MAP Harness help
04-20-2007, 12:42 AM
MAP Harness help
I have a engine harness for a MAP AE92 and was told it would work plug and play in the AE86 then someone else said the 86 map and the 92 map harnesses are totally different. Wondering which is the case and if its the ladder how would i make it work. Also is the kouki 86 engine harness the same as the zenki?

- Fuzzy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2007, 05:06 AM
MAP Harness help
AE92 is front wheel drive and AE86 is rear wheel drive so engines point different ways, ECU's are located in different spots for a start, but that can be managed by adjusting length of loom. AE92 sensors have different plugs compared to most of the AE86 stuff. There are differences in Kouki & Zenki looms but not sure when this began. Easiest way to differentiate them is the presence or absence of the centre firewall connector between the engine loom and dash loom.

Then you need to determine if you have a later AE92 100kw smallport loom or an early 86KW AE92 bigport loom. They came with both. Smallport loom has no TVIS amongst numerous other differences, plus ECU's are not interchangeable between big and smallport looms.

Doesn't mean you can't make it work, just more complicated
Find all posts by this user
04-20-2007, 07:50 AM
MAP Harness help
parrot Wrote:Then you need to determine if you have a later AE92 100kw smallport loom or an early 86KW AE92 bigport loom.
Easiest way to check this is to look at the two (third one is on the dashboard harness) ECU plugs - big yellow plugs are bigport, smaller gray plugs are smallport.
04-20-2007, 10:20 AM
MAP Harness help
What engine do you have in the AE86 ??

What ECU are you using ??

Does the loom match the ECU ??

I have swapped a smallport into an AE86 and used the smallport ECU.
Injector plugs and most sensor plugs are different. AE86 dashboard
loom has to be spliced into the smallport loom, and all the ECU wires
lengthened. Big job if you are not an auto electrician Confused

Cheers... jondee86

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.
04-21-2007, 12:34 AM
MAP Harness help
I am currently building a hicomp motor with a bluetop big port head. The reason for my questions is that i plan on running a PowerFC and didnt want to short it out was a $$ purchase heh to screw up because the power wire is in a different spot or something. I dont really need TVIS and plan to use only minimal connections but this does look like its going to be a job in itself maybe i should just get a 86 one heh the harness does come with a stock ecu for it tho.

- Fuzzy
04-21-2007, 11:00 AM
MAP Harness help
If you only want minimal wiring, there is no reason why you couldn't
use the smallport factory ECU and loom. You would have to lengthen
the wires, and that is easy enough. I'm told you only need about six
wires to get the engine to run... but don't ask me which six Tongue

Good luck with the project !!

Cheers... jondee86

05-21-2007, 12:57 PM
MAP Harness help
Ok so I got the right harness (japan ae86 one) and installed it but have a few bugs but got the car running. I followed the diagrams and moved the pins i needed to move. Where i stand now is the car runs but it runs super rich rev it and black smoke shoots out. I have a blue/red wire that says its for the tps/map but when i plug it in the car idles like crap. with out it idles fine just hunts. Check engine light throws a code 2 and 7 but havent cleared it since i got it running.

The harness i have has all the connections everything is plugged in except for the thick yellow wire on the 10-pin connector and this green plug i cannot find where it goes see pics.

One major issue currently is I have a powerfc and when i plug that in the car wont even start it. the starter just cranks but the powerfc comes on like everythings fine but thats my second issue would like to get the car running decent first.

Im also using a usdm TPS could that be my problem what im worried about is my map sensor is dead but im kinda stuck at this point not sure what to do.

- Fuzzy
07-05-2007, 01:57 PM
MAP Harness help
UPDATE: I Scraped that harness and bought a new one from japan it is the correct one this time the only problem I am having is I dont know how to rewire the harness for the firewall. Does anyone have the diagram on how to do this? The harness i got the inside harness connector is inside the car and on my car its on the firewall. I was told all i have to do is extend the wires and figure out which one goes where.

- Fuzzy
07-06-2007, 10:24 AM
MAP Harness help
Most AE86's I have seen have a connector plug on the engine side
of the firewall, high up near the centreline of the car. This connects
the dashboard loom (harness) to the engine loom.

On my car the plug had connections for :

1. Backup (reversing) light switch (2 pins)
2. Igniter power supply
3. Water temp gauge (on instrument panel)
4. Oil pressure gauge (on instrument panel)
5. Tacho (rev meter) signal
6. Starter/cold start injector
7. Power supply to injectors
8. One spare pin (9 pins total)

No doubt there will be variations according to the model/spec of
car, but if this is the connector you are working on, it might help Smile

Cheers... jondee86

07-07-2007, 03:19 AM
MAP Harness help
do you happen to have a diagram of where they are so i can compare that to my current one?

- Fuzzy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AFM to Map Conversion ps13michi 3 2,454 01-06-2022 10:34 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP mister86 12 9,686 02-10-2020 06:39 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  AE86 4A-GE 16v engine harness rebuild FanIsHere 7 8,708 01-17-2020 08:04 PM
Last Post: Project D
  extracted freedom ecu 16v ignition map ditn 7 8,146 08-22-2016 10:01 AM
Last Post: ditn
  anyone produce new harness for bluetop?gts driveshaft dinkers542 8 7,691 11-25-2014 09:18 PM
Last Post: dinkers542