Metal removal at rear, opinions
12-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Nice writeup, lots of good ideas Smile

Did my pockets today, wont remove thin pisece behind bumper, but pockets are gone.
Were in terrible condition, when removed i wighted them around 3,5kg (both).

Nohachi, how much kg can be saved Daihatsu alternator ? Is it worth the hassle ?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
12-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Uzelac Wrote:Nice writeup, lots of good ideas Smile

Did my pockets today, wont remove thin pisece behind bumper, but pockets are gone.
Were in terrible condition, when removed i wighted them around 3,5kg (both).

Nohachi, how much kg can be saved Daihatsu alternator ? Is it worth the hassle ?

Thanks

3.5kg is a huge amount of metal! Have you got pics of the final result?

If looking at weight around the alternator, replacing the factory cast metal bracket with an alloy one would save a lot.
12-29-2012, 04:29 AM
I haven't seen lightweight propshafts being mentioned here, surely that's something else to add to the list?
12-29-2012, 05:00 AM
Jezza_hr Wrote:I haven't seen lightweight propshafts being mentioned here, surely that's something else to add to the list?

There is 2.6kg in savings in going from 2 piece to 2 piece (including the extra hardware needed to mount the 2 piece.

I really dont think a carbon drive shaft will save much of anything to be honest. The single piece I think from memory was 5-6kg.
12-29-2012, 06:44 AM
4000GT Wrote:
Jezza_hr Wrote:I haven't seen lightweight propshafts being mentioned here, surely that's something else to add to the list?

There is 2.6kg in savings in going from 2 piece to 2 piece (including the extra hardware needed to mount the 2 piece.

I really dont think a carbon drive shaft will save much of anything to be honest. The single piece I think from memory was 5-6kg.

Forgot about that...
If you thinking doing that go one piece! (Do you have adjustable link bars, to correct the pinion angle?)
Use RX8 prop and adapt the ends to it, 100gbp for the prop and another 100 for the fabrication, cheap. ad you´re loosing rotating mass, lot more worth than just 2,6kg!

One more thing, I recently changed from TRD blues and springs to a set of GAZ coilovers, definatly saved a few kg´s there as well!

I hate to say but you´re in an expensive territory, were you need to consider everything. 2,6kg rotating mass is massive, and well worth the effort, but the prop ain´t as important as the clutch, cause its after the gearbox, do the clutch first!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
12-29-2012, 07:51 AM
The weights I have seen in carbon driveshafts is 7kg, so heavier than the one piece drive shaft I have. Yes I have full adjustable rear arms, but an switching out to an S13 rear end soon.

The flywheel is a lightweight Excedy version.

Not worried about the cost. I was going to hold off on changing the TRD suspension I have till I do the S13 rear end and go Tein in all likelihood.
12-29-2012, 11:46 AM
4000GT Wrote:The weights I have seen in carbon driveshafts is 7kg, so heavier than the one piece drive shaft I have. Yes I have full adjustable rear arms, but an switching out to an S13 rear end soon.

The flywheel is a lightweight Excedy version.

Not worried about the cost. I was going to hold off on changing the TRD suspension I have till I do the S13 rear end and go Tein in all likelihood.

I know the S13 rearend is done and tested but you might want to have a look around other rearends as the S13 one is pretty heavy too although unsprung but I guess an FD one should be lighter if the size works out.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Dicking around with the rear end is a lot easier to get wrong then it is to get right. I disagree that its done and tested. I haven't heard of any fast AE86s on the planet with the S13 rear end doing well in any kind of timed motorsport, but chime in if they exist.

Is a swap like that even allowed in class?

How are you doing in class now? There is a lot of time in setup/tires/data anlysis and driver development. Whole seconds in stead of the tenths you'll find with further weight reduction. How far are you along that curve? Might be a better place to continue looking.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-29-2012, 12:35 PM
What about this?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Metal removal at rear, opinions]

Im sure that would lose alot of weight!
12-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Part of the S13 conversion is to do with future development of the car, Ill likely do a 3UZ turbo or 7AGTE conversion in a couple of years, so the plan is finish the widebody, do the S13 front and rear suspension to get the offset right for some CR01 wheels and dunlop slicks. Ill be using all alloy arms etc so I think the rear end weight might not be that much over the live axle.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE cylinder head plug removal Ivan141 5 1,200 09-30-2023 09:47 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Sill removal totta Crolla 3 1,379 09-14-2022 06:30 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Why Manual Steering Rack ?? Power Steering Removal juantonwan 26 40,364 10-02-2014 06:07 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Suspension Opinions - Please vote! Bean 32 28,214 09-11-2014 12:53 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Heater blower removal phill 92 2 4,006 12-13-2012 10:55 AM
Last Post: allencr