LPG on AE86? Is it smart?
11-12-2006, 12:24 AM
in the past i hade a hachi on lpg and when i sold the car it have 180.000km run on lpg and the engine was still in good shape.in my town is a guy with a ae82 and he has always runs on lpg. He have now 270.000km on his clock with original engine!So my opinion is 4age works great on gas

daily driver avensis 2.0 d4d and Yaris 1.0
weekend driver 1985 AE86
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Would a programmable ECU be able to have two settings with the flip of a switch? Just one for LPG and one for petrol? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - LPG on AE86? Is it smart?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Performance/fun car or daily driver ?
LPG is not bad itself. But most installations are incorrect - this leads to heavy problems (gasoline fuel system in general, some engine issues if you choose incorrect ignition advance and lean fuel mixtures). Just remember - LPG is very different than gasoline. If you just add LPG installation you will notice less top power, possibly exhaust valves damage, more often exhaust tubes/muffler change, fuel injectors and pump failure, fuel tank will rust more internally (all these issues can be avoided if you use more spark advance when switch to LPG and if you ensure periodically gasoline runs - at least start the engine on gasoline and later switch to LPG, drive with enough fuel in gasoline tank etc...).
I already had bad expirience with 2 AE86s (not mine) running on LPG (fuel pump died, fuel tank rusted and leaky, clogged injectors).
11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
yes... my predictions were true...

Thanks a lot guys... My opinion was that this is a car soly for fun and maybe dayli drive... Putting a LPG on would;
1. mess up the balance of the car
2. could blow the engine if not instaled properly
3. I would lose the money that I am suposed to get, for the suspension...
4. I always say that: oil and light oil is for heating, gas is for cooking and gasoline is for driving... Smile So... LPG is definetly of...

Smile

Thanks.
I was thinking about it just because it is more than half a price diference between a liter of gas and a liter of fuel...

BUT
In last 2 days I drowe 650km. Went to the sea and back, drove the car on a winding mountain roads, highways... Averaged around 100km/h (so not realy gentle ride, some 100km squeeling tire drive Smile and so on...70% of the drive was up-down-hill). Consumption was around 11L / 100km. That is realy low... from mine point of view. Celica drank with similar drive around 15l/100km...
(2 KAS- Zagreb- Rabac, in Rabac on hillclimb race, some 6 times up and down the track training with Hitrec and solo... Smile full throtle... me satisfyed)

SNO-MO-BIRU project started- CHIRO
11-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Just to mention:
1 and 3 are not true for LPG (these are CNG issues).
There is a way to use LPG without problems, my posting concerns installation issues.
11-15-2006, 12:55 PM
2 Mrgud: If you drive easy, Hachi don't need to much petrol, but if you push it, Hachi NEED a lot of Petrol.

On Mobikrog, mine consumption was about 20 L/100 km and on competition, about 35 L/100 km.

1984 AE 86 Levin hatchback
1989 AE 92 GTi
2004 Kawasaki KLE 500

CROATIA - small country for great drift