Let's Discuss Engine Swaps for the Budget User!
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah I bought the car already. My phrasing was a little off. Sorry about that.

My main question is: Assuming I have the long block 4A-GE and the SR5 stock with blown engine what additional parts would I have to buy? Also what is the total cost of these additional parts.

I am not looking to convert to GTS: I am only looking to swap engines to get the car running at this point.

I was not able to find this info on search since most are converting a 4AC to a 4AGZE (in projects) or a 4AG to something better....

Thanks very much for the help--all of you. I will reciprocate by posting in the projects section with LOTS of pictures to help the other newbies like me Smile
Find all posts by this user
03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I you choose to go for the GT-S swap this write up will help you a lot: http://www.ae86.hu/albums/SR5TOGTS/SR5toGTS.pdf

If its possible I would go for the 4AGE and not waste good money on the 4AC... It might be more expensive now but cheaper in the long run - I don't think the 4AC will keep you happy for that long Wink

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Let's Discuss Engine Swaps ...dget User!]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks much: reading through the pdf right now....its very good. One thing though to make clear: I am NOT trying to convert to GTS; I am just trying to swap engines to get the car running.

If I were to do the 4AG swap there are a few questions I have

1) What is the total cost to do the swap, or what is the cheapest I can do it for? Very important question for me

2) If I do swap the engine will the rest of the stock SR5 hamper the overall performance?

3) Assuming I have the stock SR5 with blown engine and the 4A-GE long block what else do I need to complete the engine swap to get the car running?
03-11-2008, 12:10 PM
look man, 4age swap would be sensible if you were to build this car for the long run, and plan on improoving it till its a proper sports car. Than for a 1000$ you will end up with a nice, possibly rebuild 4ag. Theese engines can go from 100$ to 1000$ and more.. depends on the state the engine is in. For that money you can get the essentials - complete engine with manifolds, wireing harness and ecu.

But you're really not doing anyithing here. This car is much more than just an engine and ofcourse the rest of the car will hamper the performance. To make it proper you will also need better brakes, better suspension and an LSD axle. In the US, this is so much cheaper for you guys.

A must would be some lowering springs (like Tanabe GF210 or Intrax), sporty shocks (like Tokico HP blues) and polyurethane Bushing kit that we all love so much (Prothane). All this would cost you cca 500$. Add to taht a couple of stabiliser bars (tanabe, cusco are cheap and good) -cca 300$ and all you need from a gts are the rear LSD axle with LSD and brakes.

But before you said the mechanic said that the engine is unfixable, now you're saying that owner claims? If i were you, i would try to source a cheap running 4ac or get this one fixed for minimal costs to get hte car running, and just spend the rest of the money on suspension and brakes. Than when the time is right build up a proper 4age.

If youre looking just for cheap thrills, get a 4ac, rip everything off the car to make it 500 pound lighter, cut the springs and weld the differential. voila, a drift car Big Grin
03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
^^Answered all my questions and brought up great points. Thanks Smile

However, I do have a reasoning behind putting the 4AGE in:

First some more information: I have shocks on it (Tokico Blues), and I actually can get a prothane bushing kit real easily (Here its only about 50 US Dollars). The point is though that the engine is blown and I have to replace it. A good 4AC engine will run me around 250 US Dollars, maybe less if I scrimp and save. Furthermore the 4AC engines are not in great condition. This is the main reason...why use scotch tape when you will have to use duct tape in a little while?

My goal is to do the whole engine swap for around 400 US dollars. Heck, my ultimate goal is to make the best out of the 86 for under 1500 USD total (already spent 500 USD on the car so that leaves 1000 for the rest). If you had 1000 bucks and a non running SR5 how would you build it up (shocks and bushings aside). The next logical step would be the engine right? I would think the LSD axel would be the last step.

