LSD whinning
11-23-2008, 04:07 AM
LSD whinning
Hi all

Wonder if all 2way LSD do heavy whinning ?

Friend has Tomei one and it's too loud for everyday riding.
Is TRD also loud ? Which one is more subtle ?

Thanks, regards
Find all posts by this user
11-23-2008, 11:01 AM
LSD whinning
I think that you will find the noise is from the crown wheel and pinion and not from the lsd unit . It may not have been set up correctly when the lsd unit has been installed.
11-23-2008, 12:16 PM
LSD whinning
i'm with nzae86, a LSD doesn't whine, it's the ring & pinion which whine.

LSd's rattle, click and punch Tongue
Allthough my TRD 2 way lsd is very silent and easy for a daily use.

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
11-23-2008, 08:24 PM
LSD whinning
Thanks for info.

He had genuine Toyota AE86 LSD and in that time car was quiet.
After installation of Tomei whining noise appeared.
I guess the mechanic did the lousy job then, or there is some other problem with fitting.

Either way, my AE86 is open at the moment. If mechanic installs TRD (for example) 2way diff correctly, your guess is that there won't be heavy whining noise.

Just to be clear, I’m aware that transmission can be loud. My every day driving car is Impreza WRX and it's much louder than average car but it is far away from too noisy.
Friends AE86 on other hand is terrible Smile.

I'm planning 2way diff but the thought of that loud transmission makes me scary Big Grin.

Regards
11-23-2008, 08:46 PM
LSD whinning
Probably the ring and pinion aren't adjusted right OR the bearings are bad.
11-24-2008, 01:10 AM
LSD whinning
I'm having the same issue. I'm not a newbie in these matter but I'm not sure what to do now.

Long time ago I had my stock ring and pinion and it was whinning a little. When I installed the Tomei LSD, I adjusted the backlash and it was ok, running one or two track days with slicks.

Then I installed 4.778 new ring and pinion and it ran fine for a few hundred miles but when I got it around the racetrack for the first time, the whinning came pretty bad. I had installed a solid spacer and adjusted the backlash although I didn't gave much attention to the pinion/ring contact.

I removed everything back again and sent it for a shop to install but today I drove it for the first time and it is even worse.

My question is. After a ring and pinion start to whine is it possible to reinstall correctly producing less noise? Or do I have to get new parts to solve my problem?

What about racing or hard track day use cars... do they all eventually whine or is it just an installation flaw?

I really don't know what to do now!

Best regards
11-24-2008, 03:39 AM
LSD whinning
I have a TRD LSD and 4.778 r+p in the rally car. Though I had to adjust it for a few times, cause of broken halfshafts, it was never loud or whining.

http://www.sg-rallyesport.de
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
LSD whinning
Quote:My question is. After a ring and pinion start to whine is it possible to reinstall correctly producing less noise? Or do I have to get new parts to solve my problem?

I don't think you ring and pinion can be reused again without noise.
The noise is produced by a incorrect contact between the tooth of the pinion and the ring, if you ran many km with an improper contact you will change the helicoidal shape of the tooth and you'll never be able to eliminate the noise.

As you know, the same thing happened with me and the only solution i found was to order a new R&P from Spence.
Until yesterday no problems with noise but after the yesterday's trackday, there's already a slight whinning noise around 3.000 rpm.

The problem with shorter FGR is that it becomes more difficulto to properly tune the contact between pinion and ring. The less number of toothe you have, more difficult becomes the tune.

In my case, if the noise appears again i will go back to OE FGR. Angry

Keeping the AE86 alive!
11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
LSD whinning
Provided it's shimmed to correct spec, there shouldn't be any significant increase in noise with a 4.7 compared to std final gear set.

VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITES!!!!
A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film
Dedication To Automotive Perfection

Japan Office Tel - (Calls charged at UK National Rate): 0207-193-3979.
Mobile (Japan): +81- (0) 90-4133-3825 Fax (Japan): +81-(0) 47-307-4678
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-26-2008, 02:44 PM
LSD whinning
Hello guys,

Im the friend Uzelac is talking about. The car was fine the first 500km so I don't think it was improperly installed, and when I began driving it harder the whining started right after that.

It whines from 60kph onwards, and gets a bit quieter from 80kph+. At 220 on the speedo the car sounds more like an aircraft.

The question is will the new ring and pinion fix this and the old ones just started whining because they were already worn and the tomei LSD just sped up its degradation, or will the new ones i eventually buy drop as old parts did?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrading no-LSD diff to LSD one Snejk 22 16,637 04-01-2008 04:46 PM
Last Post: Snejk
  Not understanding LSD - how LSD works surfingdrums 11 15,025 09-13-2006 11:58 AM
Last Post: Mux213