Megasquirt talk (split from robokills project thread)
03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
190bucks complete with all sensors?
stimulator pcb? no idea what itis

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2006, 05:21 PM
190 dollars excl shipping. Kit includes the megasquirt PCB, ECU, housing and all the electronic components, including a MAP sensor that can handle boost.
A stimulator is a small board that you can plug into you megasquirt while it's still on your desk and creates test signals for the inputs and has LED's to check the output of your megasquirt. It's the very least you need to be able to test if the megasquirt you built works like it's supposed to.

That's where the advantage of doing this for more people comes from...you only need one stimulator, and if people have exhaust headers with mounting points for lambda sensors, you could tune many cars using a single wideband sensor to get a nice mapping, and then switch over to a cheaper narrowband for your daily driving closed loop operation.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2006, 06:44 PM
ivan when my new salary comes in we are gonne order one :-)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
03-06-2006, 04:59 AM
The difficult bit comes after assembly and install, though most people don't see it that way.. If you are not going to invest a lot of time and money in tuning it with a WBO2 etc, then you are way better of with a piggyback and the stock ecu (where much of this work was already done for you.

Gues that there already must be some file out there containing all the sensor outputs of the 4A-GE..saves you the trouble of measuring them etc.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
03-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Been thinking of also buying the really expensive sensor for the exhaust. (ivan what name ? <--)

Anyways with a full build we should be able to run a good clean 4age. Because of my cams I would then be able to finetune it on a power bench!

We'll see what happens ;-)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
03-06-2006, 12:12 PM
That expensive sensor is the WBO2 that NoHachi was talking about. Wideband lambda...
If we can get the tuning right you'll probably get it to run better then with a stock ECU. Especially the blended Alpha-N/Speed-density function could come in handy to get it to idle smoother (engine runs on TPS sensor data instead of MAP sensor which doesnt get a clean signal with bigger cams). But those cams arent very extreme so I dont expect much problems with at idle.
I expect the ignition part to be the most difficult to install. Running fuel is kinda plug-and-play since all the sensors are allready there. Ignition requires a bit more thinking. But the advantage is that once you've figured it out, it's easy to switch to wasted spark coils/coil-on-plug setups.
I do believe you can use the stock igniter unit to interface with megasquirt and just use the stock signal from the distributor. Then you only have to fuck around with the dwell settings and hope you dont blow up your coil before you get it right.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-07-2006, 11:11 AM
I did have MS on th ered turbo ae86,and it was working great,

This time i will try a VEMS ecu,as this also have included in the ecu, a wideband controller,so you can both map the car by wideband,but also run closedloop WB.

There is a lambda tabel, as well as fuel ,and ignition.

So you put in what you want the lab´mbda number to be,and the ECU,will run that.

It can also run COP.

This unit is around 400euro,so a bit more expinsive,but not to bad,if you don´t already have a wideband.

/Skassa

Any fool can go fast in a straight line.
VEMS Blacktop 4AGTE20V 272hp/350nm
"""www.turbotoys.dk"""
03-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Vems is a very nice ECU as well, basically runs on the same software as megasquirt. The only things I dislike about it are the fact that it is more expensive (I'm really a cheap bastard), and the fact that it's all surface mounted electronics.
The price does become more interesting when you want to buy WBO2 anyway.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Just to let you know I'm running Innovative LM-1 WB O2 sensor and software and I'm very happy with it.
Dodo, Pero and I bought one WB O2 and we "time share" it when somebody need it. At the moment it's in my Nissan, but i hope it would be used in my AE86, just like in Dodo's RX8 turbo or Pero's EVO VI TME...

So my suggestion is to you that buy one of this wb sensor and just share it between you.

Few screenshots
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Megasquirt talk (split from...ct thread)]
My 2D fuel map

And my 3D map

At the moment I'm running 276Hp at the wheels, boost is 1.0 Bar Hurray!

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
03-07-2006, 01:53 PM
That was also my idea...just tune multiple cars using 1 wideband, and run them using a narrowband or something daily.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets talk engine mounts kazi 6 7,093 08-31-2017 12:46 PM
Last Post: parrot
  Oil plug thread size is M18x1.5 ???? Dino86 5 8,574 06-07-2012 04:54 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  AE86 Temperature gauge sender thread? 4AGE FORD 1 3,665 03-20-2011 01:25 AM
Last Post: 4AGE FORD
  Megasquirt I v3.0 and toyota distributor/igniter harkes 12 32,116 10-02-2009 01:19 PM
Last Post: Chrisso
  MegaSquirt and Direct Coil Control harkes 1 2,857 06-25-2009 06:19 PM
Last Post: harkes