This car is for the long run as I am very young (1Cool. Not really looking for it purely as a drift car/cheap thrills (very nice bonus), but moreso because I want to learn about cars (newer cars everything electronic), and I want to have something sporty. Initial D aside, the AE86 is a very sensible car to start with. They are also easily available in the US (especially in California), and there is a bunch of aftermarket support!

The owner claims his mechanic said the engine was unfixable...I forgot the specific problem.

Lastly, I don't think I will be using the stabilizer bars at this stage (at least not until I get the LSD axel).

In organized format:

1) Suspension/Bushings/Brakes/Wheel Alignment (big deal for me)
2) Decent Engine since the 4AC would become a sunk cost.
3) Rear Axel, LSD
4) Stabilizer Bars, Seats, Steering Wheel, Paint Job

That's my order from browsing these boards. Please tell me if I am wrong.
03-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Also I know its tough to ask you guys for the total price of a swap (prices/currency different and what not). As long as I know what to buy I can try to get good deals. I just don't want to forget something and realize it costs 200 dollars and go overbudget.

So to complete the swap I have:

SR5 with blown 4AC

I need:
4A-GE longblock
Intake and Exhaust Manifolds
ECU
Wiring Harness

That is everything correct? And if I wanted AC/heater what would I have to add?
03-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry, but i dont think you can get the best out of this car for just 1000$. i've spent around 5000$ and it only now it's starting to come together.. not even runing yet. and thats without any expensive coilover setups or engine tuning.

You're focusing too much on the "big" things such as the engine, LSD axle etc. but you're forgeting numerous little things that come up and take time and money. The best you can do with your 1000$ now is to restore the car as good as you possibly can. That means, rust, bushings, shocks/springs, brakes/brake lines, clutch, fix engine/get new one, service it -fluids, filters, tires, brake pads, and all the little tidbits that come along (body/electrical/chasiss related etc..) to make a car as good as new.

A healthy sr5 will be a much better car and a much more enjoyable experience than a fucked up ae86. If you're in it for the long run, this is the way to go.

regards.
03-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Okay: I see what you are saying.

I agree with you. LSD axel is not worth it right now. As for the parts you mentioned to be fixed I will do that. But my only concern is that if I replace say the brake lines for the sr5, enjoy it for a few months, and then decide to swap to GTS, will I not have to change brake lines or are they both common?

Basically I want to replace a part that will be used on a GTS. It can be small thing as you suggest, but I just don't want the part to be obsolete when I convert to GTS.
03-12-2008, 12:50 AM
you'll just have to accept theese things. Car is a big expense, it will cost you much more than you initially expect. Once youll get the car up and running you'll se what i mean. There is a lot of "usage" stuff like petrol, oil, filters, gaskets, brake pads, tranny oil, diff oil, brake and clutch fluid, window wipers, timing belt, waterpump/alternator belt, sparkplugs, e-brake cables, tires, brake lines, bushings, shocks, springs etc.. and all that considering nothing goes wrong, nothing breaks, and that you dont kiss them guard rails or curbs too offten. and even then you'll still have to pay for insurance, MOT, road usage etc..

What i'm saying is, theres little concern to be had over reusing brake lines, as the cost is neglectable compared to the costs of running a healthy car. If you dont have the resources to do that, my advice is just keep the car in the garage untill you have them. Meanwhile you can do little tidbits to make a car better.
03-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Okay agreed. So then I will start by dropping a 4AC in just to get it running eh?

I did more research on the 4AG swap and it was much more complicated than I thought a few hours ago.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Budget complete handling package DidiDex 15 14,217 01-30-2015 03:06 AM
Last Post: Project D
  toyota a series engine....can a fwd corolla engine be used 210 datsun guy 5 7,675 10-30-2013 11:18 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Suspension swaps from other cars ? Okami 5 5,130 01-15-2012 04:49 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Let's solve my 20V conversion problems Jezza_hr 11 11,303 06-16-2010 01:48 PM
Last Post: fkn16v
  just bought sum celica supras an im on a budget need tires?? truebluegallo 4 4,223 10-28-2008 10:21 PM
Last Post: banpei