener for a few quid in a motorfactors, this will help, I had a UK Gt Coupe that used to drink more oil than petrol until I used this, It doesnt stop the problem but your 4age will last for ages yet.
I remember driving from Doncaster to Cardiff for the WRC the day after servicing it, when I got back it took 1 ltr of oil to register on the dipstick!
That engine lasted a good while after that until I descided to so to a boyracer cruise & put a skyline to shame doing dounuts for about 20mins non-stop until the bottom-End rattled. Oil starved prob from diffing in one direcion too long

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
10-20-2006, 10:56 AM
on rallies I quite regular use 1litre of oil after driving to the rally and competing! The engine goes really well and doesnt rattle- just smokes a bit! She still loves having the tits revved of her especially around hairpins, slots etc!

If I aint sideways, I aint trying hard enough!!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What suspension set up are people using? kazi 8 7,468 07-06-2017 05:26 AM
Last Post: headrush
  Using a different diff in an AE86 megabob 6 7,463 02-17-2015 03:37 PM
Last Post: megabob
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,956 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Using stock gauges with an engine conversion Escy 8 7,408 10-04-2013 03:42 PM
Last Post: Jezza_hr
  Oil cooler -> low oil pressure Jan Pedersen 24 28,347 06-06-2013 07:36 PM